main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force Shield - FX Test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by BrentK7, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Here is my little test of a Force encarnated force field of some kind.

Made in After Effects.

On2 Video Codec ~1.04 MB
    Right-Click Save Target As
    forceshield_01.mov

2. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Hehe... cool :)

~DK~

3. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    hat to tell ya man, but it looks pretty tacky.
    i'd try a less square shape, mor like its curving around you sort of... maybe a blue color and less jagged edges.
    just suggestions, i couldn't do that so i commend you on it.

4. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    althegreat: yeah I thought about a round shape when I was half way through it, but i added the noise, doesn't that count for anything, hehe. Anyway it was just a test to see if I could track my hand and make it rotate the way it was supposed to.

5. Ryusui

Ryusui Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Wow. Nice. Definately...different.
    Hope you don't take this as criticism so much as positive suggesting (after all, my post skills aren't that good yet so I don't feel I have the right to criticize)...what if you just had the field appear when something came and hit it? For instance, a blaster bolt comes forth and when the Jedi sticks his hand forth, it sprays into a field of energy that sort of ripples out ward. From his hand, it extends and then disappears in the same direction?
    Just my own thought, but great work none the less!

6. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    Ryusui: Lets have it despense popcorn too!!!

No just kidding man

Thanks for the reply.

7. cylyk

cylyk Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    I like it a lot!! I have no idea how you did that......

8. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Care to share with the group on how you did it? ;)

9. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, I like it too....

Maybe combining your ideas would look even cooler... have a "semi" shield up there, that turns more opaque when struck?

Other than that, that is fantastic...

Indy

10. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    Indigo_Jade: thanks man

webwiz03: My website (link in my signature below) has a basic "how i did it" thingy. Just look under the Finished Projects section on the home screen and click on "Force Shield (fx test)". If you or anyone else has any questions feel free to PM me.

11. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Outstanding.

Perhaps make the flare morph into the shield. Alas, it still looks awesome.

Looks like something out of the Minority Report trailers where Cruise throws the images around on the screen with his hands.

Great job on the effect.

12. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    Thanks Cougar

13. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Very cool! Although maybe when it turns to the side it could have a bit of luminosity (dunno if thats the term to use but it should have a bit of an aura about it) so as not to look like a perspex sheet.

I thought it was cool tho.

14. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Cool stuff, as always ;)

15. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, sry if someone mentioned this but, I'm to lazy to read all of it. :D Anyway, I think I have a good idea on how to make it look. (I think)

Ok, the Jedi has a lightsabre and he is blocking blaster bolts, and they are coming in at every direction. But he can't get his lightsabre to the other side in tiem so he put his hand out, to his side, and you see a blaster bolt come in the screen. Then the bolt hits is hand but then a blue or pink purple do whatever colour ya want. But it then the shield becomes visable for a few seconds. And it is in the shape of a oval. Not an EXTREME oval but a slight one, and the disruption goes up towards the top and the bottom and a litte towards the sides. Then after about 2 sec of that. the shield becomes invisable again. and he continues to block with his sabre. Good? Bad? Stupid?

So basically don't let us see the shield until the bolt hits. that way it looks a little less like an electrical shield and more. "forcy"

;)
    Kyle

16. t-toe

t-toe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Yo, just checked out your site... I must ask you... how old are you, man? Because in your videos you definately look like you're in your later years of high school (or so), yet you already know how to do all this cool stuff. I couldn't do half the stuff you are doing in these tests, and couldn't model to save my life back when I was in high school (almost 4 years ago).

Anyway, just curious. ^_^

--t.toe

17. Ryusui

Ryusui Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Fremen, basically what I said...
    Only said better. :p

18. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    t-toe: I am 18, and I just graduated from high school. I basically know all this stuff 'cause I read the books. And I look for tutorials on anything I can find.

Werd

19. althegreat

May 22, 2002
    ok, i know this has almost nottin to do with this thread, but what exactly is After Effects?
    for the few test clips ive done ive used the trial of premier and Photoshop 3.0.
    Is AE basically like premier except with rotoscoping and 3D modelling cabability or what?
    not that i really have the cash, but it'd be good to know.

20. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    After Effects is the chosen one, they can all see it, why can't you :p

It's great for bluescreening, compositing, lightsabres, opening crawls, animated masks, etc. I use after effects all of the time. It's like Photoshop for moving images. Check out this page for more information.

21. althegreat

May 22, 2002
    Bring balance it will, for the good, or for the better?

Does it do the same stuff as Premier though?
    (timelineing,import/export/inserting,rearragning sound and video clips)

22. Shadow-of-the-sith

Shadow-of-the-sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    WOAH...amazing it looks cool:)

23. Jedi Chimi

Jedi Chimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2000
    They have an effect like this similar in the show Roswell that one of the aliens uses. Might want to check out an episode or two to see how they do it. Looks good in the show.

24. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Does it do the same stuff as Premier though?

Not really. Premiere is basically an editing programme. After Effects is basically an effects/compositing programme. You create your effects/shots in After Effects, and then stick them all together in Premiere. (This is a very broad brush explanation of events BTW)

25. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    Erm. Not to poke a hole in anyones' bubble, but it seems like most people are looking forward to using a force shield to block blaster bolts. Why not just do what Vader did on Cloud City and stop/absorb it with his hand?

On a side note (depends on whether or not you treat the books as canon), there is a Force specialty mentioned in Michael Stackpole's _I, Jedi_ that allows a Jedi to absorb and use energy. Supposedly that's what Vader used to absorb Han's blaster bolt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.