"Forbidden Love" Trailer Discussion - Reactions

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by MasterYodaSkywalker, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  2. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh dear.

Then may I apologize for asking: Can someone PM me a link so as I can save the large trailer to my Harddrive? ;)

Sorry, sorry, I'll go now. :D
  3. darthmahon Jedi Master

star 2
    That really was quite impressive, I love it. Thankfully Hayden has proved he was the right choice, I had doubts after seeing the Mystery trailer whether he was the right choice or not, but he certainly proved his worth in this trailer.

The visuals looked stunning, especially the waterfall scene, I doubt they are real waterfalls but they sure look it.

I just watched the first TPM trailer, the teaser one. To be honest it is nothing compared to the AOTC one, TPM teaser doesn't really impress me much, great visuals but nothing else...AOTC teaser delivers it all so I think we could be in for a good treat.

It's going to be a long wait till May :(
  4. jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm thrilled that most folks here are impressed. Some people will just never be satisfied and will just be the tough crowd.

When I saw the trailer to Planet of the Apes, I was absolutely stunned. But for AotC, I'm astonished!!! It seems to be everything I'd ask for from a SW film or any film.

I hope it turns out great; TPM did, so I'm sure this one will too.

:D
  5. MasterYodaSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    Now this is the trailer that really is getting me excited about the movie... so awesome. Especially the second part and all those uses of the lightsaber. Kinda dissapointed that they re-used some footage from previous trailers, but, hey... I'm satisfied with it.

-MasterYodaSkywalker
  6. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok, my thoughts:

Great acting on the part of Hayden. I got chills as Padme tried to calm him down, and he said 'I should be. Someday I'll be the most powerful Jedi ever.' Brilliant.

The love story is coming together well, I liked how it's shot.

Still not sure what I think of Forbidden Love, but maybe that's one of the mistakes that the Jedi made that leads to their downfall. Think of Palpatine saying to the people, 'Look at the Jedi. They don't even allow their members to love!' He'd get through to the people that they're bad very well.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that Dokuu's(sp?) saber isn't strange at all? I did like that shot though.

Good to see the the things I was spoiled about being given away in the teaser.

P.S. Pozzi, check your PM's, there might be something good in there.
  7. ami-padme Jedi Master

star 4
    Good to see the the things I was spoiled about being given away in the teaser.

ITA. I was accidentally spoiled here awhile back...and it turns out it's not a big deal after all. Quite a relief. :)
  8. LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty much speechless. Beautiful acting by Natalie and Hayden. His voice kind of reminds me of Leonardo DiCaprio's. Eerie. :) The dialoge selected really got my head spinning. Just...amazing.
  9. p5mmr9 Jedi Knight

star 1
    EagleIFilms...check your PM...
  10. JediPhilB Jedi Padawan

It seems as if I'm being labeled as a "Star Wars basher." I'm just stating my opinion of the trailer. I wasn't as impressed by the trailer as I was by the others. It's true that the dialogue in this movie may be on the same level as the OT, yet we grew up with OT so we don't notice the dialogue. Now we notice it more and scrutize it more.

However, I still love Star Wars and I will still watch AOTC for it's beautiful visuals and fun adventure and excitement. I don't think the character interaction and development of Anakin/Padme/Obi-wan will equal the OT of Luke/Leia/Han. That for me is what made the original trilogy so great. Not only the adventure and the visuals, but the character interaction and development. The second time around the adventure and visuals are there (and are better than ever) but the character interaction isn't as strong.

JediPhilB
    jediphilb@yahoo.com
    180 days left until Episode II

11. Sithsayer Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK TF.n just posted a small recap of the trailer. They mentioned Anakin yelling about Obi-Wan in the Homestead and said that Luke does it there in ANH. Am i stupid or did i just read it wrong, but i do not remember Luke talking bad about Obi-Wan there. Someone please refresh my memory.

Nevermind i went back and read it and i did read it wrong.

P.S.-This trailer is boss
  12. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I find it haunting that in the same place where Luke probably wonders time and again about his parentage, both his parents were for a short time.

Also, notice how technologically primitive the homestead appears, compared to Coruscant.
  13. Patrick Russell Jedi Master

star 4
    Not bad.

As some have already mentioned here, context is everything. Yes, some of the dialogue seems rather wooden and stodgy (which isn't as bad if there are spaceships and laser bolts zipping about the place, but can often be death to a movie in which large portions are specifically dedicated to character dialogue) but it could well be that in context with the rest of the scenes from which these bits of dialogue are taken, it may work just fine.

So far, what I'm hanging my hat on as far as Hayden's delivery goes is that Anakin is expending a great deal of energy holding back his feelings... his love for Padme, his frustration with Obi Wan, his fear of losing his mother... all in the name of being a good, proper Jedi. What will make Hayden's stiff delivery (which seems particularly stiff in the earlier scenes) work and work well is if he loses the stiffness once he lets his feelings out. By the end of the movie what we SHOULD see is a markedly more fluid performance from Hayden after he's thrown caution to the wind (which he seems to do from what we've seen in the trailers).

