main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Force Ghosts in VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RyanForder, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Which ones do you want to see?

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

33 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Yoda

48 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Anakin Skywalker

49 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. Qui-Gon Jinn

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Palpatine

14 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Other (Please state)

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. None

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Not bothered

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully not many.

2. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    After listening to the Filoni interview on the Forcecast I am pretty sure we won't be seeing a Palpatine ghost.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they changed the way yoda first hears about this but qui-gon still tells him and starts him down the path. so no contradiction there.
    have a feeling the "shaman of the whills" and the "five priestesses" are the same. so even if the rots book is non-canon now it's still pretty much the same thing.

personally i think seeing yoda as a spirit is good enough.

4. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    I voted Yoda. For the same reason as others have said about the silliness of having either a young Anakin (Christensen) or Obi-Wan ( McGregor).

If they could do a convincing Alec Guiness from old footage/CGI and a superb voice impersonator then maybe...

Dewback likes this.
  5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    ^This.

Yoda is ok, but I will kill myself if they include Hayden or Ewan as force ghosts.... Alec in CGI sounds more plausible.

6. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Or maybe just have Obi's ghost as a voice in Luke's head rather then an acal image.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think obi wan's ghost should have dementia, and should be forever asking Luke at inopportune moments if he's seen his bag

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think many of the people who had issues with Hayden in the prequels (of which I am one of them, to some degree) are underestimating the immense dramatic potential a scene with Anakin and Luke would have, and what such a scene could add to the arc of their relationship, arguably the central relationship of the saga.

A long scene would not be needed to get the point across. I'm imagining a brief sequence that picks up at the end of a much longer implied conversation, where Luke is agonizing over a difficult choice he has to make. The camera circles around to reveal that he is speaking to his father. Anakin looks concerned in thought, glances up at his son, and says something along the lines of "You were right about me. You're right about this. I have faith in you."

Luke stares at his father in a moment of melancholy reflection, and gives him a nod. Anakin fades away. Scene done.

There are so, so many perfectly tasteful ways to do such a scene that would add a great sense of continuity to the overall saga. And remember, this is a film from a different director and by a different screenwriter, so just because Hayden shows up for 2 minutes doesn't mean we'd get anything close to another "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" Hayden is a capable actor with the right material, watch Shattered Glass if you don't believe me.

A small, respectfully done scene like this would not hurt the film at all, but could add so, so much.

9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I'd like to see the appearance of a Jedi from the early days of the Republic with a warning for Luke, or better still Leia, about the dangers of history repeating itself in some way.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think that the thing that makes the most sense is a trio of trio's.

So the old guard Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda at least in VII to "pass the torch" from a PT to OT perspective (It's been done in a way of course but this would be a reaffirmation of it) then Luke, Leia and Han and then the new trio introduced in this series.

11. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    How is Anakin able to come back as a force ghost anyway? I thought it was made pretty clear that you have to learn the technique

Dewback likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As GL said and this goes way back to story conferences for Jedi it was Obi-Wan and Yoda who saved him from going into oblivion. Add to that I'd say since he is of the Force itself that probably didn't hurt.

13. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
  14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

he's the chosen one and he returned to the light.

15. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    1. Obi-Wan
    2. Yoda
    3. Anakin
    4. Qui-Gon

In that order

16. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think by the end of Episode 9 everyone should be a Force ghost -- all the old characters and all the new ones -- and they just spend the whole moving chillin'.

They teach him after he dies. Time does not move forward once you get into the Force ghost realm, so they had basically forever to teach him before he reappears in ROTJ. Also, Anakin shows the ability to connect with Force ghosts before he dies. Connecting with Force ghosts is actually a two-way street. Luke can see them in ROTJ but Leia can't even though she is Force-sensitive. That shows that you must gain the ability to see Force ghosts. Anakin has already shown this ability. In the Yoda arc, Anakin hears Qui-Gon's voice even though Qui-Gon is a Force ghost. It's probably safe to assume that this shows that Anakin is moving in the direction of gaining the ability to become a Force ghost himself.

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yoda. And maybe Obi Wan -but only if it were Alec Guiness... (How would they do that? Who knows, maybe leftover footage. Maybe just his voice.)

And WHY...WHY...would anyone want to see Anakin??? Keep him away from the new films!

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    It sure is cool to hate Anakin these days, isn't it? Well like it or not, he's central to the SW story, so if the general hatred of him robs the ST of the dramatic opportunity for him to interact with his living family, I'll find that somewhat disappointing.

19. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Robot Chicken has ruin force ghost for me. Every time I think force ghost I now got this clip in my head..

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Nothing to do with being cool... The character was just horribly represented...twice.

21. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I'm calling it now. Sebastian Shaw Anakin vs. Hayden Christiansen Anakin in a Force-ghost battle for the soul of Luke and the galaxy:

[​IMG]

22. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Yoda makes the most logic as he was the last to train Luke. Also fans love Yoda. Him giving Luke wise knowledge is a must. Also Yoda could say something about the past that could tee up his solo origin film.

rdhight likes this.
  23. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i dont want a yoda film. yoda is one of those characters whose screen time is left small. i dont wanna know where he came from or where he likes to go eat and shop. he's a mystery character and should stay that way.

Dewback and rdhight like this.
  24. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'd be okay with Jedi Ghost cameo. Anything to connect the trilogies works for me.

Maybe even Abrams will explain how this works on screen, since Lucas in my opinion, couldn't get right.

25. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I hope that force ghosts do appear. Since Luke receives the council of departed Jedi throughout the entire original trilogy, it wouldn't make sense for him to ignore them now without any explanation. If they don't appear, a pretty good explanation would have to be given as to why not. I could very well be wrong, but I'm guessing that Anakin, Yoda, Obi-Wan and even Qui-Gon will all appear. A permanent, invincible Jedi council made up of some of the greatest Jedi ever? Pretty good benefit for Luke right there. As for who portrays Obi-Wan, I don't really care. If he appears as his younger self, it could be explained that force ghosts are not bound to one physical appearance. If Obi-Wan needs to be older, then he can be recast. He was recast for the prequels out of necessity and we're all pretty used to it now, so it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.