main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Force Friday" - Now Discussing 2017 - Possible Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , May 3, 2015.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    From TFN Main :

The next generation of Star Wars toys, collectibles, books, and apparel is in range.

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that Star Wars: The Force Awakens products will land in our galaxy on September 4, 2015, at 12:01 a.m. — "Force Friday" — with stores around the world opening their doors at midnight for a special celebration of all things Star Wars. It will be a day long remembered.

“Every lightsaber, every action figure, every LEGO set tells a story for generations of Star Wars fans, and this global event is a celebration of those stories. We’re excited to be part of the countdown to this enormous movie moment,” said Josh Silverman, executive vice president, global licensing, Disney Consumer Products.

Fans wanting to be the first to get their hands on Star Wars: The Force Awakens merchandise can set their hyperspace and social media coordinates now: They will be able to visit their local retailer starting at midnight on September 4, and are encouraged to document their experience using the hashtags #ForceFriday and #MidnightMadness. A wide-range of products — from toys and collectibles, to books and comics, ebooks and apps, to apparel and lifestyle accessories — will be available at mass retailers and Disney Store locations worldwide, as well as on DisneyStore.com.

Hit the link to see the rest of the story!

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So who or what do you want to see? Let us know here. In the interest of not spoiling others, let's try to keep speculation to this thread until more product information comes out.

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Based on The Avengers and so far Disney's stupidity in not putting Princess Leia stuff out there for girls, I'm guessing there won't be lines of toys or apparel aimed at girls.

4. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You never know. With the advent of companies like Her Universe, apparel for girls might be more available than it has been in the past.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I am hoping that since Rey appears to be the central character of the story that there will be merchandise for girls, but I'm not counting on it.

I know there will be a 6" figure of her and there will likely be other action figures - Hasbro has at least continued to make Leia's and the occasional Padme and other female figures, but those toys are still more aimed at boys.

Her Universe is awesome - but it's not something the general public knows about. Will there be shirts for girls that'll be readily available at places like Target and Walmart? I don't know.

Iger seems to have his head in the sand w/ how they want to market their different divisions. Anything "Disney Princess" related is specifically, ONLY for girls, Marvel/Star Wars are for boys. (Where are the shirts for boys "Someday I'll find MY Elsa"?) They're being incredibly stupid and short sighted if that's the direction that they stay in. They don't realize that times have changed - even since 1999 when "The Phantom Menace" came out. Everyone loves superhero movies and girls read, write, draw, and create comic books. Sci-fi programming is watched 60% male, 40% female - blatantly ignoring a 40% market is asinine.

I can't tell you how much money in the last few years that I've had to shell out for making custom figures of my favorite Star Wars characters because none of the companies will make Padme 12" or larger figures or Leia's wearing anything other than her white dress or slave costume.

Maybe they'll wise up, if they stupidly don't go after girls w/ this film, maybe there'll be a big enough outcry that they'll have to do it for "Rogue One."

Sorry to be Ms. Grumpy Pants. I just thought that back when they acquired LFL and Iger said "Star Wars is for everyone" that he actually might've had the foresight to see it as a unique brand that could be targeted equally to both sexes. So far he hasn't shown any sign of understanding that.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, any merchandising that is done has to have the input of the companies involved. If Hasbro (for example) sits down with Disney and says that based on past sales Leia and Padme have been less successful money-wise than Han and Luke, there won't be much impetus on Hasbro to keep saturating the market with those figures. Remember the RoTS 'pregnamt Padme'? I wonder just how many of those sold and how many became peg-warmers?

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Right because they were marketed to boys...what if instead they had done a line of Pregnant Padmes aimed entirely to girls? Boys would see no play value in a pregnant action figure - girls would find hours of play fun w/ Padme's elaborate costumes etc. Even a whole set of figures in her different gowns would've been something girls could get behind playing with.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    There was that Evolutions Padme figure 3-pack that had her in one of her gowns from TPM, her white AOTC outfit, and her pregnant ROTS "you'll die in childbirth" scene nightgown, with soft goods birthing scene white robe (two figures in one!), but that probably bombed because it was in the boy's toy aisle.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Anyway - I am looking forward to seeing what Sideshow, Hot Toys, and Gentle Giant have to offer for Ep 7 stuff.

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow, that's a full 3+ months before the movie hits. For the PT I seem to recall Midnight Madness being a month, month and a half out. I'm guessing that means no sneak preview figures, as they would likely have been announced already.

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Love love love the packaging. Bright red with Kylo Ren over the front :D

12. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes this will be a day long remembered! I like the packaging as well, although a lot like ROTS. I'm looking forward to getting in line just like old times and running inside TRU like a little brat on speed. Can't wait to see the 3.75" line and get the main characters. Do we know if midnight madness will include the Disney stores or TRU?

Juke Skywalker I hope we still get sneak preview figures as that is a big part in the overall experience of figure collecting. My fond memories of the sneak preview line is all from the PT. (don't think I mailed in for a Adm. Akbar or Nien Nunb??) For TPM it was the Mace Windu, for AOTC it was Zam Weesell and for ROTS it was Gen. Grevious, Tion Meedan and Wookie Warrior. Great times.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree, it was very cool to have a piece of the movie well in advance like that. Still time for an announcement, as it's right at four months before the street date of the actual line. But so far not even a rumor :(.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note if you are in NYC or will be on Sep 4 - the Times Square TRU is having a midnight bash. You can see a pic of their 'save the date' note here on Rebelscum!

15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes I've been filling out the form to win a trip to NY for the midnight bash. See midnightsweeps.com although I want to win so remember that if you do win. lol. We are less than three months away everyone!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  16. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I have a Toys R Us store that is walking distance from my house so I have my fingers crossed that they will be having an event :)

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Closest one to me is out near Heathrow Aiirport, and in an area I really wouldn't feel safe going to at midnight..

18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I work 3-11:45, so it's pretty much a no go for me. It sucks, but what can you do?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    News on Rebelscum from Walmart.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Cool. I have a Wal-Mart less than five minutes from my house. Curious to find out what the "exclusives" are. If I'm off I'm definitely going to hit it up at midnight for old time's sake. Should also be fun to watch the "I so don't even care about this." Wal-Mart employees watching in horror as a bunch of 40-somethings descend on their store.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yeah, I have a wal-Mart near me too! That'd be much nicer than driving a half hour!

Very pumped for the tie fighter they announced!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, that Tie Fighter is ridunkulous. It's like, "I must have you, but where would I put you? And you cost more than my monthly utility bills combined.".

23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    *double post*[face_dunno]Let's see if I can't salvage it.

Anyone heard any news on what other retailers might have planned re: MM and/or exclusives?

24. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I'm almost positive Toys R Us is gonna have MM and probably some exclusives. As far as the Tie, it may be expensive and it may be big, but it's still smaller and cheaper than the 1/6th scale hot toy they announced! :D

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Lol, yeah, I guess that's one way to look at it. These vehicles for the larger scale figures are going to be problematic. The size is prohibitive and the cost is off-putting. That said, I would like to see a Landspeeder and maybe an AT-ST.

I believe that Wal-Mart press release said something about online exclusives as well. To quote C-3PO "Here we go again.".