main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force Powers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by itsfrankman, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsfrankman

itsfrankman Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2003
    I was just wondering what everyone thinks the best Force powers between all episodes are and reasons why. I don't want this to become a big list, i'd like real opinions to back up your suggestions heres mine. Also no EU powers please.

6. Force Run: I think this is the worst Force power seen on screen. Its been used once, and there were other ways of avoiding the situation. Also, it seems like something that serves no real use except in very specific situations.
    5. Mind Trick: I really liked this power until the PT. I knew the strong-minded were unaffected but i wasn't aware that entire races had an immunity. I thought that ruinded this power's value in a Jedi's arsenal.
    4. Push/Pull: i listed these together because they are basically the same move; moving an object or person either towards or away from you. this move is basically an all around great move. you can use it in any situation and i find it to be very useful. it may not be the coolest but its probally the most used or most vital to a jedi.
    3. Block Laser: I don't know a better way to describe this move. Its when Vader blocked Han's shots in ESB. This move is almost useless since he could have used a lightsabre but it was one of the coolest things a force user has done. i mean you see someone stop blasts with there sword and your like yea seen it. but then he does it with his hand and its like crap this guy just went hardcore lol
    2. lightning: so far its the only sith exclusive we've seen (sides block laser which has no real value just looks awesome) this move would probably be number one for power, usefullness, and on screen prescence if not for the fact that only sith could use it.
    1. Choke: this has always been my personal fav. its also very useful for torture, killing or stealthing around. plus it just looks so bad a$$. when someone breaks out the force choke, its time to run. i'd jut like to clearify that this is not sith only as i've heard some people say. Luke used it in ROTJ in jabba's palace.

allright lets hear yours

2. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    6. Force Run: I think this is the worst Force power seen on screen. Its been used once, and there were other ways of avoiding the situation. Also, it seems like something that serves no real use except in very specific situations.

It's actually been seen twice although this should really be called Force speed, Luke uses it when he jumps out of the Carbon-freezing chamber.

Which gives us another Force power ie Force jump. Obi-Wan uses this in TPM too.

5. Mind Trick: I really liked this power until the PT. I knew the strong-minded were unaffected but i wasn't aware that entire races had an immunity. I thought that ruinded this power's value in a Jedi's arsenal.

This power isn't necessarily weakened by the revelation that Toydarians aren't affected. It could just be that there are no weak minded Toydarians perhaps their greed overrides everything else in their minds. "Mind tricks don't work on me, only money."

3. Block Laser: I don't know a better way to describe this move. Its when Vader blocked Han's shots in ESB. This move is almost useless since he could have used a lightsabre but it was one of the coolest things a force user has done. i mean you see someone stop blasts with there sword and your like yea seen it. but then he does it with his hand and its like crap this guy just went hardcore lol

This power should be expanded to include Yoda's absorbtion of the force lightning.

A possible power you've missed is 'Force locate' which Anakin uses when he jumps out of the speeder onto Zam's speeder. Although i'm willing to accept this could just be heightened senses.

Oh and don't forget 'Farsightedness' "things will you see... the future, old friends long gone"

And finally there is whatever power Obi-Wan employs to make the sound of a Kryat dragon.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    There are really only 3 Force powers: Sense, Alter and Control.

Control is internal; the Jedi recognizes the Force in himself, and how to use it.

Sense allows the Jedi to detect objects or other people.

Alter allows the Jedi to manipulate his surroundings.

All of these "Force Run," "Force Jump," "Force Push," etc. things are merely manifestations of the Alter skill.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Man, I totally loved the "force speed" use by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan! I was hoping Lucas would show us its use in battle, a la Jedi Outcast.

Force choke is very impressive...particularly when the victim is in another ship.

5. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    Toydarians aren't the only species unaffected by mind tricks, and the fact that entire species could be unaffected was revealed long before Episode I.

