main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force assisted lightsabre strikes

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Blue_Jedi33, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Just a theory but it seems that after Dooku taunts Anakin, he taps into the darkside and his sword strikes become very strong, they can be blocked, but the block drains Dooku's energy. The same thing seems to have happened to Vader against Luke right of the end of there fight too in ROTJ. Reading the book, Dooku feels the strikes getting stronger, he can handle the speed just not the power of them.

I guess it could be compared to a swordsman that is 3 times as strong as his opponent aiming for his sword on purpose, the energy used up to block the shot would be draining the energy of the weaker fighter.

If you look at other fights the strikes are quick and light, in Dooku's dual with Anakin his strikes seem to get really strong and fast and it overwelms Dooku in the end.

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i never saw anakin using the dark side vs dooku until he cut his head,sorry.

because he frowned it doesnt mean he used the dark side

same for mace,the guy frownes vs palps and everybody is whining "but he used the dark side !!" when in fact the guy was only focused.

sorry to sound harsh but im sick of the theory.

3. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

Well whatever you might think, Obi Wan did have a touching of the darkside in TPM.

I don't think Mace did.

I do like the overall theory though. I think the Jedi use the force to manipulate a fight in many ways, including adding power to their saber strikes.

IMO, Anakin one because he was just better. He also took out a Sith Lord like one should, until he chopped his head off.

4. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    where did i mention kenobi in my post ?? i come from a very exausting kenobi discussion in the "why does obi wan has such a hard time dueling dooku" thread ans the last thing i wanna hear is his name.

i only said that anakin and mace didnt use the dark side.

5. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Yes I noticed this too. Anakin fell into Dooku's play after the Count taunted him. Anakin's ego took over for a bit and his power increased a bit. This concept of 'force energy' would account for Yoda fleeing the scene once he falls far below Sidious' perch. In the duel Yoda's last dodge of a Senate pod is kind of a desperate grab at something stable, whereas before he was jumping at will. It becomes obvious that Jedi arts are purely force driven even sabre arts because Yoda is quite obviously physically limited. This is demonstrated by his slow pace and use of a cane when not in combat. So by this example we can see that Yoda can't sustain himself endlessly to walk normally through the force. He must rest, or atleast chooses to. Qui Gon's moment of meditation when in conflict with Darth Maul also shows this sense of 'puting on your force' or 'puting away your force' when the circumstances warrant it.

6. ChosenOne89

ChosenOne89 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2005
    I think that all the young jedi in the SW saga tap into the darkside at one point in their fighting. Obi Wan gets angry after Maul kills Qui Gonn and then he goes after him with a great amount of fury and anger. Anakin in this fight versus Dooku is hella pissed and uses this anger as fuel to defeat Dooku. Luke in Episode 6 when he hears Vader talking about Leia turning to the darkside, Luke attacks rather than defends and then he goes crazy on Vader and beats him down. Throughout the saga young arrogant Jedi tap into their anger and use it when fighting.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Anakin wouldn`t have won the duel if he hadn`t used the dark side,in fact he wouldn`t have a Jedi career.

8. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    No, Anakin only used the Dark Side when he took an allegiance to Sidious. Everything before that point was done for the love of Padme.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Everyone uses the Force to fight with Lightsabers. It's what allows the speed and reflexive movements that the Jedi are known for. How they can block, counter, parry, thrust and so on. The Force also enhances their speed and allows them to predict when and where the next blow will come.

10. jedi_drifter

jedi_drifter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2005
    I agree that Anakin was using the dark side of the force against Dooku. To me, this entire scene seemed to mirror Luke/Vader in ROTJ. When Anakin starts to use the dark side out of anger against Dooku, his attack was very similar to when Luke does the same thing against Vader in ROTJ- overhead hammer-like blows. Then you have Palpatine in his chair saying, "good.. good". A huge space battle is going on outside the windows. They key difference is that when Palpatine tells Anakin to kill Dooku (which would open up the apprentice office for Anakin), Anakin does and as such makes his pivotal turn toward the dark side which would culminate later into becoming the dark lord's apprentice. But, while Luke is in the same situation, he throws his lightsaber down and refuses to kill, thereby overcoming the lure.

Since Luke was definitely using the dark side of the force in his battle with Vader, I think Anakin was in his duel with Dooku.

11. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    Of course they use the force in lightsaber combat. They are force users and that is what they do.

The only time Anakin uses the darkside is when he decapitates Dooku after he had him beat.
    Some of you seem to believe that the darkside is something you can turn on and off.

Luke didn't use the darkside against Vader either. Nor did Obi Wan against Maul.

All these men were in a FIGHT. Since when does fighting with passion constitute for being "darkside"? Just because they have a mad look on their face doesn't mean they're using the darkside.

Fighting is not using the darkside it is fighting. You can't just turn the darkside switch on and then whoop everyone's a$$. Thats not the way it works.

"Once you travel down the dark path FOREVER will it dominate your destiny."

Killing defeated opponents, killing kids, killing tusken camps, killing unarmed sepratists, choking your wife are all darkside, not fighting someone who is trying to kill you. Thats defense. Which are what the Jedi are, defenders.

Basically, if you say Anakin, Luke, and Obi Wan were using the darkside in their respective duels, then you would have to say all jedi that have been in a duel have used the darkside at one point or another. And like I said, you can't just turn the darkside on and off.

12. jedi_drifter

jedi_drifter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2005
    Wait a second. If you can't turn the dark side off, and killing tusken camps is dark side, then how are you saying Anakin wasn't using the dark side in the Dooku duel? What, he turned it off after the tusken slaughter and then turned it back on when he killed Dooku?

Yeah, but Luke proved that was wrong. Vader turned away from the dark side when he killed Sidious in ROTJ thus proving that statement was wrong.

Luke and Anakin were both clearly using the dark side in the Vader/Dooku duel. Especially Luke. He wasn't defending, he was attacking Vader like a maniac. You can see it by the way he is crazy-eyed and raging. That's dark side.

13. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    The killing of tuskens was Anakin's first step down the dark path. He never recovered from that fully until RotJ. Anakin is kinda of a special case. He is the chosen one. The only person to fully embrace the dark side and come back to the light, the only one ever.

My point was, a persons actions are not darkside. Its the motivation behind the actions.

I never said Anakin wasn't using the darkside. He used it when he killed Dooku after he had him beat. Not when they were fighting.

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The orce assists lightsaber combat in general,not just the strikes.

In the book it says Anakin and Obi Wan are trying to lure Dooku,doesn't it?Like they purposely have a hard time dueling with him so he gets cocky and then Anakin pwns him cause he didn't expect it.So He wasn't using the darkside yet, notice how Dooku says he has anger and hatred but he doesn't use it.

I hope a strike that was strongly force assisted was the first one Sidious did against that Jedi,like he held the lightsaber there long enough so that she should've known to block it.Wtf.

15. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I agree to for Anakin especially, his first major swing at Dooku is so hard he follows through and nearly goes over with it!

And then after Dooku taunts him, that priceless look of anger and hate Anakin has as he raises his saber for a series of crushing blows, deffo tapping into the Dark Side for maximum over-powering attack and blocks!

16. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i disagree with you guys about anakin. i know luke was using the dark side vs vader for the look on his face adn for the way he snaps but i dont think anakin used the dark side until of course he killed dooku.

i have come to hate the theory of : frowning = dark side.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I also think that Anakin wasn't using the darkside in the Dooku. He just kicked up the intensity of his attacks and he had a look of intensed focus on his face. The only dark action for Anakin was to behead Dooku.

18. ChosenOne89

Oct 30, 2005
    FEAR IS THE PATH TO THE DARKSIDE. FEAR LEADS TO ANGER. ANGER LEADS TO HATE. HATE LEADS TO SUFFERING. I SENSE MUCH FEAR IN YOU.- Yoda Ep. 1

Anakin was feeding off of his anger for Dooku to fight him in not only Ep. 3 but also Ep. 2, only that Anakin was more powerful in Ep. 3. The same with Luke in ROTJ, he feeds off of his anger with Vader for saying he will try to turn Leia and then just attacks him vigorously. Using the darkside is to use anger and hate to fuel your actions, and that is what they did.

19. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    If you watch ROTJ Luke is not even trying to hit Vader's body in the final strikes he is going for power hits, he goes like a maniac on Vader lightsabre, tiring Vader out, then he takes off his hand when he senses Vader tiring from the blows.

