main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Forbes: How To Make The Next 'Star Wars' Trilogy Awesome

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...o-to-make-the-next-star-wars-trilogy-awesome/

Here's a great article from Forbes detailing steps they think Disney should take to make the ST awesome. Suggestions include getting Joss Whedon to write and direct (not gonna happen for a 2015 release), getting Pixar involved, bringing back the OT cast for cameos, making use of muppets rather than going full CG, and tapping into the EU.

I think one of the best points they make is that the ST should be centered around characters and not events:
    Imagine if the films had been about the friendship between Obi Wan and Anakin; imagine if they’d really built up that friendship and made it deeply important and emotional. The betrayal would have actually mattered. Instead, the entire relationship between those two men was flat and unbelievable. Anakin’s ultimate turn to the Dark Side was…confusing.

There's definitely room for debate there, but I definitely agree that there could have been a lot more focus put on their friendship in AOTC and ROTS.

And I'm definitely on board for a proper blu-ray release of the OOT. Make it happen Disney!

2. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    People complain about movie industry greed but now we're taking moviemaking advice from Forbes? *sigh*

Getting Pixar involved? To what end? George Lucas founded Pixar.... but he also founded ILM.... I dare anybody to complain about the quality of the digital effects in star wars as a flaw...

LawJedi likes this.
  3. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, I think it was Pixar who did the CG Death Star hologram in Return of the Jedi.

4. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    He started the company (Then called Graphics Group) in 1979... talk about being ahead of his time.... 1986 it became a corporation and Steve Jobs bought a majority share of it for 5 million. I wonder if Lucas was totally out or maintained stock? Anywho.. Lucasfilm and Pixar are back together again. It cost Disney over 7B for Pixar... and over 4B for Lucasfilm (and god knows how much in stock..) So imagine Disney in a world without Lucas?

5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I think Forbes's assessment of the prequels is too negative and it would have been nice if the author had explained why Liam Neeson didn't add anything to the films. Because if you ask me, Liam Neeson played the part well and his character was the best character of the entire prequel trilogy. Samual L. Jackson, I can understand. Mace Windu could have been played by Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington and that would have been a lot better.

Also, in this day and age, muppets would stick out like a sore thumb.

6. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Love Liam Neeson. Love Qui Gon Jinn. I was just touching on this in a different thread, but I like the dynamic of roles that grow and shrink. Mace Windu became a bigger role. Jar Jar became a smaller one. Character's stories sometimes continue on, even if they are only in the background of the main action.

Qui Gon is interesting because his story (minus the force ghost thing) is ending just as we as an audience enter it. His story is primarily before Phantom Menace. Then Lucas finds a way to keep enhacing Qui Gon's story by revealing in the next movie that he was trained by Dooku. And then once again in Revenge of the Sith we learn that Qui Gon can communicate from beyond...

InterestingLurker likes this.
  7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Another thing: Noone but George Lucas should write and direct episodes of the Skywalker Saga. They should just go ahead and hire a director to shoot a script written by somebody else, and keep Kennedy in creative control - as they did with TESB and ROTJ. GL trusts KK with handling this trilogy the way he handled the OT. I trust GL.

Collaboration works
    /LM

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Here, here. Qui-Gon is an increadibly underrated character. Perhaps Luke will meet his Force ghost in the sequel trilogy? I can only hope.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  9. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith hints that Qui Gon has made contact with Yoda and then Yoda is going to teach Obi Wan to communicate with Qui Gon (Training, but in what sense?). Yoda, Obi Wan and Anakin all eventually have the ability to project an image of their body back into the visual world.... so it seems like Qui Gon is moving in that direction.

George Lucas is crafty. What if Qui Gon is the guiding spirit of the next trilogy.

Or actually... now that I'm on this train of thought. The Sith and Anakin were obsessed with that idea of living forever. But it is the Jedi who we've really seen make progress. First Qui Gon's voice, then Obi Wan in visible form. What if the next step is flesh and blood resurrection? I’d say its far fetched, but with this progression we’ve already seen under consideration it actually feels more plausible…

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This is, in my opinion, the single best way to sum up everything that went wrong with the PT. The people making SW7 need to _pay attention_ to these words from this unlikely but insightful source.

Grimby and fishtailsam like this.
  11. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    I understood Anakin's fall (which was gradual.. not "ultimate") perfectly, and the Anakin / Obi Wan relationship was quite good... especially in Revenge of the Sith where we saw it at its best and worst.

12. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I believe he retained rights to any software they developed but I don't know if this was for a negotiated time period or in perpetuity.

13. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Did you read the artical? Pixar is good at STORY. that is what George fails at. That is how Pixar can help.

14. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    George...does NOT...fail at story.

If he fails at anything, it's dialog, not story.

15. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    George freely admits that he is not a good writer, that he doesn't like plot and characters. The reason the OT was such a good tale, was because of his friends DEPALMA, COPPALLA, SPIELBURG, and his wife. Once the PT rolled around George was in a bubble. Thus the STORY in the PT is terrible.

The point...
    This artical hits it on the head. Pixar and Lasiter (sp?) will help. I think any CG characters should be motion capture hand puppets like Jim Henson does for their kids shows.

16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Disney is once again the top movie maker, top animation maker, top FX entity and top sound FX company because of Lucas and Marvel.

17. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I think you're confusing a screenplay with story. When it says "story by george lucas", that means it is his story, usually written in treatment form. The help you say he got wasn't or wouldn't have been until the screenwriting phase. He didn't ask DePalma, Coppola, and Spielberg for help coming up with a story that he had been working off and on about since he was a child watching Buck Rogers serials.

As someone posted in this thread, read his treatments. That's the raw source of story and they are very good.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. GL understands what a story is better than any of these young hacks cranking out calculated tentpole blockbusters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.