Before Forbidden Legacy: In This Storm - Tahl/Qui-Gon - AU/Romance/Action/Angst - UPDATE 12/5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediXManSerenaKenobi, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Forbidden Legacy: In This Storm

By Serena Kenobi

AU. Young, blind and resentful librarian Tahl has nothing to live for. That is, until a young and kind Knight abruptly stumbles into her life. Despite the restrictions of the code, will these two young Jedi listen to rules? or obey their feelings? In the midst of all this, the Sith are rising again?

Author's note: I've never written anything Before the Saga before, so hang with me. Also, Tahl will probably be OOC - she's supposed to be. This will be an EXTREMELY AU fic.

Also, this chapter is short. I will try to make chapters longer in the future.

PM LIST

Obi-Gon_Skywalker
    C1-J2
    KELIA
    VaderLVR64
    bkwrm752003
    all_othr_nams_tkn
    JediLuminaraUnduli
    Jedi-Gon
    Quietman77
    qui-gon_and_tahl
    Seremela
    Ubersue
    lilacph
    Sara_Kenobi

Fear? leads to anger? anger? leads to hate? hate? leads? to?

Kriff! I can?t do this anymore!

Tahl opened her eyes. Blinked. Blinked again. She scowled deeply. ?This is pointless. It?s not as if I will be able to see again by doing this,? she said angrily.

?Calm yourself, young one,? Yoda said, his gravelly voice echoing in the quiet chamber. ?Let the Force flow through you.?

?It doesn?t help,? Tahl said bitterly. ?It doesn?t matter. The Force won?t help me regain my sight. The Force didn?t help me block the lightsaber that singed my eyes. The Force isn?t there.?

Yoda sighed. ?Must bitterness I sense in you, Tahl. Learn to accept your fate you must and let go of your pain.?

?I?ve accepted it,? she said dully. ?I?ve accepted that my life will never be the same again. I?ve accepted that the Force has seemingly abandoned me.? She put her head down. Feeling a small, clawed hand on her own, she turned her head to where she knew Yoda was.

?Despair, do not,? he said quietly. ?Many things I sense in your future. A bright and promising student, you are.?

Tahl turned her head away. ?I?m a twenty-one-year old blind Jedi,? she said darkly. ?What do I have left to live for??

Yoda was silent for a moment. ?A skilled thinker you are, Knight Tahl,? he said. ?A new addition to the archives staff, I think you will be.?

?A? librarian?? The word tasted sour in her mouth. Librarians were so? dull!

Yoda chuckled. ?Despite how it may seem, believe you will enjoy it, I do. Immense knowledge you have of planets, politics, and history.?

?Yes, but-?

?Many Jedi there are that do not fight,? Yoda reminded her. ?Also skilled you are at interrogating and solving challenging mysteries.?

Tahl sighed. ?But Master? I don?t? I?m not sure I?m? cut out to be an archivist.?

?Something else you would be??

She frowned. ?I don?t know.?

Yoda made a thoughtful sound. ?Come. To the archives we will go.? He led her through the Jedi temple slowly, taking his time, until they reached the archives. Jocasta Nu, the head librarian, met them as they entered.

?Master Yoda, Knight Tahl,? she greeted. ?What can I do for you??

?Knight Tahl, a job she would like,? Yoda said before Tahl could get anything out. Tahl opened her mouth in protest but chose not to object.

?A job?? Tahl could hear the surprise and almost suspicion in Nu?s voice. ?Well, I?m sure we could find something for you, my dear.? The statement was condescending to say the least, and Tahl found herself growing irritated.

I?m not an invalid! She was tempted to scream. But that wasn?t true. She was an invalid. ?Whatever you have is fine,? she said through clenched teeth. How is this fair? Why did this happen to me?

Tahl reached her quarters a long time later after securing a position as a librarian in the Archives. She supposed she should be grateful to Yoda for his help, but? how much could she do with no vision? How could she direct people properly?

How could she function anymore, knowing she?d never see anyone? or anything again?

Frustrated to her breaking point, Tahl collapsed upon her sofa and burst into tears.

TBC... />/>
  2. Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    What a great start! =D=

Aww, poor Tahl! However, I'm sure that Qui-Gon will be able to cheer her up :D...Do you do PM updates?
  3. C1-J2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great start! It's not often that I find a story featuring Tahl as a major character on these boards. I can't wait to read more!

