main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force Speed

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Aron_Tylander, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    I watch TPM again and I noticed something I have not seen before. It is in the beginning scenes, where the TF tried to kill Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. When the droidekas came and Qui-Gon told Obi that they cannot defeat the destroyers, as soon the droids fired, they immediately vanished, as if they somewhat sped up. Then on the next scne we barely see them, and they were already far away from the droids. Did the two Jedis just use Force speed in the movie?

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I believe that's correct, though it's been a while since I watched TPM. However I'm fairly sure it's corroborated in other material, and I do have a strong memory that that's what goes on.

-Paul

3. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes.

Actually, I think it mentions this "Force speed" in the novel. I remember seeing Anakin use it in Clone Wars to climb up a long staircase. Boy, could I use that! :) I think it must use up a lot of energy to do 'cause I'm thinking at the end of the movie when Obi-Wan is running after Maul and Qui-Gon--and twirling his lightsabre while doing so--he's not running any faster than normal. If I were Obi-Wan, I'd be kicking myself into next week for not putting on that extra burst of speed. I don't understand why Lucas had them do that at the beginning of the movie and then not use it at the end. Strange.

julianzolo likes this.
  4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'd say it just has to do with the difficulty of thinking well under pressure. When big mean droids you can't beat are coming at you, your impulse is to run, and you'll do that to the best of your abilities -- in the Jedi's case, with the Force as aid. But it's not the same kind of gut reaction to run toward a guy who's swinging a laser sword around. Obi-Wan's tired and rattled from the fight. I generally tend to believe Jedi oughtn't rely on the Force when it's not necessary, and that they're probably taught this; in this case, it backfired, because Obi-Wan's unthinking instinct was to run full-out like a normal person and not pour on the Force. Conservation of energy, perhaps, but maybe also just habit. By the time he realizes, it's already too late, and there's a laser gate between him and Qui-Gon.

It's easy to make this kind of unthinking snap decision and not even realize you've made it until it's too late.

-Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.