main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Force Ghost Question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darkspine10, Apr 23, 2015.

1. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015
    I think it's Anakin's skull, only that his helmet is still on and broken. I can't believe the things you can hint in the helmet is technical equipment, as we all saw the inside of the helmet in ROTS.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's hard to tell. I know Star Wars in 100 Scenes, a newcanon reference book, said Vader's body faded away leaving only the armor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I was referring to hauling it on the shuttle, flying to Endor and then burning it with him.

Luke can hear Obi-wan, he just cannot see him and that's due to Luke not being strong enough in the Force to see him as well as he does later on.

Look at the left side of the helmet below the eye socket. You can see the angle that's part of the helmet. It lines up to the right side. The human skull doesn't have that kind of angle to it. On the same side you can see the helmet's brow has melted in a manner different from the right side, but you can still see the edges of the helmet.

HevyDevy and Iron_lord like this.
  4. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015

On the other hand, in middle of the breathing part, you can see a hole, and probably, inside that hole, you can see a skull/head of some sort. Hard to see though, as the light is not the best in the scene,

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    If it is his skull, which I doubt, then why didn't Anakin's body disappear like Obi-Wan's, Yoda's and the Father's.

And no one has yet answered me why Yoda's clothes vanish with him, while noone else's do!

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's the rest of the voice box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obi-wan's clothes go as well. Only the brown robe remained.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is what I figured as well. The Force created Anakin's consciousness, and the Force retains it. He didn't need the training, since Anakin is himself is a product of the Force.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nah, as Lucas said, Obi-wan and Yoda were the ones who taught him. They were waiting for Anakin when he died and helped him to transition. That's been part of the story since the rough drafts for ROTJ.

9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Hmmm... So, you're Luke. You've struggled to bring your dad's body onto the shuttle while the DS collapses around you. You take off and fly down to Endor. You go and build a funeral pyre... cutting logs, carrying logs, doing a heck of a lot of back-breaking work. Then you go back to the shuttle and... Vader's suit is flat. The body has disappeared into the Force. "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

:)

10. Tito-Wan Kenobi

Tito-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2015
    A few comments.

On the clothes issue.

There is no clear rule here:

(1) Obi-Wan's robe remained, meaning that his other clothes disappear. Yet, when he manifests himself in ESB and ROTJ, he's wearing the robe he left behind in ANH.
    (2) Yoda left nothing behind and manifested as is.
    (3) Anakin obviously had no Jedi garb beneath the Vader suit, yet his manifestation does. This would seem to be his "Jedi" form, as testament to his "defeat" over Darth Vader.
    (4) Qui-Gon, well, as we have seen in this thread, he had no visual manifestation, so its irrelevant.

On the how issue. (When I was younger and saw TPM in 1999, I thought fire played a role, trying to connect Anakin and Qui-Gon. Apparently not, haha).

I see the following chain:

(1) Qui-Gon was the first to transcend death. His was an incomplete journey, but enough to retain a presence in the physical world and communicate, at first with Yoda then, apparently, with Obi-Wan ("How to commune with him I will teach you" -Yoda ROTS).
    (2) So, it would seem that Yoda's and Obi-Wan's transcendence was the result of Qui-Gon's teachings.
    (3) Then the issue remains: what about Anakin? We can assume there was no communing between Vader proper and Qui-Gon. Also, the series of events in ROTJ seem to signal a journey from death on the Death Star, his burning funeral, and then manifesting beside his old friends. I agree with previous posts about this being the sheer Will of the Force, which he brought back to balance; the Compelling nature of his redemption; his final defeat of the Dark Side. No better trio of Force Ghosts.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin's body does not disappear.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The cybernetics would still be there and there was quite a bit of them.

In the rough draft…Ben explains that…if "Vader becomes one with the dark side of the Force, he will lose all identity. If he turns to the good side, he will pass through the Netherworld" and in the revised rough draft, Yoda "will rescue him before he becomes one with the Force."

--Laurent Bouzereau, explanation from Star Wars The Annotated Screenplays page 300.

"This little scene where he burns his father's body, it wasn't originally in the script. But I decided it gave more closure in terms of Luke's relationship to his father, letting go of his father. Even though later on, as we get to the end of the movie, as he joins the Force, he was able to retain his original identity, it's because of Obi-Wan and Yoda, who learnt how to do that: how to join the Force at will and then retain your identity. But it was his 'identity as he was when he died as Anakin Skywalker.'"

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary.

Aboard the second Death Star at the Battle of Endor, Anakin Skywalker lay dying. He asked his son to remove his life-sustaining helmet, so that he could look upon his long lost son with his own eyes. Having saved his son's life, and reclaimed his soul from the dark side, Anakin died and became one with the Force. As he shed his corporeal form, he found the spectral forms of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda ready for his return. Through compassion and selflessness, Anakin discovered the secret knowledge of the Shaman of the Whills, a technique that allowed him to retain his identity in the netherworld of the Force.

Anakin's spectral form looked upon his two children -- the twins Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa -- during the celebration at Endor.

--The Official Site Databank on Anakin Skywalker.

Not onscreen, but official material state otherwise.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In what scene?:confused:

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was off screen, but we see the two Jedi Masters first when Luke spots them and then Anakin materializes, just after Obi-wan glances his way. We also know that in ROTS, Yoda tells Obi-wan that he has training for him on Tatooine. And in the final episodes of "The Clone Wars", as well as the screenplay, that Qui-gon taught Yoda and Obi-wan, which then leads them to teach Anakin.