main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Force powers with the newly balanced Force

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Count Yubnub, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    She sure did.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Damn, did I really write that? [face_blush]

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tasteful innuendo.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes i do, in every iteration of the star wars rpg, use of telekinesis in this manner tilted the character towards the dark side.

Every saber battle in the PT was full of acrobatics enhanced by the Force, not so in the OT.

Luke didn't see across great distances, he had a vision like Anakin in AOTC. It's a passive ability, and isn't always something that can be 'brought on'. Will of the Force and all that jazz.

As for glimpsing Vaders mind, he is his son. For crying out loud, at least read my posts. Family ties make sensing a LOT easier.

Re kenobi - my point was in response to your junk statement about PT jedi not sensing across great distances...

As for Leia on Bespin, Luke projected into her mind, she didn't sense him, so forget that point...

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I forgot what part in the movie did Luke say he was projecting into Leia's mind? :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Maybe the Force never was out of balance and that prophecy was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Their ability to use the Force diminishing was Palps essentially Force-jamming them with his immense dark side power.

If you want to apply logic (yes that dreaded word) to it, why would the goings on in one galaxy out of trillions balance or unbalance the Force? If we assume that the Force is supposed to permeate the entire cosmos - and apparently it is, since the inhabitants of the YV's home galaxy were familiar with it and there were Force-sensitives and force-users there at a time.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You seem to blame everything on the family connections. Fact is that force powers in the OT were quite strong, whether they were used passive or active. Your claim that they were weak is plain wrong as is obvious if you don't buy into Lucas BS about the cloud of the dark side.

Also funny to use RPGs as proof that a certain force power is eeevil.

As for the PT Jedi not sensing across great distances they were not capable of detecting Palpatines evil when he stood right in front of them. Obviously their ability to sense someone isn't reliable at all.

8. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    You want to pick that individual tidbit out?

How about 'where in the movie does Luke's dark side point meter go up?'

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Telepathy

9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    In the Ultimate Editions, they added a helpful little sidebar that's there during the whole movie. It looks just like that alignment meter from KOTOR and everytime someone does something it goes up and down.

My personal favorite change to the Saga.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    'Lucas BS' is gospel I'm afraid, it's his universe and has been repeated in-universe by Windu...

As for being weak... Yoda sure struggled with that X-Wing and there was a severe lack of Force-enhanced dexterity / strength, with a couple of Skywalker-sized examples aside (being of the chosen one bloodline, they're going to make things look easier). Sure the Force was used, I'm not denying that, but they aren't on the same scale of Force usage within the PT.

RPG's are one of the only canon sources regarding these Force powers, so unless you can prove otherwise you're out of luck.

PT Jedi not sensing Palpatine is testament to Palpatine's skills, not the Jedi's lack thereof.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What I think is that this is the ST forum and therefore Lucas gospel or RPG material doesn't hold much weight, especially compared to the movies themselves.

Regarding Yoda we must keep in mind the guy is near death. And when he lifts the X-wing he doesn't seem to struggle, his expression is fairly peaceful and when he lifts the spaceship out of the swamp it is to demonstrate Luke the possibilities the force offers. There was no need for haste.

For every powerful display of the force in the OT you seem to think they don't count because "they are family members" or "they are Sith". Those seem all like pretty lame and unnecessary excuses. There's nothing wrong with the OT heroes and villains showing peak force powers, after all the OT is meant to be the epic conclusion of the saga. For emphasis: epic conclusion.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You would be correct.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002

So what if it's the ST forum, does that makes other canon null and void? Er.... no.

Where was it mentioned in the movie that Force-choke wasn't dark / 'eeevil'? > It wasn't

Where was it mentioned in the movie that the PT Jedi were losing their ability to use the Force? > Windu stated this to Yoda...

- About Yoda... Yoda isn't known to be 'near death' when he first appeared in ESB, this is only established in RotJ.
    - When Yoda falls off Luke after Luke has his Bespin vision, in the PT he could have used the Force to land comfortably, not flail about...
    - No need for haste? That would have proved his point more effectively to Luke, surely?

The Jedi's ability to use the Force was stated as being diminished, not the Sith, hence my arguments.

As for family ties, that plays a HUGE part in making certain Force powers easier to use and, heck, Luke is what Anakin could have been, so he's supposed to be a full-fat Force dynamo...

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    GL's words are still only the words of the creative consultant and not Kathy Kennedy or Bob Iger words. Even Dave Filoni's take now has more weight to it because he is still working on Star Wars. That's the situation now.

Which only proves that the PT Jedi's force was inhibited, not what was the case twenty years later. Who knows in what cycles the force moves? It certainly seemed to strengthen Luke and rebel alliance in general.

Having the ship rise as slowly and aesthetically had a huge effect on the audience and definitely a huge effect on Luke too.

And again, Yoda was old and frail. He died six month later.

All I read is you claiming that it is easier to telepathically speak with relatives when there is no real proof for this whatsoever.

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Force Shout

16. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Okay. About the Jedi being more OP now with the balance. I cannot quoth it directly but somewhere Word of God claimed that when Yoda told Luke that the Dark Sided is not more powerful, he way lying. Point number two. Maybe the prophecy was misinterpreted. Saying that the dark side(a part of the Force) causes inbalance simply by existing and the genocide of the dark side users would cause balance is moronic. I usually really support the EU but let's disregard it for a moment. What did Anakin's betrayal cause? 4 force users. Roughly equally powered pairs for Light and Dark. Obi-wan/Vader and Yoda/Sidious. Perfect balance. Hehh

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Balance of the Force means something more like "harmony"... not balance as in "equal numbers on opposing sides".

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    yeah I know that is the generally accepted concept. And I always considered it BS. Doesn't the Mortis arc validate my version? Just asking. I sooo wanna be a sith lord in the ST that effs up Luke's concept of the Force. He will be choking on his own lightsaber blade after I'm done with him. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    If they'd have had CGI in 1980 you can bet your bottom dollar that Yoda would have landed comfortably and not flail about, but that's a technical issue and has nothing to do with the force, the story or anything else. In 1980 they had a puppet with limited movement etc, in the PT they had CGI.

Had to point that out, good conversation though, very entertaining reading

MogiWan likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The force is more than just a few users. The terror of the Galactic Empire is what brought the imbalance, imo.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Here's the problem. Lucas never said that. In fact, his statements contradict that notion. It is only said by people on the Internet who are not Lucas and are not employed by the franchise.

If a sect of darksiders has developed the ability to shift the balance of the Force, it is not moronic to think that wiping out this sect would permit the restoration of the balance.

Force users are not the Force; the balance of the Force is not a balance of Force-users. You said yourself that the dark side is "a part of the Force", which is not the same thing as a group of people.

No.

eht13 likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Hopefully the ST doesn't even bring up that prophesy in any shape or form

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The prophecy is a pretty big part of the saga now. If the ST is a continuation of the story begun in Episode I and not the start of entirely new storyline then I think the prophecy must come into play somehow. There has to be a reason why the story isn't over after VI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.