Could you please put me on the PM list? [face_batting]
  4. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What a heartbreaking beginning

:_| :_| :_|

Though I can understand Tahl's frustration and fear.

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  5. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Gon_Skywalker: Thank you! I hope so. Yes, I do have a PM list.

C1-J2: Thanks! I was searching for more Qui-Gon/Tahl full length stories on here and couldn't find many. I was shocked - and since I'm a die hard romantic, I decided to write one myself - one that will actually span through the Clone Wars. This is actually the first of a very AU Trilogy.

KELIA: Thanks - it was supposed to be. I feel for Tahl - this is mainly about her and her struggles with the Force and her vision. A love story about acceptance, mostly. Thank you again, Kelia!

- next post coming up soon!

- Serena
  6. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I can already tell that I'm going to love this! Please add me to your PM list!

=D=
  7. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Jedi-Gon Jedi Master

star 1
    Yes! A Qui/Tahl fic! Eureka! This first post is setting itself up for a great fic! Don't stop writing this, and keep posting!
  9. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedi-Gon: Thank you!! I'll try to update very soon.

- Serena
  10. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    In This Storm: Chapter Two

It had been three days since Tahl had become a librarian, and despite the fact that she could really not show anyone where anything in the Archives was, she was able to update files with the help of a translator droid who corrected her mistakes. She had been knowledgeable about the galaxy before, but she quickly learned that she could always know more, and being a librarian would help her become one of the most informed Jedi in the Order.

Not that it matters being knowledgeable,
    she thought bitterly as she stacked another set of files in the Archives. Who cares about librarians when there are warriors to be found?

?Excuse me,? a calm female voice said. ?I?m looking for some information on Bastilla Shan. I attempted to search the database but didn?t find what I was looking for.?

?What exactly are you looking for?? Tahl asked, turning her head towards the voice.

There was a pause. ?Uh, well, it?s a little more? in depth,? the young woman said, sounding embarrassed. ?One of the padawans wished to know if she liked juri fruit or not.?

Tahl raised her eyebrows. ?That is in depth,? she said, slightly amused. ?Well,? she rose to her feet, ?I?m not sure about juri fruit, but I remember reading an old headline about Shan ? she didn?t like most fruit. I think it?s safe to say that included juri fruit.?

?How do you know that?? The woman exclaimed in surprise.

Tahl shrugged nonchalantly. ?I know many things ? most of them meaningless,? she added in a self-derogatory way. She touched the file wall next to her as she began to slowly walk.

?Oh!? The woman said. ?Here, let me help you.? Tahl felt a hand reach out and jerked back.

?No!? She shouted. I don?t need your help!

The woman was silent for a moment. ?I? I apologize. I shouldn?t have assumed.?

Tahl sighed. It wasn?t her fault. She sounds like a nice person. ?No, I?m sorry. It?s not your fault ? it?s mine. I seem to have acquired a short temper ever since my? accident.? She leaned against the wall and gave the woman a small, sad smile. ?It?s taking some time to get used to this. I hope you understand.?

?Of course,? the woman said kindly. ?I can?t even imagine?? she inhaled sharply. ?May I ask how it happened??

Tahl cringed.

?Again, I?m sorry,? the woman sighed. ?I am being incredibly rude to you, Knight??

?Tahl,? Tahl said, holding out a hand. ?I?m Tahl.?

A warm hand took her own and shook it gently. ?Adi,? the woman said. ?Adi Gallia. I hope you?ll forgive me. I shouldn?t have pried.?

?No, it?s all right. I just prefer not to talk about it yet,? Tahl said glumly. ?It was not a? pleasant experience.?

The lightsaber flashed crimson in the dark ? Tahl ducked to avoid the glowing blade ?

She was too late ? the burning saber swiped across her eyes, singeing them beyond repair. Tahl felt the excruciating pain as her skin burned ?

She screamed.

?Tahl??

Tahl shuddered and tried to push the horrifying memories back into her deeper mind. ?My mind wandered for a moment. Sorry.?

?Don?t be. Are you sure you don?t want help?? Adi asked gently. ?I don?t want to be patronizing, I hope you understand. I only want to be of assistance.?

