main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Force powers with the newly balanced Force

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Count Yubnub, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I'd like to see some kind of dark Jedi Mind Trick. I think that's something missing so far that needs to be shown at some point, it makes far more sense for a villainous character to use that power.

Also Force Crush. Though it might be a little too hardcore given it's basically every bone in a being's body getting snapped at once. Something like what happens to Dan at the end of Paranormal Activity 3.

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Force Crush would be nice.

Sitara likes this.
  3. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Esp. when used on an entire planet. :D

4. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    not sure about that but I could see crushing some ships although really from an energy perspective they be better off redirecting an asteroid to destroy the planet.

5. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Honestly, I do not want to see any new powers, because I think it can become a slippery slope to absurdity. However, we are almost certain to see new powers displayed. I speculate that any new powers will be brief abilities that can temporarily turn the tide of a battle.
    Possibilities:
    1. Invulnerability: What if a villain is struck with a lightsaber and sustains no damage? Obviously, we would later have to find out that he cannot do this all the time.
    2. Speed: Would not mind a Force user doing battle becoming a blur. (I think something similar is described in the EU, during a Vong battle with Luke) This would have to be during a heroic moment.
    3. Teleportation: A rare event, suppose a Force User senses a comrade is in danger and teleports to save them. This power would have to be limited in distance. Like across a room or maybe a ship. No planet hopping crap.

As I said before, I do not want to see any new powers. However, I thought of the above merely for discussion purposes.

6. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Yeah, many of the EU powers seemed absurd to me, but I liked them. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Expanding upon the teleportation idea, I would show Force "wormholes" or "portals", where you can teleport from one place to another with them.

I would love to see more Force duels. Most of the duels in the other two trilogies involved lightsabers.

7. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    As long as the ability to make the Force portals required an incredible amount of effort and could only be done rarely. I would quickly grow tired of Jedi/Sith hopping from planet to planet through Force portals.

Episode Swag and Klingon Padawan like this.
  8. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I want a return to the OT style of using the Force. Don't make it over the top. Make it more subdued, and thus there will be more weight behind it.

9. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Is that when a Jedi makes you fall in love with them?

I don't want to see any over-the-top new powers, frankly. It could easily become video-game-esque. Keep it subtle and seldom used...what made Palpatine's force lightning so incredible the first time we saw it was the simple fact that we never saw it. By the time Palps fried Yoda in his office in ROTS, I was a bit bored by its over-use, not to mention the ease with which it can be deflected...apparently by either a lightsaber or the "Jedi Palm Trick" Yoda pulled on Dooku.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Force Storm as seen in Dark Empire.

Telekinetic lightsaber wielding

The doppleganger illusion thingy Luke does in DE.

Possession

Drain Life Essence: victim literally shrivels to a crinkly corpse.

In ROTS when Palpatine leaps while swirling at Mace Windu there is a good argument to be made there that he used Force Scream. I'd like to see perhaps a more obvious version.

Klingon Padawan likes this.
  11. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    Like I said, it could easily become a video game.

12. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Not understanding the video game thing at all.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd just like to see some of the old ones brought back, and done more justice. Mind tricks not being played for laughs. Not using the force to move fruit or open doors. I'd like to see a return of more of the mental abilities like communicating telepathically over long distances, sensing thoughts and feelings. Mainly, I just want the force to be respected and used when the plot or action call for it. I don't want the force to become like bat gadgets, something for every occasion.

14. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    "These aren't the droids you're looking for": Wonderful use of the force; not video game.

What Pro Scoundrel just said: Wonderful use of the force; not video game.

Everything VadersLaMent said? Video Game. Just not my preference...way too cartoonish and over-the-top.

15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    None, I don't want them to be too powerful. I want to see human struggle and drama, not Gods among men.

Darth_Pevra and run_luke_run like this.
  16. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    Amen.

And Amen.

17. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    In the OT Luke was still learning vader didn't go all out in any of his fights and we never saw the emperor or Yoda fight. Now in the PT the jedi order is at its peak with thousands of powerful Jedi knights and jedi masters of course we were going to see now powers. In the ST I think the Jedi will be less powerful because all the knowledge from the Jedi order was destroyed everything has to be rebuilt.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Force Urination....if there are bathrooms. :D

Son of a Bith likes this.
  19. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    Honestly, I would like to see less force powers used, and more focus put on actual physical combat. The lightsaber combat scenes were amazing in the PT and end of the OT. If the new actors or their stunt doubles could be professional ninjas/trickers/break dancers (lol)/gymnasts, etc., or some combination of these, I'd be ecstatic.

Darth Maul has nothing on this haha:

But, to answer the question, I would like to see an effective lightsaber throw done, not like Vader's epic fail throw in RotJ

Episode Swag and darthbarracuda like this.
  20. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Just the usual Force powers. Telekinesis, maybe some mind tricks here and there, and blocking blaster bolts coming at you. Not any of this "make a bubble underwater so I can survive" kind of crap. You add that in, and suddenly people begin questioning the limits of a Force user's abilities. Makes them seem invincible and capable of everything.

Darth Claire and Khalil O. like this.
  21. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Maybe flow-walking if they decided to stay in line with the EU history. It could be used as a flashback type scene. Showing the deaths of certain characters who will not be named to protect the innocents who don't read the EU and would like to be shocked.

22. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    If given the choice, I would take the OT force that we hardly saw over the PT force, as cool as it was to see.

23. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I don't think that anyone should be strong enough to destroy a planet with the force or anything. Nor should they be going all Samurai Jack and owning thousands of droids without their lightsaber like Mace Windu in the original Clone Wars Miniseries. (Even though that fight was awesome, I find that scene as a more "What if" scenario than anything else.) They aren't super heroes and were never meant to be. I also don't want them to have new force powers.

However, that doesn't mean that they cannot use the powers they already have in interesting and unique ways. For example I think it would be awesome to have a Dark Jedi/Sith tear apart someone's limbs/body via the levitation trick we all love and know. Plus why not have someone make lightning flow around their body as a kind of improvised lightsaber armor? Why not have them throw their lightsaber and guide it like a homing missile? Also, we have not seen anyone heal someone that is close to death with the force. That would be awesome to see! And we have only really seen force speed at the beginning of Phantom Menace. Force speed would be a great thing to see in a fight.

And heck I've always wondered this last one. If the Jedi can use the force to lift things, then why don't they ever use it to lift themselves? They could theoretically fly for as long as they concentrate on using the force. Sure it would have its downsides though, considering they wouldn't be able to fight as well while doing this. That and if they screw up, they could fall down to the ground with a deadly smack. So I suppose it makes sense as to why the Jedi never fly. But we do see them jump very high and fall down from high distances without getting hurt. So obviously some form of self levitation is used there.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want every fight to be filled with force and mayhem like the Avatar cartoon. Each force user has his/her own style of fighting. One might be more force focused, while another is more proficient in swordplay. So I'd love to see unique fights, some more primarily with the lightsaber duels we know and love. Others could be more force based and expose us to interesting applications of techniques we've seen. There's a lot of potential here for great action and I'd love to see them deliver.

24. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I second that. The flow-walking technique is quite interesting...a very Zen/samurai force technique if there ever was one. I'd also like to see more of the force speed and force leap techniques, with new and unusual applications thereof.

credar likes this.
  25. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Nah I want to see more stuff like mace manhandling a whole droid army by himself. Got to separate Top Tier jedi from the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.