main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Force Sensitive Hutts: Why so rare?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    The only FS Hutt I can think of is Beldorian, and I don't remember him being to much of a big deal, considering Leia defeated him back in the day.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There was another just recently, but I don't want to spoil it. Beyond that...

1) for all their influence, I don't know that Hutts are all that numerous, compared to most "major" species.
    2) they're hardly keen on Jedi showing up and stealing away their slugs, so there could be plenty that just never got trained. Early signs of Force power in younglings might even be hidden or, well, eliminated.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's mostly because they're so fat that they need an abnormal amount of midichlorians just to achieve the same density as a mediocre Jedi, and midis are just not that easy to come by...

AirNeeva and Zorrixor like this.
  4. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Force sensitives at all are really rare. There are 100 quadrillion sentient beings in the Star Wars galaxy, living on hundreds of millions of planets. Then we have 10,000 Jedi, a few thousand Sith and millions of other force sensitives, not much compared to the galactic population.

Some species are force sensitive at all, every single member of them can use the Force. Besides, Humans may have the highest Force potential, because many Jedi and Sith (more percent than in the entire galactic population) were Humans.

Why force sensitve Hutts are rare, no guess.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Don't get me started.

cdgodin and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    While it's not clear precisely how many Hutts live on the major Hutt worlds deep in Hutt space that outsiders never see, Hutts certainly aren't that numerous over time in terms of galactic history. Hutts have a thousand year lifespan, easily ten times that of humans. So a Hutt generation is on the order of 250 years instead of 25 for humans. So even in a situation where you had two populations that maintained the same constant size, over 25,000 years you'd churn through a heck of a lot more humans than you would Hutts.

It is also probable that Hutts curb their reproductive rate further, because they see other Hutts mostly as competitors and because they prefer to be cared for by large groups of slaves - which are of limited number.

It is possible that Force sensitivity could be less prevalent among Hutts than among humans, there's no real reason why this should be so, but there is certainly a natural range across species and maybe the Hutts just got on the low end.

It is quite true that Hutts are unlikely to become Jedi - Hutt Space is not properly part of the Republic, and the Jedi have no right to recruit there. The Hutts don't appear to have their own Force tradition either, which actually makes sense, given their competitive natures a Force-sensitive Hutt who did develop some abilities would not be inclined to share them with his/her rivals.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Quite frankly I think they're just too damn smart to enter that brouhaha the Jedi and Sith have been waging. Life's too long to waste on such petty issues.

cdgodin, Cronal and CT-867-5309 like this.
  8. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    My harebrained personal canon says that Hutt force sensitives show up just as often as others, but they're smart enough to realize that supernatural powers are overrated and just let them atrophy.

Why would anyone run around the galaxy throwing yourself in danger in a pursuit of power when you can sit back order underlings to make you money while you sit on your butt, eating and feeding people to wild animals. Leave the holocron-chasing to dumb humanoids who don't know any better.

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    why do people insist on making a jedi/sith out of every species? hutt jedi/sith is just stupid. they can barely even move. they would make the worst force user's ever. what's next a force sensitive kowakian monkey lizard?

10. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    OOU: because Jabba was immune to Luke's Force suggestion in RotJ, and some people apparently took that to mean that Hutts can't touch the Force.

11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Wasn't there some declaration from Lucas that there couldn't be anymore Wookiee Jedi, which led to Lowbacca receiving less page time? Maybe its a similar case with Hutt Jedi.

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That ban is long over, if recent Clone Wars episodes are anything to go by. And we have at least 2 Hutt Force users, which is 1 more than a number of species, and 2 more than many, many other species.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They actually explained that by Hutts having such utterly alien brain structure (there was one who had half his head eaten and was still as smart as usual, so they might actually have all their vital organs spread throughout the body, including the brain) and being unusually strong willed.

Shouldn’t those grow proportionately along with the Hutt? ;) After all they start out pretty small.

Nal Hutta alone apparently has some 3 Billion Hutts on it.

They do, apparently most Hutts only have one child in all their life, raising them up to inherit his ancestor’s position and wealth.

They certainly have a brain in a jar beat in movement ^^ and they can still be very powerful force users none the less. :)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Picaroon_C._Boodle :p

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Most Hutts will probably ignore their Force powers or hide them and practice them in secret.
    Hutts make others do their bidding, so why would they ever have to use Force powers?

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Game balance. Hutts already have glory and majesty - if they had the force it wouldn't be fair at all!

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I have no problem with the idea that the rate of Force-sensitives is different for each species.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    With how long individual Hutts live, I actually wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed correct.

If you're a 600 year old, selfish, egotistical Hutt kingpin, you don't want to risk some upstart Force-wielding n00b taking over the clans and becoming the new ruler of all of Hutt Space for the next thousand years.

Best to eliminate potential rivals before they have the chance.

DarthJenari and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Indeed? (Haven't been keeping up with that show at all. Only full season I saw was the first)

Well it's probably just a racial thing. As others have said the Hutt's basically compete with each other to see who's going to be on top. Palpatine himself once said that a random force user on any planet could make himself a king (Paraphrased). The hutts are all genre savvy enough to realize this and make sure it doesn't happen.

19. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    i was saying that semi-sarcastically. mostly because i knew someone would find one...

20. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    http://www.free-midi.org/ found them...

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Hutts can move if they choose to, and there has already been a dark Jedi monkey lizard.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    This. "Some people" were West End Games, who in Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races established that their resistance to the Force meant they couldn't be Force-sensitive outright. Later, Planet of Twilight introduced Beldorion and put an end to that particular idea, but Hutt Force-sensitives remain rare.

Legs not make one great. Judge me by my sluggishness, do you? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Even better.

23. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    *insert cliche empire strikes back father reveal scene quote here*

24. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Waru hoarded and unfair share of force imbued slime.