Tahl shook her head. ?The Force, for whatever reason, has deemed it necessary for me to walk alone without vision,? she said darkly. ?I?ve accepted it ? and now, I guess, I should learn to focus my attentions on my other senses. Touch? sound.? She sighed again. ?But just this once, I suppose, you can help me.?

?Where do you want to go?? Adi asked, sounding happy that Tahl had given in.

Tahl motioned across the room. ?To the planetary section, please, aisle Five. I have to update some reports. Come on, Jayt.? She felt to her side for her assistance droid, J-8. ?This is Jay-Eight ? but I call him Jayt for short. He helps me around here.?

?So you do have someone helping you,? Adi said as Tahl took her arm.

?Only a little,? Tahl said wearily. ?But only droids. I really don?t like asking for help. I
  11. Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Thanks for the PM :D.

Another great post! I'm glad that Tahl has found a friend in Adi...and I can't wait for her to meet Qui-Gon!!! [face_love]
  12. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If you ever need a friend, or someone to talk to? I?ll be here. Know that.?

I'm so happy to see Adi being so supportive and I hope Tahl will come to realize she's not being pitied.

I'm glad to see she's settling into her new role in the meantime.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  13. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Lovely post! :)

?All right.? Adi turned to go. ?Tahl?? she hesitated. ?If you ever need a friend, or someone to talk to? I?ll be here. Know that.?

Tahl nodded uncertainly. ?Very well.? She waited until she heard Adi?s footsteps fade away before resting a hand on Jayt and starting down the aisle. She sighed. This will be my life for the rest of my days? Adi, you do not understand. I have no one. Nothing.

Force help me.

=D=

Can't wait for the next post. ;)
  14. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Gon_Skywalker: No problem! Don't worry, their meeting is coming up very soon! Thanks for reading.

KELIA: Maybe she will - but right now I think she might want to pity herself. Can't really blame her, though. Glad you like it!

VaderLVR64: Thanks!

Next post up soon!

- Serena
  15. all_othr_nams_tkn Jedi Knight

star 1
    can you add me to the pm list please?
  16. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Certainly! Sorry for the delay, everyone!

17. JediLuminaraUnduli Jedi Master

star 2
    Awww.. poor Tahl (gives her a hug).

I hope Qui-Gon can help her.

Oooohhhh oooh add me to the PM list too!! Please?
  18. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Certainly! Thanks for reading!

- Serena
  19. JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Chapter Three

The next few weeks passed quietly for Tahl. At the end of her third week as an archivist, she was slowly beginning to realize that this was her life. She would never go back to being a warrior ? she was stuck here. But despite the fact that the knowledge of never fighting again struck despair into her heart, she knew that there was nothing else she could do. She?d been to every doctor, tried every meditation healing technique, but they had all failed.

Just like I have, she thought one morning as she placed files into their proper places on a shelf. I?ve failed as a Jedi. Watch, I?ll fail as a librarian, too. She snorted. The Head Archivist, Jocasta Nu, had made her job somewhat difficult. The old lady seemed to have it out for her for some odd reason. She seemed to want Tahl to fail, but Tahl had no idea why. Maybe she doesn?t like handicapped people, Tahl thought. Too bad for her.

?Tahl?? Jocasta?s haughty tone spoke suddenly.

Speak of the rancor.
    Tahl wondered if the old woman wanted to startle her on purpose, but unfortunately for Jocasta, she had heard the old woman?s footsteps long before she had spoken. From her time in the archives so far, she had been able to detect the smallest of sounds, as it was usually quiet. Even soft boots would not escape her hearing.

?Yes, Master Nu?? she said calmly, though inwardly irritated. She inserted another file into the shelf, not bothering to turn her head to face the old lady.

Jocasta huffed. ?It?s a sign of disrespect to not face your elders, young lady,? she snapped. ?And I won?t have you thinking that you?ll get special treatment just because you?re blind. I like to see the faces of the people I talk to.?

Tahl didn?t turn. ?I?d rather not,? she said smoothly.

?You dare to disrespect a Master?? Jocasta gasped.

?I dare to disrespect no one,? Tahl replied simply as she slipped a file into its place. ?But as I?m blind, it shouldn?t matter whether or not you can see me, as I can?t see you. So it?s all rather pointless, really.?

