main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force Ghosts Question

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithMaster_69, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    Can any one see a Force Ghost?

At the end of ROTJ they were present at the celebration. Also on dagobah, R2 was present when OB1 appeared to Luke & spoke with him. So could he see him?

Also, in order to become a Force Ghost does one necessarily have to be Force sensitive? If a non-Force sensitive person is taught the technique can it succeed?

2. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    The movies don't say that there are non-Force sensitive people. "TPM" dialogue clearly states that all living things possess the link to the Force. With that said, other than Luke no one appears to see or hear Ben but that doesn't mean Ben doesn't have the ability to influence the mortals on some other capacity.

3. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I could have swore we had a thread on this.

I think you have to be force sensitive to see them. Pretty sure of that. You do have to be force sensitive to become a "force ghost" (that's not really the right name for it). It's a force technique one uses before they pass on, and even then, certain criteria must be met in order for that to actually work.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    LUKE
    There's more. It won't be easy for you to
    hear it, but you must. If I don't make it
    back, you're the only hope for the Alliance.

Leia is very disturbed by this. She moves away, as if to deny it.

LEIA
    Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power
    I--I don't understand and could never have.

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    There is a thread... which you (Butt) locked.

Here it is.

Oh, and what does Luke say right after that? "You're wrong..."

6. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    Besides, everyone is force sensitive to some degree, albiet most are a small degree. "Life creates it... makes it grow."

Ughh... my memory is failing me. :(

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    LUKE
    You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too.
    In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The
    Force is strong in my family. My father has
    it...I have it...and...my sister has it.

This seems to be in the context of Leia being specifically a Skywalker, not simply a sentient.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Heir to the Empire says that Artoo could not see Obi-Wan's ghost. He thought Luke was just talking to himself.

9. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    really? artoo must of thought the skywalkers were a wierd bunch8-}

at the end of ROTJ could everyone at the celebration see yoda,anakin and obi-wan?they were probably wondering what luke was staring and grinning at.

they must of been confused when hayden's ghost replaced shaw's ghost.:p

10. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I am the author of the thread General Kenobi is referencing. I personally requested that it be locked and DarthButt complied. It wasn't in line with my thinking now so I wanted it closed. Butt told me that it would be no problem and that the next person to start a thread on the same topic would have their's as the offical thread.

that being said, on to the topic,

I don't think just because your Force sensitive that you can see a Ghost, let alone anyone. At the end of RotJ, Luke sees Anakin, Obiwan and Yoda. But Leia, who goes over and hugs him, seems to see nothing. After learning that Anakin was her father, she would have made it clear that she saw Anakin, or any of the Force Ghosts.

11. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    Right..that makes sense, as she does seem to see nothing, at least that would warrant a double take or something from her.

12. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, I remember.. I just went blank at the time. :p

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Leia is capable of seeing Force ghosts. In The Truce At Bakura, the ghost of Anakin appears to her and tries to apologize.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yeah, but it might be more a matter of the ghost choosing to appear to someone in particular than one of certain people having the innate ability to be a ghost whisperer.

15. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Yep, at the end of ROTJ Leia certainly made no indication that she saw Anakin, her long lost father whom sees never seen. No reaction to seeing any ghosts at all. The normal reaction would have been to run and scream like in the Casper cartoons. :p

Then there must have been a long explanation to her from Anakin on who he was. Luke didnt even point him out at the end of ROTJ.

In the revised ROTJ DVD, Luke should have had much more of a surprise reaction than he did when he saw Anakin as a Force ghost. After all, he had just dragged and cremated a man who looked like Shaw, but he sees a Hayden Christensen Force ghost ? 8-}

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007

17. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006
    Uh yeah. That rebuttal pretty much makes no sense because Leia actually is Force sensitive and if anything your rebuttal really just bolsters my interpretation of Star Wars.

Arawn_Fenn, the ability to communicate with the Force is inherent in all living things and if you don't believe this then you're choosing to totally disregard Qui-Gon's dialogue in "TPM".

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Whatever that means. The movies do say that there are non-Force-sensitive people
    ( and by non-Force-sensitive I mean not having Jedi potential ).

QUI-GON : He has special powers.
    SHMI : Yes...
    QUI-GON : He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to
    have such quick reflexes. It is a Jedi trait.
    SHMI : He deserves better than a slave's life.
    QUI-GON : The Force is unusually strong with him, that much is clear. Who was
    his father?
    SHMI : There was no father, that I know of...I carried him, I gave him
    birth...I can't explain what happened. Can you help him?
    QUI-GON : I'm afraid not. Had he been born in the Republic, we would have
    identified him early, and he would have become Jedi, no doubt...he has the
    way.

There's the TPM script for you.

TPM and ROTJ are in agreement on this... not everyone can be a Jedi. *GASP!* :eek:

19. smibrilundun

smibrilundun Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2007
    Artoo is a droid and droids are not force senstive so he wouldn't see a vision cause by the force.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    "Force sensitive" means to be able to sense and manipulate the Force, or in other words, people that could be trained to become a Jedi. People like Han, for example, are not Force sensitive.

21. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I think you need to be Force sensitive to see a ghost, but it's also up to the ghost if they want you to see them. For some reason, at the end of rotj, Leia did not see Anakin, Obiwan, and Yoda. Either she needed training or the ghosts chose to reveal themselves only to Luke.

22. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Either she needed training or the ghosts chose to reveal themselves only to Luke.

Its interesting to note the only 3-way force ghost conversation in the saga was with the voice ghost of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Luke.

23. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The point is that Leia thinks that she can't use the Force. Also, we assume she is neither stupid nor unable to think in a logical fashion. If she thinks she can't use the Force, then it follows that this is because it is known that not everyone can use the Force.

No, when you said "non-Force-sensitive" I really thought you meant "not Jedi potential".
    My stance on the issue of Force sensitivity has not changed. Shmi and Qui-Gon's discussion agrees with Luke and Leia's in that both discussions imply that not everyone can use the Force.

[face_hypnotized] If you really believe this absurdity, you've managed to completely misunderstand that entire part of TPM. Tatooine is not in the Republic and so the Jedi have no jurisdiction. There's no "discrimination". This sounds like more "Jedi are evil" manufactured nonsense. Interesting that it's not in the films but only in your mind.

25. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No. All that means is that the Jedi only have access to the worlds within the Republic as their legal juristiction ends at the Republic's borders. Admittedly, they do at times move beyond it in dire circumstances or as ambassadors. Regardless, the fact that Tatooine wasn't a member of the Republic means the Jedi lack the access they'd need to acccurately determine who is and isn't Force Sensitive on the entire planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.