main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forbidden Trailer Music Scheme

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JediBeowulf, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Is it me, or was the music scheme for the FL trailer just perfect?!

I mean, using Leia's theme is a no-brainer, but seriously, not a single one of us was expecting it. Anyways, my favorite part is the climax where Padme and Anakin kiss.

2. Attack

Attack Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    I was actually expecting it. They also used it for the Choices video, so I'd thought they might use it again for this one that was selling the romance angle.

3. Dark-Vador

Dark-Vador Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    I totally agree with you JediBeowulf!!! The music suits it perfectly. I was execpting them to use that theme however.

I liked it as soon as the trailer started with Leia's theme... "goodness you've grown..." and when it went to strings "It's entoxicating..."

And I must also agree with you again JediBeowulf, that the climatic part of Leia's Theme when Anakin and Padme kiss... oh gosh... entrancing and emotional :D

4. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    The Music is fits and is excellent. The love theme is awesome and then the lead into the Duel of the Fates couldn't of been down better.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yup the musical choices for the Forbidden Love trailer were excellent. I didn't even notice the transition from Leia's theme to Duel of the Fates the first time I watched it. I think using Leia's theme helped this trailer feel more like classic Star Wars.

6. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Exactly...that's part of what allured me. Leia's theme reminded me of the OT, and prompted me to think that of AOTC in that vein. Outstanding!

7. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I agree completely. "Leia's Theme" was a perfect choice for the first part of the trailer, and while I think that "Duel of the Fates" has become a bit overused, it worked incredibly well with the scenes in the trailer's second half.

8. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

When I first saw the new Episode II "Forbidden Love" trailer, I was really impressed with the "love" theme playing in the background during the beginning scenes.

I thought it was a taste of the new Anakin/Padme love theme. But, everyone seems convinced that it's only "Leia's theme" from the original trilogy.

I'm a life-long Star Wars fan from my childhood in the 1970's. I don't ever remember hearing the theme during the Anakin/Padme scenes in the new trailer before. When have we ever heard this piece of music before, if it is (in fact) only "Leia's theme" ???

Help?

And, let me add that I realize that there was a "Leia's theme". I'm quite familiar with it. It was played alot when Han & Leia would kiss or be affectionate. It also played at the last scene in Episode V.

I understand that.

But, the music at the beginning of the new trailer is different.

I'm a musician, and have a discerning ear. Unless it's another part of the piece that I never noticed. I don't have any OT soundtracks.

I never heard the EXACT parts you hear in the new trailer in the old movies.

Again, Help?

9. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    The theme that plays at the end of ESB is called "Han Solo and the Princess"

"Leia's Theme" plays a lot during ANH, particularly when Luke stumbles across the recording.

10. Beth

Beth Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2001
    Yes, there are two different motifs - Leia's theme, and the Han and Leia love theme. Leia's theme was mostly in ANH and the love theme was in ESB and RotJ.

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Uh, it's definitely not the new Anakin/Padme theme, John Williams is still *writing* it. :)

12. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    BUY THE OT SPECIAL EDITION SOUNDTRACKS. Ugh. Don't assume it's "new" music if you've never listened to the sountracks before.

Case in point:

Right click and "save as"

I did a quick edit of two selections, "Princess Leia's Theme" from the ANH score and the "Duel of the Fates" selection from the end title in the TPM Ultimate Edition sountrack, and put them together in the same manner they're heard in the trailer.

And don't bother me if the quality is bad or the edit is not exact, I was going for speed in both editing and uploading.

13. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000

1stAD,

1) I appreciate your effort in compiling an example for me.

2) You don't have to be sarcastic when you say BUY THE OT SPECIAL EDITION SOUNDTRACKS. Ugh. Don't assume it's "new" music if you've never listened to the sountracks before.

No need to get nasty. I wasn't necessarily assuming it was new. I was asking those of you who may have heard/bought older soundtracks to confirm whether or not it was a different piece, Han & Leia's love theme, or Leia's theme.

Again, Thanks for the clarification. But, no need to get testy.

14. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    I don't think 1st AD was being sarcastic; just pointing you in the right direction. Maybe he was a little harsh, but he's just trying to help you out. I was also a little surprised that you thought everyone who posted before you was wrong. Anyways, that's my interpretation of 1stAD's comments.

By the way, those were good trailer edits, especially considering how fast you did it.

If anyone's interested in more Star Wars Trailer Music analysis including samples, go here:

Star Wars Trailer Music

-MoffJake (still surprised that a star wars fan and a muscisian with a good ear wouldn't have noticed it)

15. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000

I guess having a good ear doesn't help me out much if I've never hear the piece before (don't have the soundtrack).

You guys are missing something...

SO many people are convinced that it was Leia's theme that I thought this music must have been heard alot in the movies. And, not having the soundtrack, it wasn't familiar to me. I (incorrectly) assumed that everyone was confusing it with the Han & Leia love theme. All I was trying to do is confirm or deny that.

No matter how good your ear is, you wouldn't recognize "Leia's theme" without having heard it on the soundtrack. Because the beautiful section played in the new Episode II trailer is not heard that often (if at all in the same way) in any of the movies. My mistake is not owning the soundtrack.

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hey, dont' sweat it, I've had the sountracks for a good 2 years or so now (and listen to them religiously) and I sometimes still get the 2 themes confused. They're so similar!

17. Echo

Echo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    i find it funny- and not at all surprising- that this conversation cropped up.

those who claim that leia's theme was used alot in ANH are letting their memories fool them.

the theme was used, but no where near as much as john williams scored for the "concert" version that was released on the original soundtrack and appears in the trailer.

i always wished it had been used more, so it was really nice to see it with the FL trailer.

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Right. Almost 100% of all the Leia's Theme music in F.L. is not in ANH, if you don't own the soundtrack, it's easy to see why you might become confused. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.