Jabba knew that he could not be mind-tricked by a humanoid Jedi. Regardless of whether only Jabba couldn't be affected, that statement has now come to indicate that the entire Hutt species is unaffected. It seems logical that a humanoid would not have the knowledge of the psychology of other sentient species which are not close or relatively close in physiology to be able to mind trick them. It seems reasonable that a Hutt Jedi or a Toydarian Jedi would be able to mind trick a fellow Hutt or Toydarian or similar species, but would have just as much trouble to mind-trick a human or humanoid as they would in mind-tricking a Hutt or Toydarian. Whatever mental impetus a Jedi uses to mind-trick a fellow humanoid might not be the same impetus that is necessary to mind trick a creature of radically different nature and physiology. The action which they are using against the different species might be completely ineffective against those creature's brains or might even be assisting a natural process in those species.

I hope what I wrote made some sense.

6. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    Whether a mind trick works or not has got nothing to do with similarities of physiology/psychology. It is stated repeatedly that mind tricks only work on the weak minded. So it's much more reasonable to assume that Toydarians as a race are strong willed (especially when it comes to money) and in the same way Jabba is equally strong willed and not easily tricked.

The problem with invoking differing psychologies and physiologies is that assumes all Jedi are similar, so far we've not seen any Toydarian Jedi but that's not to say they don't exist. If they do then surely their mind tricks would work on other Toydarians if the physiology/psychology idea were true.

7. itsfrankman

itsfrankman Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2003
    ummm 6-6-6?? sorry to burst your bubble but that theory is incorrect. Luke used it on Bib Fourtuna who is non human. "You will bring me to Jabba now." "You serve your master well." remember that?? guess you need to watch that one more time.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Twi'leks are closer to humans than Hutts are, though.

9. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    My fave power's always been the Jedi mindtrick.

I do think the phisiology theory mentioned by 6-6-6 has everything to do with it, in fact I read somewhere (The Return of the Jedi annotated screenplay-I believe) that the mindtrick works only on creatures whose brains are close enough to the Jedi's and then would have to be weak willed too.
    So that's why it didn't work for Jabba when Luke tried to use the old mindtrick on him.

10. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    Twi'leks are closer to humans than Hutts are, though.

In what way closer? They may have a humanoid shape but they are a separate alien race. They are in no way closer or more distant from humans than Hutts are. We don't want any of that Star Trek nonsense about alien species being seeded from a single source.

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I never said that Twi'leks and humans had common ancestry, but rather they are closer in form and appearance to humans than Hutts are. Twi'leks would therefore have more human-like minds than Hutts would.

12. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    I never said that Twi'leks and humans had common ancestry, but rather they are closer in form and appearance to humans than Hutts are. Twi'leks would therefore have more human-like minds than Hutts would.

If they don't have any common ancestry then their similar appearances are no indication of mental similarity.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    A passage from I, Jedi disagrees with you. I don't have the book handy to post the exact quote, but it implies that Twi'leks have more human-like thought patterns than Hutts do. In that scene, I believe Luke was telling Corran about how sometimes the Jedi mind trick works and sometimes it doesn't.

14. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    I never sadi they didn't have similar mental makeups just that similarity in appearence is no indication since tehy aren't related.

I still think that some species being less inclined to "weak mindedness" is a better explanation than similarities in physilogy/psychology it fits with what we know from the movies.

"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded" not "The Force can have a strong influence but only on species with similar mental processes to your own"

And as Watto says "Mind tricks don't work on me only money" he doesn't say "Mind tricks don't work on me I have a very different physiology from yours"

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I'm simply saying it's easier for humanoid Jedi to affect other humanoids.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It's not a bad theory, but I don't buy it - I agree that the emphasis on weak-minded tells the whole story.

Watto's comment made it seem like his race in particular was resistant to Mind Tricks, but mostly because of their inherent "greed" (remember Qui-Gon's comment about the power of greed).

And Jabba I always assumed had an incredibly strong will - why? Because he essentially controlled Tatooine, and it obviously wasn't because of physical prowess that he was the Big Boss.

What about Anakin's calming of the Reek? I would call that a use of the Jedi Mind Trick on a non-sentient lifeform.

17. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm simply saying it's easier for humanoid Jedi to affect other humanoids.

But why should that be the case. There is no reason unrelated humanoids should have similar mental makeups. At least the 'weak-minded' idea has some evidence from the films

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.