main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force lighting!!??

Discussion in 'Literature' started by METZ, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    sith pirate: "Why hasn't anyone else killed another so easily with Force Lightning.

Or are we to believe now that Jaina is more powerful than Palpatine at this point."
    ___
    If you are referring primarily to the Emperor zappin' Luke, there's two possible explanations

1) Luke was a Jedi, he may have been doing a Corran-style energy absorbtion thingy (though not all that succesfully) or simply shielding himself partially or whatever. THe Vong, having no access to the force, can't do that, thus they would be potentially easier to kill

2) Palpy may have 'powered-down' his lightning, so to speak, in order to torture Luke a bit before he finished him off. We know how much he relished watching others in pain before their deaths (ie- Lemelisk)

2. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Plus mastery of the Dark Side isn't all power - it's about knowing how to use it. Jaina might be able to blast craters in Vong, but she doesn't have the knowledge or experience to do all the creepier darkside stuff that Palpatine or Exar Kun could pull off that makes lightning look like a parlor trick.

3. METZ

METZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2001
    I can understand it if Jainas was one off bolt of force lighting.... she is after all a powerfull jedi in her own right and I think sometimes people forget that, but the book made out that she could do it when ever she wanted to? and that just didnt seem right to me

but maybe she thought she could do it when ever she wanted but didnt know that what she did was a one off???

4. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    ? but the book made out that she could do it when ever she wanted to? and that just didnt seem right to me

Why? It?s not a difficult technique if the Jedi using it has a great amount of potential.

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Uhm... You seem to all have forgotten that Jaina was at the Shadow Academy. SbS says that she used what she was taught there to focus the Force.

6. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I didn't forget :D

ps- I just realised the subject title then- "force lighting"- is that like clap-clap lights for jedi???

7. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    There were a lot of little witty remarks on the first page about that, actually.

8. METZ

Nov 17, 2001
    DAMN AND SITHSPAWN curse my dislex...my dixs...my dis.....

DAMN CURSE MY INABILITY TO SPELL

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Quote: "I mean, if it weren't a "special" power, we would have seen more of it by now, IE either through Vader or Maul."

In the "Phantom Menance" PC game, Darth Maul is capable of utilizing crimson-hued lightning bolts.

Question: Is Force lightning a manifestation of energy from the Force? Or is it merely conjuring a bolt of lightning with the assistance of the Force?

If the former is true and Force lightning is an actual manifestation of the Force, how can it possibly affect the Vong, seeing as how they don't exist within the Force?

Someone theorized that the Force powers in "Star by Star" worked against the Vong because the Jedi were using the Force to manipulate the environment around the Vong. For instance, Force push doesn't necessarily shove the target, but merely the air in between wielder and victim, correct?

If Force lightning is merely the use of the Force to conjure a natural, environmental element, then perhaps that ability isn't restricted to only dark side advocates.

However, if it is a manifestation of Force magic and the dark side, then should it be capable of affecting the Vong at all?

10. METZ

Nov 17, 2001
    the above we have soem very well thought out questions.... i am still none the wiser... i i do feel the force LIGHTNING is a manifestaion of the force itself, but I think it can effect the vong as they are in a galaxy were the force is apart of everything

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Valyn...
    "Question: Is Force lightning a manifestation of energy from the Force? Or is it merely conjuring a bolt of lightning with the assistance of the Force? If the former is true and Force lightning is an actual manifestation of the Force, how can it possibly affect the Vong, seeing as how they don't exist within the Force?"

Their existence or non-existence in the Force is irrelevent. If I conjure up a Mack truck with the Force and run a Vong over, they're still going to get flattened regardless of whether they're in tune with the Force or not. A physical manifestation is a physical manifestation, regardless of whether it's origins are Force-based.

"If Force lightning is merely the use of the Force to conjure a natural, environmental element, then perhaps that ability isn't restricted to only dark side advocates."

Force lightening was never the sole province of Darksiders. It has never been restricted to only dark side advocates. However, those non-darksiders who use it have to face the ramifications of doing so. If they use it too much, then in the blink of an eye they may very well be dark side advocates because of it.

"However, if it is a manifestation of Force magic and the dark side, then should it be capable of affecting the Vong at all?"

If a Vong starts chewing on a power cable, his arse is going to get fried. The only way lightening wouldn't affect the Vong would be if they're immune to energy. And we know they're not.

12. METZ

Nov 17, 2001
    the above is what i was trying to say... thank you... you put across my point very well

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I was wondering if anyone on this thread would recall Jaina's experience in the Shadow Academy...*Nods in acknowledgement to the person who articulated as much*

In regards to Force lightning, what I mean is this: Is the lightning real, natural lightning, or is it energy drawn upon from the Force itself?
    The Force, supposedly, cannot affect the Vong. So how can Force lightning harm them?

From what I've garnered, based on theories suggested on these forums, the Force can only affect the Vong if it is used to manipulate the environment around them. Assuming this is true, then "Force lightning" is simply using the Force to conjure a natural bolt of lightning.

However, then you have to wonder, if a Force-wielder is not within an environment capable of natural forces (such as the Death Star), how can he/she conjure up this elemental force?
    Considering this, the Force lightning must be a manifestation of the energies of the Force itself.

So, again, how can it possibly affect the Yuuzhan Vong if they are not included within the Force's sphere of influence? Force lightning, according to the above example, is a form of the Force itself--and the Force itself cannot affect the Vong.

14. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Of all the ways a dark jedi can kill, lightning has got to be one of the least efficient. Honestly, just using to TK to stop someone's heart, or pinching off an artery to the brain, or any number of things would not take much energy but would make the person just as dead. So let's assume that when dark jedi use the trick, theyre not usually trying to kill instantly so much as cause extreme pain.

This makes sense with Palpy's attack of Luke, as well as with C'Boath when he was zapping people at random in the throne room: They were trying to incapacitate and break, not kill. Had they wanted to outright kill the enemy, I'm sure they would have, by lightning or whatever else. But they were just trying to break their enemies down through intense pain.

Thus, when Jaina has just seen her brother killed in front of her, and some random warrior decides to desecrate his corpse, she isnt trying to hurt the guy, she's trying to melt him. And she does, to her credit.

Just because we never saw Palpy do it doesn't mean you should assume he couldn't do it. Bad logic, that.

15. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    1. The Vong are a part of the Force. Anakin proved that when he went SSJ.
    2. The Vong are mostly unaffected by the way Jedi manipulate the Force.
    3. The Vong are affected by Force lightning just as any other thing would be.
    4. The fact that an ysalimiry (sp?) can stop Force lightning means that Force lightning needs the Force for it to travel through space or any type of atmosphere (I?m sure that there is a way to get though an ysalimiry bubble, but that hasn?t been done yet).

Given this information, I believe that Force lightning is just like a Force wave in most respects; it is conjured by a Jedi?s manipulation of the Force, and effects things physically. The difference is that Force lightning effects everything the same. Vong are immune to weak Force pushes (although not strong ones, as seen in Rebirth), but they are not immune to Force lightning.

My theory is that the Vong exist in one wavelength of the Force and the Jedi exist in another. Force lightning exists in both.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Interesting theory.

I do hope that the upcoming NJO novels will unveil the answer for us. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.