main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Force lightning overload?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Regarding the force lightning, the biggest blow that I think it suffered was in Ep2. When Dooku attacked Obi-Wan with it, he simply raised his lightsaber and the lightning was absorbed. It didn't even seem like Obi-Wan was using some of his power in the Force to do it, all you needed to do to block the awesome Sith Force Lightning was to raise your lightsaber in front of you.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I know what you mean, Gry. Up until I saw the RotS spoilers in 3SA, I was convinced that Palpatine wasn't going to be using a lightsaber. Then again, I thought the same thing about Yoda before AotC. [face_frustrated]

I always noticed how little OT Kenobi uses his saber, and sort of assumed that this was a trait of more experienced Jedi who rely more on the Force. Especially because Yoda doesn't even have a saber (that we know of) in the OT.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well lightsabers were invented by the Jedi, after all....and they've been fighting Sith for millenia. And besides, I think it's a nice demonstration of Yoda's statement in ESB when he tells Luke that the dark side isn't any stronger than the light side, so it's somewhat fitting that a Force user who taps into the dark side ends up getting little benefit from it.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The same thing had already appeared in The Last Command. As to the question of why Zahn went this route, I think it's significant that Luke threw down his saber in ROTJ.

5. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    But this is Obi-Wan we're talking about. :cool: :p

6. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

If you don't use it, you lose it.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think the ease in which Obi-Wan blocked Dooku's lightning was a mixture of Dooku's lack of effort + his lack of strength in the Force as opposed to someone as powerful as Sidious.

Mace deflected Sidious' lightning too, but it was with much greater effort. And when Yoda catches Sidious' lightning in his hands, it was with much greater effort than when he did the same with Dooku. But Dooku himself only appeared as though he was using the Force very casually in that he didn't appear to be exerting himself at all. I don't know how much of it was simply Dooku showing off.

There are a couple exceptions, but for the most part - so far as I can tell - Force lightning seems to be used more when the user or opponent is disarmed.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes but there is no need to use lightsaber at all if you can solve problem without violence even if there is enemies, but if you can solve the situation without anyone dying or being hurt it is better- there was no need to kill tuskens either or few stormtroopers, they mean nothing to Empire and Ben would've caused only more problems by showing lightsaber to stormies....

What comes to blocking sith lighting- looks like one-hand lighting (Dooku's favorite) can easily be blocked and Dooku never took seriously Obi-Wan anyway- he wanted to show him some saberskills as well, if he would've used all his power he could've shocked Obi-Wan.... but where is the fun in that?:p He is master swordsman he likes to use his saber....

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I got a better idea, try the plot. The plot is what dictated what occurred. Like I said before, when it comes to the prequels, the story from a script/novel and certain animatic point of view were way better than the actual product. The actual product (being the prequels) were inferior and not that great. I think this was why The Matrix in 1999 blew away TPM even though TPM made double what the Matrix did. In 2002, both Spiderman and Lord of the Rings blew it away (international cume, domestic is not all that important anymore. The world is not the USA). In 2005, ROTS was a better movie, but, man, look at the Grevious chase animatic and the duel between Sidious and Yoda and its like man, what happened here. Then you had the Dagobah scene deleted and youe like, what the ****

The battle with Dooku in AOTC was as ridiulous as the fight with Sidious in ROTS. The wierd cacking sounds was a killer.

So in the end, guys, its the plot.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't see a problem with it. It differentiates between a Sith apprentice and a Sith master. It also explains why a Sith apprentice would not try to turn on his master. Well, at least not alone, anyway.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think there's been too much lightning in TCW. Does anybody have an approximation of the total number of episodes that have any at all? I think it'd be a small percentage of the number of total episodes. If there are only Force-lightning episodes once in awhile, I'm fine with some of those episodes having a lot of it. It was used for about 3 seconds in Shadow Warrior so I'm not sure what the big problem with that is.

And I pretty much disagree on the whole anti-lightsaber discussion. We're not in the same context as the OT. Generals in war are more likely to instinctively draw their weapon at everything then hermits trying to train the completely uninitiated in the ways of the Force or sneak around undetected on a space station. Being on a battlefield is very different.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'll tell you one thing they don't show enough, force strangulations.

13. Protean

Protean Jedi Master star 2

Sep 17, 2008
    I wish that Star Wars media would go back to having Jedi use nonlethal violence when they can.

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yoda having a lightsaber always bugged me, it really doesn't fit with his character. Palpatine on the other hand, I am ok with since I like the EU explanation for it. According to him the SIth outgrew the use of lightsabers ages ago, they merely use them to mock the Jedi.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    And yet when Yoda absorbs Dooku's Force Lightning, he reverts to using a saber. How easy for the Sith to say they outgrew them, but I haven't seen any other amazing Force powers that would obviate the need for a saber.

And with respect to Obi-Wan blocking the lightning, I always thought it was extremely badass.:cool: If the Jedi couldn't block Force Lightning, how could they ever defeat the Sith? I mean, ever.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Roll around on the ground and wait for your dad to toss the Sith down a shaft.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010

18. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I was actually ticked off that there was little to no Force lightning in the first two seasons, then Season 3.5 comes and then BOOM! We get Dooku and the Son using excessive amounts of lightning! Thank you, TCW staff! :D [face_laugh]

19. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I was annoyed that Savage didn't just block Dooku's near-constant Force lightning with his lightsaber in "Witches of the Mist". Nevermind that the entire fight scene was terrible.

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    That's explained earlier in the episode itself. Remember, he says "How does one defend against such power?" during his training, showing that he's a complete novice. Like that wasn't obvious enough.

21. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

22. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    That, right there, is one of the best uses of symbolism in Star Wars. It was as Yoda himself said, A jedi uses his power for self defense, never attack. Luke's kneejerk reaction to start slashing stuff is what defeats him. Yet that is all we see the Jedi do in the Prequels. It is kinda justified in the Clone Wars, where they are forced to go against their morals, but during TPM, its like the Jedi are freaking paranoid maniacs. Even Yoda disregards his own lesson by drawing his weapon, which ultimately let Dooku escape and continue the war. Had Yoda not been drawn into a saber fight, and had simply used the Force, the war may very well have ended there.

24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think the reason why Lucas wrote the droid army into the prequels was to get around the whole "nonlethal" philosophy from the original trilogy.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Makes sense, as well as the slaughter of anything nonhuman, like Geonosian Insects. That's most likely why they are making such a big deal over the Umbara arc being the "first time" :rolleyes: that the Jedi and Clones have fought humanoids in the series.