main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Forbidden Love" Trailer Discussion - Reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by MasterYodaSkywalker, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    "I mean can you really imagine Vader flirting with a girl in that flat monotone voice. He'd be about as seductive as a greasy sleaze bag in an open neck purple silk shirt with thick gold chains clanging against an overtly hairy chest."

LOL!!!! Okay, after waking up way fargin' early on a Saturday to a rather sh**y phone call, this is exactly the sort of chuckle I needed! Thanks. ;)

And you're right. I keep thinking about Anthony Hopkins in "Nixon" and how jittery and stiff he was any time he had to show any emotion to his wife. I don't think it's out of line for Anakin to be rather stiff when he talks to Padme, because let's face it... he's maybe a year or two away from becoming Darth Vader. He's emotionally stunted from spending his teen years burying his emotions for the sake of the Jedi Order, and at least at the outset of the movie he's struggling to keep those emotions locked down.

What I hope is that after he's let loose, expressed his feelings to Padme, hauled off on a couple baddies with his saber, etc., he begins to express himself a little more fluidly because he won't be holding back. Vader may have that flat, monotone voice, but much of that is due to the electronic processing of his mask.Watch his initial scenes in ANH... he has no problem expressing himself in an honest, forthright manner there, I tell ya! ;^)

The balcony/Executor similarity... GREAT catch! Whoever pointed out that it reminds them of the cover photos for "Beatles '62-'66" and "Beatles '67-'70" is spot-on! I wore those albums out when I was a kid, and yes... VERY similar feel there.

Now, all that said, I think that we're perhaps doing a bit too much extrapolation from two minutes of footage. I know what I think of the stuff in the trailer, but I also know that it's highly unlikely that we've seen nearly enough to make any kind of judgement calls as to how good or lousy Hayden's performance and the script itself may be. Remember... these romance scenes have to be damned good by more than just Star Wars standards in order for the film to not get bogged down. It seems that much of what we see between Anakin and Padme might as well be two actors on a bare theatre stage, since so much of their dialogue apparently takes place in a very Earth-like setting. Actually, this is where I almost wish somebody like Kershner with a bit of theatre experience were directing... "Faster, and more intense" isn't gonna cut it on scenes like this. ;)

BUT... again, it's premature to assume anything about this. (Six months... SIX MONTHS??? What, are they KIDDING US??? We can't hold out SIX MONTHS!!!) ;)

2. Ste Threepio

Ste Threepio Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 1999
    All I can say is if GL talks to women like that it's no wonder he's single.

And bandwidth my arse. The reason you have to buy QT Pro is for Apple to make money.

Now we can't even download any of the trailer versions to a mchine. Why?????? I'd have thought the whole point of a trailer was for as many people as possible to see it.

No. I'm afraid GL has finally disappeared up his own very tight arse.

An ex SW fan.

Warning: Do that again, and you're banned, permanently. I'm serious.

3. darthmahon

darthmahon Jedi Master star 2

Sep 8, 2000
    "I'd have thought the whole point of a trailer was for as many people as possible to see it."

You did get to see the trailer on the site, which means you did see it, as can millions of other people. Just because you can't save it to your hard drive doesn't mean you can't see it.

Also, the trailer is on the internet, which millions of people can access, only you can access your hard drive, so saving it onto your hard drive won't help more people see it to be honest so I don't know what your saying there.

Basically you just want it on your computer so you can watch it again and again, I don't blame you. $30 isn't a lot though, to be honest...

Or, if you really can't afford that or don't want to give in to Apple/Lucasfilm then you can just search for it on Morpheus, I'm sure it will be up on that.

4. Ste Threepio

Mar 21, 1999
    Of course I want it on my HD but that doesn't negate the sense of my argument.

If I could save it to my hard drive I might be able to give it to or show it to someone who wouldn't otherwise choose to or be able to see it. And the fewer people there are downloading it the more quickly and easily everyone gets to see it.

I could also increase the screen size so that I don't have to sit with my face two inches from the screen. And connecting to the internet costs money.

And I saw the trailer in a cinema.

EDIT: Profanity removed.

5. Qey Santim

Qey Santim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 1999
    Many good points have been made here. I scanned through several of the posts, but not all. I have only seen scant mention of the music used in the trailer...so I'll go there.

Princess Leia's theme? Perfect...and IMO one of Williams' most under-utilized themes in the OT.

Duel of the Fates - Obviously, THE theme for the Prequel Trilogy, it would be nice to hear some other action cue used in the trailer as well...or instead of. (just once).