Anakin has that same power at the end of the Dooku duel only he takes off both hands.

Compare that to the Obi Vs Maul, they were not power hits, but fast strikes looking for an opening.

20. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    By that logic, Anakin wasn't dark when he slaughtered younglings; he was doing it (in his mind) to save Padme, and thus was denfending. Even though he knew it was wrong, it was evil, he did it for her. Thus, his motive was pure, and he wasn't evil. I don't think so.

21. ChosenOne89

Oct 30, 2005
    Thank You The Flargg.

22. IMTHEGENERAL

IMTHEGENERAL Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    have come to hate the theory of : frowning = dark side.

Then Mace Windu really is a potential Sith Lord :)

23. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I don't think it is a matter of "Turning On" the dark side power and then turning it back off. It's a whole lifestyle and frame of mind. Anakin started down the dark path at the Tusken slaughter. He became VERY aggressive with Dooku after the taunting, showing us more of his journey down the path. The beheading of Dooku was more like running down the path. No Jedi will choose right EVERY single time. It's recognition and remorse for what has been done wrong. More importantly, it's LEARNING that it was wrong. Obi-Wan stared at the entrance to the path and it led him to a point hanging above a bottomless pit, defenseless against his foe. Luke stared at the entrance to the path and remembered the cave scenario. Anakin stared at the entrance and saw UNLIMITED POWER.

What did Obi Wan learn?

1. I played into this Sith Lord's game and now I am dangling helplessly because of it. Let me refocus and survive this confrontation.

Luke?

1. My god, all that Yoda taught me, all that Obi-wan taught me, and here I am lashing out in anger. This is what the Sith Lord wants! The fight wasn't the dangerous part. These Sith Lords really have tricks up their sleeves. Obi-wan will lose me EXACTELY like he lost my father.

1. Killing the sandpeople didn't bring his mother back. It was pointless.
    2. Approach Sith Lord's calmly, they may have tricks up their sleeves. Giving into anger plays into their game and you end up with no arm.
    3. Approach Sith Lord's calmly. You are now stronger than Dooku and have held your own. You need not ferociously assault him. Fight your fight and you will still win. Sith Lord's have tricks up their sleeves.
    4. This unarmed prisoner doesn't really look like he wants to hurt me anymore. We may all be able to get off this ship alive and end this conflict on peaceful terms.
    5. The man Mace attacking is a Sith Lord. He lost his weapon but is clearly not defenseless. Be wary of Sith Lords, they have been known to have tricks up their sleeves.
    6. The defenseless man just shot lightning out of his hands and screamed "Unlimited Power". I should approach Sith Lords with caution, they may have tricks up their sleeves.
    7. The Sith Lord that told you he has the power to save my wife is asking me to kill many people. He doesn't realy have the power, but he said we can probably figure it out. Gee, I don't know. Maybe I should approach Sith Lord's cautiously, they seem to have tricks up their sleeve.

Anakin does not learn from his experiences, or was focused on power at all times. In example 1 he demonstrates power over the sand people. In 2 he wants to demonstrate power over dooku. In 3 he wants to demonstrate power over Dooku again. In 4 he wants to demonstrate his power to singlehandedly save the galaxy, in 5 he wants to ensure he has the power to save his wife. In 6 he thinks this too. In 7 the wheels were in his head that Sidious might need him, but he doesn't need Sidious. He'll kill everyone, take all the power, glory and knowledge (Jedi Archives) for himself so that he may save Padme and the Galaxy. Either way, it's clear that he was going down the dark path for a long time. I think it is also clear that knowledge and admitting to yourself that you have done wrong can turn yourself away at the early stages, as was the case with Obi-Wan and Luke.

Carnage

24. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Actually, aren't all lightsaber strikes "Force assisted"? Look at ANH. When Luke s training with the remote blind at first he is clumsy not skilled at all. But when Obi-Wan instructs him to use the Force, he wields it like an experienced swordsman.

25. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Thank you Sinister! This is what I've been trying to explain in another thread. People want to separate saber skills and force powers, but they are intricately connected.

Thank you qui-gon-kim!

O.K. I'm glad we're straightening this mess out.
    I also agree that there's too much emphasis on "Oh, he used the darkside to win!" whenever there's a battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.