main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN Force Heretic Trilogy Discussion (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jfren484, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfren484

jfren484 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2001
    There might be a thread from Remnant, but it's fallen far enough off the list that I'm too lazy to go searching for it. :p

Post your thoughts on any of the novels in the trilogy. Please mark any messages with a spoiler warning if they're about Refugee, at least for the first couple weeks after it comes out.

2. jfren484

jfren484 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2001
    I like that Zonama Sekot is finally being brought into the NJO series. I've been waiting for it since Rogue Planet, and reading about Vergere in the last few books made me want them to hurry up and explain what happened to ZS (which I like to call "him" for short).

One gripe is the narrow focus of the series. There's a Luke thread, a Leia thread, and then a Nom Anor thread. Each thread has several other familiar faces, of course, but it's basically two regular stories taking place simultaneously (the Nom Anor thread feels like a token YV offering to make sure we don't forget we're reading an NJO series). Where's Wedge? Rogue Squadron? Lando? Kyp? These books read more like non-NJO novels.

Another complaint of mine is that some of the characters don't feel right. Leia is probably the worst one. She just doesn't seem like the Leia we know. Jag, too, to a lesser extent. There are others, but not as bad. Jacen and Jaina I think are right on.

Ok, did everyone forget how to use the Force? There were several instances where a Jedi was in danger or an uncertain situation at least, and could have used the Force to aid themselves, but didn't. One specific occassion is when Jaina and Malinza Thanas meet up with Malinza's cohorts for the first time. Jaina thinks there might be someone in the tree based on movement she sees and hears. Hello? Can't you sense whether someone's up there?

And I don't buy for a second that an advanced civilization like the Chiss would have their records in book form. There's no way that would be better than electronic form. Even if they're worried about losing data, they could simply make copies that would be stored in safe locations as backups.

My overall impression is that I'm not very impressed with the authors, and that the series probably should have been one book instead of three. Did we really need to drag the Yevetha and the Ssi-ruuk back in just for the heck of it? The Chiss I can see, they've been involved somewhat already and we're connected to them through Jag. The Imperial Remnant stuff I liked, especially the battle scenes. I'd give the series a 5 out of 10 so far. Definitely not as good as the last several books.

3. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I think they are just trying to tie up all loose ends from the previous EU books before moving on. That is why we see all these races being dragged back into the story and dealt with.

We do have confirmation now that there will be post NJO books so these sorts of things could just be a clearing house sort of thing.

I agree with you on the Chiss. Something just didn't seem right about them.

One would think if a weapon in their space could defeat the Vong they would want to know about it. even if they didn't want Luke to find it they would have not just let it go with a "well you can look in our library"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.