main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Forbidden Planet - The Remake - By Babylon 5 Creator

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    YES!

J. Michael Straczynski (creator of the Babylon 5 saga) is writing the screenplay for a remake of Forbidden Planet. For the young'uns out there FP is a CLASSIC sci-fi gem. This film went against the grain back in the 1950s. Most sci-fi back then was chock full of flying saucers invading the Earth via 'bottom-of-the-barrel' special effects. Not to mention over emphasis on nuclear radiation and its possible effects on nature. Oh and let's not forget the over emphasis on sock-hopping teens. Not so with the epic scale FP. The writers and producers of FP opted to go 'high brow' - also to invest a bit more on lavish SFX, sets, props. They made use of Shakespeare's The Tempest. The result was a landmark galaxy-spanning film. No other film out did FP till Stanley Kubrik's 2001. FP also strongly influenced the look and narrative style of a certain 1966 TV show that promised to boldly go where no man has gone before. Now JMS will do it again. Which is kinda funny. In his Babylon 5 saga JMS borrowed the idea of the Krell's underground tech. So it's a natural to pick JMS for the FP remake. I can not wait for the results. Granted we're all very jaded these days. Not to mention we suffer from remake lag these days. But with JMS it is safe to say we'll get some nifty twists in the narrative. It will likely not be just another CGI fest. Now if somebody would leak the preproduction art on the new Robby...

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Let's hope. The War of the Worlds remake was decent, even if it did have Tom Cruise in it. It was closer to the original novel than the Harryhausen movie but that was based on the radio version.

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Uh...I think George Pal directed War Of The Worlds from the 50s.

4. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Yes, well so much for sounding intelligent. I was referring to the special effects artist but I was wrong on that count too, it was Emille Kuri.

5. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    More info-

Seems J. Michael Straczynski is writing a reboot of FP that will be retro in its production design. In other words the new FP will look very much like the classic film only more complex in execution. Which means Robby the Robot will likely be much as he was in the classic FP! The Krell artifacts and Moribus's ID will I suspect be given a more modern look however. By the way Joel Silver is producing the FP remake. Seems this reboot is on the fast-track. I'm thinking it will be released late 2009/early 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.