main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force jump

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Veritas21885, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veritas21885

Veritas21885 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2007
    Anyone know where I can find a good turtorial for force jump?

2. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Which kind?
    There's several ways to do it.

1)Editing tricks. Fairly obvious, but they get the idea across.
    2)Film someone acting out the jump, mask around/composite out the actor and animate them moving through the shot.
    3)Computer-generated character.

That's what I think of off-hand, anyway. Which are you looking for?

-Vaportrail

3. Veritas21885

May 23, 2007
    I guess option 2 becuase I have after effects CS3 and camera. I think I know how to do it but want to see it done to make sure i'm not missing anything

4. Kessno

Kessno Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2007
    This should work for you, good luck.

http://www.mlsstudios.com/tutorial.forcejump.php

5. Veritas21885

May 23, 2007
    yeah seen that one but I was hopeing for a video tut?

6. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Check out his .zip file. That's probably as close as you're gonna get.
    A little reading never hurt anyone.

-Vaportrail

7. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    So, this isn't exactly a video tutorial, but a video showing how we made our force jump. No real explanation on the video, but I can elaborate here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RpmRM6kuVNU

2:20 - 2:50

We first just had the standard action shot, and the actor would, plain and simple, jump up and out of the frame, and the other fighter (myself), would act out as if he landed the jump.
    We then shot the actor over a "white screen", as you can see on the video. Then we keyed out the white, and added him in there frame by frame, and threw a motion blur on him as well.
    A "white screen" is probably the worst color to use, but we really had nothing else at the time, and luckily it came out quite nicely.

I think the quick cuts really helped to sell the jump. It's a bit hard to pull off a force jump all in one shot, I think it would be a bit awkward.

8. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    White screen is okay to use.. I may try that in the near future. So far I only did it once, but it was an image I created in Photoshop w/ a white background rather than footage. This was before I was shown what alpha channels do, heh.
    The only trick to it is that you want to have something behind the white part of the image you want to show up. It doesn't even have to be a copied picture of the person, just a white solid more or less the same shape tracked behind it.

That'll keep it from looking too dark, anyway. Motion blur helps a little, but if you don't want it to look too dark, that's the easy fix.

-Vaportrail

9. shalto

shalto Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2007
    This post is actually helpful for me and my project. During the climax of the film there is an action sequence where the force sensitive hero is facing off against the dark jedi. Bad guy has the lightsaber but the hero doesn't.

So for the begining of the fight he has to keep evading the lightsaber and use his other Force skills to keep the bad guy at bay. I had ruled out using wirework on account of it being too dangerous and way too expensive. Hopefully with a combo of
    editing and compositing i can get the idea across. Of cource , still got a ways to go before I have to worry about that, but it is nice to know I'll have options when I get there.

10. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    Here's a force jump I made pretty much the same way described already in this thread.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1447969

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.