forbes 400 lucas #56

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DARTHMORDOR, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSil Jedi Master

star 4
    Well regardless, he's about to get another huge chunk of money pumped into his fortune when the Indy box set goes on sale next week. And yes, I'll be gettin' one! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    QUEEN_LEIA is quite entitled to post her opinions. Her P.O.V. is not unique. And at least she had the courtesy to explain why she thinks the way she does.

Those that have attacked her personally are way out of line and could do with actually arguing their case against what she says.

3. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Jp, I did that. in fact, I listed all the other films Lucas was involved in, as well as some post SW and dismissed her notion that American Graffiti didn't acomplish much, as the film was a massive hit and considered a top 100 film of all time. She also claimed American Graffiti was his first project, which was wrong.

She has a right to voice her opinions, but she handles it in the wrong way.

And I'm not alone on this, as several mods from other forums have discussed her attitude on a weekly basis and me and other members have had discussions with various mods who are in agreement.. If it was a rare thing, fine. But it is not and she knows she is baiting and does it so purposely.

Also note, that her argument is based entirely on assumption and not fact. I backed up my counter argument. And I can back it up even more and post more evidence to the contrary about Lucas' productions and business practices OUTSIDE of Star Wars and Indy.
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I was more referring to the other two posters, not you.

5. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well by that definition there is too fine a line between opinion and and trolling ;-) Butthat's a matter for MODs. Anyway...

If that service is unacceptable or unsatisfactory we, as his employees, have every reason to complain.

Anyway, in that analogy we are his clients, not his employees. But the main point is valid you can certainly complain. I complain about the Han shoots first among other things. And I certainly don't buy every single piece of merchandising or memorabilia.

George Luca$ has embraced the life of a sell-out because ... The man is a money-making machine ... The man is a money-making machine ... etc. (other points about making money)

It's simple to tune that out, maybe others should try it. See above, no one forces you or anyone to buy the stuff. Certainly he is entitled to make a buck. What you fail to realize is that while the over merchansising might be a bit too much or make him a businessman it what has allowed him to finance other stuff which most people aren't aware and/or wouldn't see the light of day. Which brings us to the point about misleading info...

Let's look at his career: his first movie "American Graffiti" ...

As other have pointed out his first directorial debut was THX 1138, certainly a flop but critically aclaimed film. Even before that he was working with Coppola as an assitant on Finnegan's Rainbow and at one point was slated to direct Apocalypsis Now but that was so delayed he went on to make Star Wars.

What exactly was he doing between 1984 and 1997?

More than you think. From the filmmaking viewpoint he has been developing and producing lots of stuff. There's the Indiana Jones trilogy (Indy 3 in 1989), Howard the Duck, Radioland Murders, the Indy TV series, the ewok movies, The Droids/Ewoks cartoons, Labyrinth with Jim Henson, Tucker (1988), Body Heat, Return to Oz, helped producing and distribtuing internationally Mishima and Kurosawa's Kagemusha (The Shadow Warrior), Latino, Willow, Captain Eo, Powaqqatsi, and the Land Before Time.

From his empire and behind the scenes stuff he has worked (and ha been financed with the SW money) the construction of Skywalker Ranch and now the Letterman Digital Arts Center at the Presidio, ILM, LucasArts, Skywalker Sound, Lucasfilm Animation, Lucas Online, Lucas Learning, THX (just spunn off) and the Lucas Educational Foundation. He is also a board member of the Film Foundation for the preservation of film (though I found this a bit ironic as I mentioned elsewhere) and his also given substantial contributions to the USC Film School.

And don't give me the crap about him creating the Indiana Jones series because he did nothing on it

Actually he did and a little research will certainly show that. He came with the original concept based on the old serials, did a fair amount of the wrting of the story, producing, he went on location and even wrote the basic story skeletons for the other 2 movies. Of course the director, Spielberg is the most directly responsible, but Lucas had a substantial involvement.

Everyone gushes over his creations and how he's changed cinema and blah, blah, blah ...

Which is true. True a lot of the things he didn't do directly but his companies did and he at least had the vision to finance those. Lets go through some of them:

* THX: certainly sound has alays been important to Lucas and THX has become leading force in highend audio for film, home entertainment and computers.

* EditDroid and SoundDroid. In particular EditDroid (as you might know Lucas likes edting a lot) inovated the use of non linear editing. EditDroid was also the firt electronic or computer assisted edting film system. They sold untis to universities and editing facilities. Eventually the company was spun off and the technology given to Avid which is the leader in film editing. back then many people thought it would destroy film but nowadays no one would think of editing the old fashioned way.

* ILM there are so numerous. It created the reinassance of VFX (which was vir
  6. DarthSil Jedi Master

star 4
    Great post!

And yep, that looks like about 3 billion dollars worth of work to me. :D
  7. JediKnightOB1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Great explanation, Malducin. Good job!!!
  8. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Another thing to note is that this is according to net worth, which includes revenue and assets (I'm not a financial guide). If you look at salaries in the entertainment industry Lucas was number 2 with 185 million. Spielberg was number one in salary or pay, with 200 million, even though his net worth was less than Lucas.
  9. DARTHMORDOR Jedi Master

star 4
    wow kinda brings it full circle.

thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.