One little detail that I enjoyed was the fact that Hayden pronounces Kenobi's name "Obi WAN" (as Vader did) rather than "OBI Wan" (as Luke and most other characters seem to). Nice.
  14. Kid_Icarus Jedi Padawan

I think that the more I watch the trailer the better it gets. I haven't looked for any spoilers about this film, much as I did for TPM. I think Lucas is doing a great job with the shots he has released for the film. In some cases you have a clear sense of what is going on in a scene, yet in others your imagination can run wild...that's what I enjoy most about all the films, the ever expanding possibilites for what can/will happen.

Another thing that I liked about this trailer is that Hayden appears to do a good job in the limited pieces we have been privy to. Already now I prefer 100% to Jake Lloyd as the youngster. That kid didn't act all that well and it kind of upset me, at least Hayden has been in other movies and seems to gel exceptionally well with Natalie.
  15. Duckman Jedi Master

star 4
    The trailer was so bootiful it made me cry.
    It's a shame AOTC will flop tho, as the illegal closing of my poll prooves.
    :p
  16. icqfreak Force Ghost

star 4
    First off, great trailer. While the mystery trailer had more and better action shots (mostly because many of the action shots in fobidden love were from the previous 2 trailers) this trailer gave us more depth into the story. The dialogue when Anakin is losing it is very powerful. I was surprised by how much footgage they used from the previous two trailers, especially the breathing trailer, considering the offical site said that each trailer was suppossed to have new footage, but it was nice to have sound with some of the scenes from breathing. It really looks like obi-wan has his hands full with jango in this movie, he's being chased by him in the asteroid field, fighting in the rain, and now in this trailer there's a shot of them fighting indoors with a clear sky in the background, so that means they confront each other at least 3 times in the movie. It will be interesting to see how obi-wan finally defeats jango(if he ever does). Also, if you look in the background when anakin and padme are in the carriage thing on tatooine, you can see watto talking to a pit droid.

Edit: My bad, that scene where I thought obi-wan and jango were fighting indoors is really obi-wan coming from indoors into the rain. so there's 2 fights for sure, not 3.
  17. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now that I've actually gotten some sleep, I like the trailer much better. :) I still like Mystery better, though.

Did anybody else get reminded of Luke when Anakin had his little temper tantrum? Except that Luke didn't cry...that was really weird, seeing Darth Vader cry.
  18. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Can't help but wonder if the angst will change the feel from a Star Wars film.
  19. GeddyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan

I have to say that though there are some uneven spots in Hayden's performance, I think once we see everything in context, it'll sit much better. For example, maybe something really traumatic happens before his "tantrum," so it's logical that he would show that kind of vulnerable, childlike anger. Remember, he's not evil yet. He's just experiencing feelings of desire, jealousy, frustration, anger, fear -- just the sorts of things that can lead to the Dark Side.

I think that the teenage Anakin is a transitional character, so it makes sense that we'd see both flashes of innocence and flashes of darkness, as Hayden himself commented in one of the Making of Episode II videos.

There's still a part of him that IS the 9-year-old from Episode I, but there's a more mature side to him. I'm sure that once we see the whole movie, we'll see a more well rounded Anakin.

As for everything else, it all looks amazing. I can't wait to see all of Ewan's performance as Obi-Wan. We need more Obi-Wan, more Mace, more Yoda, more Jango Fett, more clones, more everything!

And how about Jar Jar in those senatorial robes? My money's on a subdued performance from Ahmed Best.

20. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've just seen the trailer, and although I'm not a big fan for romantic plot-lines, I think the love interest between Anakin and Padme does have the potential to be rather touching, especially when we all know where it's going to lead too. Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman seem to be a lot more comfortable with their dialogue, and Hayden Christensen, although maybe his delivery is a bit off at times, certainly can act angry in a very frightening way. From what I've seen, I think Attack of the Clones could very well be an equal to Return of the Jedi, or even Empire Strikes Back. I just hope I won't be eating my words when May 2002 comes along!

By the way, if anyone knows a way I can download it onto my hard-drive, please PM me.
  21. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    I just about ........ in me shorts!

This is definetely a different movie, as it seems in the teasers, than TPM. Its different than any other SW movie it seems...but damn! I cannot wait to see this!

*Gets in line

I'm ready to see it in the theaters!
  22. Whimper Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I should maybe clarify some of my earlier statements. I don't really have any problems at all with the dialogue in this trailer, but more with Hayden's delivery of them. He either comes off as wooden, or he mumbles. That would be okay for a little kid, but remember that this is the man who is going to be Darth Vader.

Did Darth Vader ever mumble a line? One of his defining characteristics was his confidence, and the clarity of his speech. Compare:

"I'd [mumble mumble] to [mumble] a senator..."

"Don't act so surprised, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time"
  23. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I would mumble a lot too if I was with a person I had romantic feelings for. You know how tongues get all tied up in circumstances like that. ;)

24. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Does anyone feel that the trailer is trying to bring in the teenage girls the first half-of this trailer?
  25. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Also, that can be a contrast between Skywalker and Vader (clear speech as opposed to quiet speaking).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.