main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Force Speed' whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by J_Gonn_Jinn, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Gonn_Jinn

J_Gonn_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    Here is something that bugs me every time I watch TPM and I always forget to mention it

At the Start when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are faced by the Droidekas, they run away, and u can clearly see them do some kind of 'force speed' not just a normal run

Yet at the end of the movie, Obi Wan is running towards the 'laser doors' at a regular pace

Why didnt he use the force to run faster like he clearly did earlier in the film

The same could be said for many instances in the PT, e.g Anakin running to Mace arresting Palpatine

Im not into the EU per se, but I have played the KOTOR games, and u can do force run or force speed on there, although I know this cant be used with regards to the films

Anyway if anyone knows the answer to this would be much obliged!

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Strilo edit: Not needed.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    By the time Obi-Wan was running for those doors in the Duel, he had been fighting a Sith Lord for a long time, done multiple leaps and flips and been knocked like 100 feet down into the shaft, barely hanging on for his life. After making the huge force leap up to the platform, he was tired enough to not be able to do the Force run.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The deal is that it's taxing using the Force. Obi-wan needed all his stamina to fight and he couldn't risk blowing it on Force speed. Especially since he could make a mistake and mistime his run. That would not be a wise thing to do.

5. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, after playing the Jedi Knight series and whatnot, I always think "well why not just do this?". The only thing that I can think of is when dealing with a Sith Lord or a dark force user, they would probably anticipate those things and compensate for them anyway. But in hindsight it's all Monday Morning Quarterbacking. No matter what was done, we could say "well he should have done that".

6. J_Gonn_Jinn

Oct 25, 2005
    Yeah I see your point about being tired, just something ive always wondered

I guess also it would get a bit tiresome for the viewer if every time a jedi moved they did it at super speed

7. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Yah, like Ventress. She does that a lot.

8. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    One thing is that he probably was exhausted. Another thing is that he could probably not perform force speed there because he could end up running into the Force fields or into the chasm falling down or maybe straight into Maul's lightsaber.
    I don't know why noone else uses force speed, but it could be because it's too exhausting and lacks control and timing.

9. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
  10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    LMAO that's awesome.

11. J_Gonn_Jinn

Oct 25, 2005
    ooooooohhh so thats why!!

answers my question nicely!

12. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    [face_laugh] That was hilarious!

Well, now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Yo Joe!

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    ....Well. That certainly makes a strong case for no running in the halls [face_laugh]

14. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I cant count how many times ive done that in jedi academy... and thats the sfx as well! [face_laugh]

15. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    thank you for the footage. that was sweet. haha who knows maybe that IS why he didn't do it. After all we didn't see how long it took qui gon and obi wan to slow down after they did the force run thing.

16. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Let me throw out a wild theory RE: Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul.

There didn't seem to be a necessary pattern to when the doorswould open or close. Perhaps the Jedi couldn't sense when they would close.

Running = Sublight Drives
    Force Speed = Hyperspace

Force Speed through may end up you bouncing too close to an energy shield. ;)

Carnage

17. -Jeb-

-Jeb- Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2006
    I've seen this video over and over like 30 times. Genius. [face_laugh]

18. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    Oh my god oh my god that was soooooooo awesome.(still laughing)

19. P_Nizzle1231

P_Nizzle1231 Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2006
    maybe he was tired.. or didnt want to run into something like a lightsaber ..... it was a long battle between the 3 and alos he was fighting to get into the city.. so maybe he didnt want to waste force energy on runing when he needed for power in the duel... who know but lucas

20. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
  21. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
  22. Volturedroid

Volturedroid Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2006
    Also in ESB Luke jump from the freezing chamber with similar speed that Obi and Jinn did run. It seems to take a lot of energy to peform this and that's why we don't see it very often.

23. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

I agree. I have always thought that was a frustrating scene. It was unnecessary to include the force run.

24. 3_Foot_Jedi

3_Foot_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    I have often wondered about this, but came to the conclusion that it is not really a sprint but more of a dodge. A quick bust of the force like a force jump which will just get out out of the way (like out of the way of Destroyer Droids guns) but can't be used to keep moving at that speed.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    It kind of reminds me of how Road Runner is always a foot or two ahead of Coyote. And when he really needs to kick it into high gear, he goes with Force Speed which propels him at a high rate and leaves a puff of smoke. But it expels a great bit of energy to use that power and so more bird seed is needed. For the Jedi, it's time to refresh and gain back your energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.