main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Force Ghosts in VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RyanForder, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Which ones do you want to see?

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

33 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Yoda

48 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Anakin Skywalker

49 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. Qui-Gon Jinn

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Palpatine

14 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Other (Please state)

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. None

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Not bothered

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Maybe Shmi could come back and give Leia parenting tips.:D The ghosts could easily come back as their younger selves, if you're a ghost do you want to prance around in your 70's or 80's or wouldn't you go back to young and spry? "This is what a true Jedi looks like Luke, not a crusted 'ol man or frog"-could be said by any dead Jedi including Yoda and in 10 seconds young looking force ghosts are explained and we can move forward with the plot.

Obi, Yoda, and Anakin. Yoda and Obi to guide Luke. Anakin to tell Luke, and us, things that we and most likely the Jedi, didn't know about the prophecy and/or Sith.

Just for S's and Giggles-Sidious & Plagueis

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Is the title of this thread saying that a Force Ghost is in Episode VII? Because my brain won't allow me to read it as the plural form "Ghosts" without nearly having a stroke.

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No there's nothing within the fictional universe that prevents him from returning. However it would be an awful storytelling choice. It badly undermines the arc & redemption of Anakin Skywalker. The Saga is supposed to be one big story with episodes viewed in order. The first 6 play as the rise, fall & redemption of Anakin. We sit through 6 episodes, 12 hours of this harrowing journey where he goes through hell & back & then at the end of Ep 6 he finally comes back to the good side & destroys this evil guy who completely ruined his life. He turns the tables on him & saves his son. Awesome! Then we pop in ep 7 &....what, Palpatine is back?? Wreaking more havoc on the galaxy & Anakin's children that he sacrificed himself to save!??

Terrible amateurish storytelling choice IMO.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the sith can't come back.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Fixed it. :D

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

That's what Ki-Adi-Mundi thought too...
    [​IMG]

Dra--- and purplerain like this.
  7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

not from death they can't. not with 3 barrels on 'im he can't.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Palpatine may not come back as a ghost (TCW suggest as much at least) but he may have other tricks up his sleeve. Never say never...

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He could come back via the Tenebrous Way

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

how's that?

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
  12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Not to start a discussion on this subject, but the final arc involving Yoda in TCW seems to make that clear, although it raises the issue on how Anakin learned the ability?

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Personally, I've no issue whatsoever with Hayden appearing. I suppose that I wasn't thrilled with the change from Shaw to Christensen for the ending of ROTJ, but it never drove me bonkers, either, and now that it's been established, there's no reason to me that Anakin's spirit should not appear in the ST as it did then. I think Luke seeking counsel from his father is a rather nice idea, and regardless of Anakin appearing younger to the eye, he's still the spirit of the man who lived until the events aboard the DSII, with decades of experience to draw from.

And to anyone who prefers an "older" Anakin, don't forget that Anakin/Vader did not live a full life. Vader died in his forties, so even were an older actor chosen to appear as Anakin at the end, Luke in his early sixties is still going to be talking to a "younger" face.

If it truly is an issue for JJ, though, I do like the idea some here have proposed, of just using Hayden's voice.

To me, Obi-Wan is more of an issue, but not an insurmountable one. If Ewan were to appear as Ben's spirit, I'd prefer they attempt to age him up, but I'd be willing to accept him in his current appearance, should make-up prove unconvincing.

I would be interested In having a look at that head shot you refer to, Mr. Chiznuk. I don't recall seeing it before, but if you could provide a link, it may jog my memory.

And yeah, Yoda probably makes quite a lot of sense, too. Both story-wise and because the actor's appearance is of no issue.

Sidious, I'm conflicted about. I think it makes sense to try to include the Emperor's influence in the ST, but George Lucas has been pretty clear that the Sith don't know the secret. If he is to appear, though, I would like it should his spirit adopt a different look about him. Maybe something as simple as a red glow?

[​IMG]

If Luke dies, I absolutely want to see him return as a spirit. But then, I don't want to see Luke die in the first place. I'd much, much rather he step away from galactic affairs to a life of secluded meditation and contemplation of the will of the Force.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The head shot of Obi-Wan is in one of the web documentaries (sorry, I can't remember which one) on the ROTS DVD. It's so convincing that Ewan himself thought they had superimposed Alec's face onto his but Lucas says clearly that it's him. :)

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Awesome. I'll pop it in and check it out.

Thanks, mate!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

EHT likes this.
  18. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    It was on youtube. I'm not sure if it still there, but I didn''t even need a documentary to see how much Ewan look liked Alec. Heck even in TPM I thought there was a resemblance. AOTC not so much, but that mullet was pretty cool though.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought Ewan resembled Alec more than DVD ANH Jabba resembled ROTJ Jabba

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    or RotS Emperor resembled RotJ Emperor. Or PT Yoda resembled OT Yoda

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, he was a pretty genius cast. But I still hope he is absent from 7. He has played his part in the events and now deserves to rest.

We can have Ewan in the Obi-spinoff I really hope they are making.

T-R- likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's my understanding that once Anakin turned good, he was able to return as a Force Ghost. Plus it "helped" that he was also the "Chosen One."

From the films and TV, it's revealed that Qui-Gon teaches Yoda who teaches Obi-wan. No one teaches Anakin that we see, so how does he learn it or does it just happen because he's special? What's the official explanation?

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    One possible explanation, is that Palpatine taught it to him. "While its too late to save Padme, let me teach anyway how to exist after death." The problem with that is doctrinally, Sith believe there is no afterlife.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about the Force Ghost of Hamlet's father?

25. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    That was a long time after the events of the saga, in a galaxy far, far wary from it. By that point, the knowledge had spread to other galaxies, such as the Milky Way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.