?I will be speaking to Master Yoda about this,? Jocasta said coldly.

?And I will be speaking to him about your tormenting me on a daily basis,? Tahl parried.

?Tormenting!? Jocasta huffed.

Tahl?s lips turned slightly upwards. Got you. ?If there?s nothing else, Master Nu, I have work to do. As you can see, I have another stack of files waiting to be archived.? She motioned to her side, where a pile of data files was stacked neatly on the floor beside Tahl?s chair.

?I wanted you to know that you placed the files for the Coruscanti history in the wrong section,? Jocasta snapped.

?No, I merely reorganized them in a more orderly? order. You had them archived according to government history ? I archived them in general history.?

?You did not alert me to these changes!?

?I did. I had Jayt tell you.?

Jocasta sniffed. ?I do not like to receive messages from droids. I prefer to have a human tell me.?

Well, aren?t we high and mighty?
    ?Jedi are supposed to have compassion for all life,? Tahl said. ?Including droids.?

?They?re machines.?

?Careful,? Tahl said, growing more annoyed by the moment, ?Jayt may be a droid, but he is my droid.?

?It doesn?t matter,? Jocasta sneered. ?But you did not have authorization to make those changes to the archives.?

Tahl paused. ?You never would have authorized it,? she said. ?So I had no choice. And I?ve had more than one person, Master Windu included, say that he prefers the new version better. It?s much easier to teach the younglings and to find historical facts.?

Jocasta was silent.

?If that?s all?? Tahl continued with her archiving.

?Don?t do it again.? Jocasta stalked away.

Tahl paused once more but didn?t reply. After the old lady?s footsteps could no longer be heard, she smiled to herself and placed the last file on the shelf. Tahl: One. Jocasta: Zero. Maybe I?ve found a new battle, she thought with dry humor. Rising gracefully to her feet, she turned to s
  20. JediLuminaraUnduli Jedi Master

star 2
    Good ole? Qui Gon.. Bad Jo! Baaaad!!! Good update!!!!!=D=
  21. Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Tahl groaned and sank her head into the man?s chest. The second she realized what she was doing, she yanked her head back up, blushing.

Aw! [face_love]

Tahl paused. ?You never would have authorized it,? she said. ?So I had no choice. And I?ve had more than one person, Master Windu included, say that he prefers the new version better. It?s much easier to teach the younglings and to find historical facts.?

Ha! Serves Jocasta right.

You've got me absolutely hooked onto this story. Keep writing! :D
  22. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    ?They?re just your quarters,? he laughed. ?And is my neck very interesting? You?ve been staring at it this entire time. With your beautiful eyes, by the way. I?ve never seen golden and green striped eyes quite like yours.? He didn?t mention why they were so cloudy, however.

Tahl snorted in disbelief. ?By the Force, I can?t believe I?m saying this,? she said dryly, ?but you are even more blind than I am!?

?I beg your pardon?? he said, puzzled and slightly offended.

?Don?t you understand, you foolish man?? Tahl snapped. ?I can?t see your face. I?m blind!?

Now talk about feeling awkward. [face_blush] Loved the update. =D=
  23. Jedi-Gon Jedi Master

star 1
    As usual, Qui-Gon makes a one-of-a-kind entrance. Though I must say, he hasn't exactly gotten off to a good start with dear Tahl, now has he? Tsk tsk, Qui-Gon, for disobeying a lady's wishes and destroying her dignity. [face_shame_on_you] You're treading on thin ice now, my friend.

That was lovely! I was giggling a bit through Qui-Gon's introduction, and enjoyed Tahl's verbal joust with Nu. Though I've always considered Jocasta as the motherly/loving type, it's nice to see this take on her. Now that I've read it, I think it fits her rather well. Wonderful job!

Keep up the good work, and update soon!

EDIT: Oh, and add me too the PM list, please! :D
  24. Quietman77 Force Ghost

star 1
    JediXManSerenaKenobi:

Could you please put me on the PM list. I don't know much about Tahl - the canon version, that is - but your story really grabbed my attention, and I'd like to follow it.

Respectfully,
    Q77
  25. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yay Qui-Gon to the rescue!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I hope he'll be able to get Tahl to release her anger. It's beyond time.

Poor Jocasta. Doesn't anybody like her? :p

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.