One other thing, probably alread mentioned, but Dooku utilizing that one-arm fighting style is a nice homage to Luke VS Vader I in ESB.

O-Qey?

6. darthmahon

Sep 8, 2000
    I don't that's George's intentions at all, the majority of the people on here either put up with it or do something about it. You on the other hand just want to moan and complain like a little baby.

Try morpheus though, as I mentioned before.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Does anyone really dig Anakin's first line? I mean, I dunno, there's just something there that get's me.

"You've grown too- grown more beautiful, I mean."

Uh, does anyone else like that line as much as I do, or am I crazy? :D

8. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    After sneaking in to Harry Potter to see the trailer, I then went to see My Life As A House. What a Star Wars Day! I think Hayden will be fantastic as Anakin!

Like so many of you, I was blown away by this trailer! My stomach gets knotted up every time I think about it. There is so much here in 2.5 minutes. The layers are incredible! I long for the full 2 hours! May can't come soon enough.

On a lighter note, am I the first to mention the one thing that comfirms this as an authentic Star Wars movie? Did no one else notice the BLUE MILK in the garage?

Regards,
    M.

9. Ste Threepio

Mar 21, 1999
    EDIT: Banned.

10. darthmahon

Sep 8, 2000
    Firstly what the hell is a sap?

Secondly, I didn't say you were not entitled to your opinion, it's just the way you are going about it.

Thirdly, I'm not a moron.

Fourthly(if there is such as thing), I don't care if George Lucas doesn't give one about me. I'm in it for the movies and not for knowing George Lucas cares about me.

11. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    Please don't feed the troll.

12. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Speaking of trolls, the one on Harry Potter was very cool.

You know what I didn't like about Harry Potter? The lack of a frickin' Episode II teaser!! My theater didn't show it. gr.

13. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I believe our troll has been fixed. :D

And hopefully I'll see the FL trailer on the 1st December when I go watch HP. :)

Can't wait.

14. -Noob-Saibot-

-Noob-Saibot- Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2001
    When Ani is driving with his motor-speeder in Tattoine, the landsacape is like a paint. Very poor FX again...

-Rosebud-

15. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    But so cool...

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I don't think the FX are totally done yet. They'll prolly edit that scene 10 more times before it hits theaters. :D

17. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    I think it's cool. It preserves the continuity of the Tatooine landscape between the PT and the OT.

18. -Noob-Saibot-

Nov 17, 2001
    Ho ho ho...

Of course we hope that, but we have many bad FX, the sea makes me aware of a playstation2's demo.

-Rosebud-

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Dude, that big ol' ocean with the flying things (that look like Thrambas, a concept originally designed for Bespin) looks AWESOME! How can you say that looks bad?

20. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I think the landscape behind Anakin in the speeder shot is the same one they used for the podrace, only at sunset. I thought it looked pretty bad too, myself. Not to worry though, they have six months to fix it. :)

The other thing I noticed there, is that I only saw one sun. Maybe the other one is off screen? Am I going crazy? ;)

21. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    It's there but it's already setting so it's not as bright. Look right at the horizon, below and to the left of the bright one.

If u ask me, it's symbolism. One sun is about to set, the other is still in the sky.

Sorta like Padme & Anakin.

22. -Noob-Saibot-

Nov 17, 2001
    Sithman: yes, very awesome because the sea is stormy, but it's not very realist.

Darth-Mouth: continuity of the Tatooine landscape between the PT & OT???

This Tatooine is more like the ROCKY MOUNTAINS of Western-USA than the Tatooine of the OT.

-Rosebud-

23. darthmahon

Sep 8, 2000
    I think that shot is beatiful, definately one of my favourite shots. The only problem with the background is the lack of details. Look at the very first frame of that shot, and look at the right hand side, there is nothing there except two large rocks, it doesn't look right.

They have ages to work on this though, and if it doesn't get changed I'll still be ok with it. I don't really need them to change it, but it would be nice. [face_smile]

24. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    No, what I'm saying is that the suns and sky looked like a painting during the OT they should during the PT. And I think they do.

As for the landscape, not all the shots in the trailer that you THINK are of Tatooine may be of Tatooine.

The OT Tatooine was rocky in parts also, though. Like where Luke gets attacked by the Sand People.

25. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    Some effects look real, some don't. That's just the nature of special effects. Just because every single effect isn't perfect isn't going to ruin the film for me. (It hasn't stopped me from enjoying the original trilogy, either!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.