main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Force Speed

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -NaTaLie-, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    You presented it as a fact. You can't speak for anyone else other than yourself.

------

I see this all the time on the boards,

would it help if everyone put a disclaimer in their sig "oh by the way my above post is opinion unless i back it up with statistics and links"?

of course it's a persons opinion why must everyone put "in my opinion" after every post ?

great philosophers don't pitch their conclusions with:

"so in conclusion to be is to be percieved!!!

*quiet cough* uhhm, yeah well that's my opinion anyway *slinks away*

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  2. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    In this video it can clearly be seen that Obi-Wan is pressing the attack and taking it directly to him. There is no sign of fatigue as Obi-Wan is going toe to toe with him. Obi Wan is sweating a little bit but that did not stop him from snapping Mauls saber in half or chasing him around that chamber or flipping over him and slicing him in half at the end. The way Obi-Wan handles this fight he is in complete Control and control is one of the three main Force senses that Jedi follow. He could see Qui-Gon fighting above him when he jumped to that level he could have at least caught up to them before they got near the beams.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh, maybe he caught his breath during the two breaks he got while caught in between energy barriers. He is breathing heavily while Qui-Gon is meditating and again while Qui-Gon is dueling Maul.

That plus the power of the dark side flowing through him, it's pretty clear Obi-Wan was enraged, just as Luke was in ROTJ.

Lucas wanted Qui-Gon to die while dueling Maul, that's the reason he got separated from Obi-Wan.

4. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    How do we know he is ts tapping into the darkside? All I can see is that he is distraught about his Master. Yet, he still took out Maul.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think it was intentional to show Obi-Wan come out on fire, all hopped up on rage and actual do well against Maul, only for his rage to leave him "unbalanced" and open to attack. It's only when he's hanging on to the ledge does he catch his breath, calm himself and defeat Maul. I think this was an intentional demonstration of the light and dark sides.

Beside that, the dark side was only half of my argument. The other half was that Obi-Wan caught his breath waiting for the energy barriers.

My position in this argument is that Lucas wanted Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to get separated and I support this decision because it resulted in entertainment, regardless of the enormous plot hole caused by Force speed.

6. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012

Is that what the bolded part of your post is doing? Presenting a fact?

I don't think it's necessary to say "IMO" every time we make a statement. I think it's pretty obvious when someone is stating their opinion.

7. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Obi-Wan was twirling his light saber from the first time we see him in Episode One. He appears to be ready to show his light saber skills. He does it a few times in his fight against Darth Maul. I also wonder how good Maul is at this point as Obi-Wan is just a Padawan when he defeats him.

8. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It would help to start speak for themselves, instead of speaking for "anyone" and "everyone".

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Not being so sensitive to such things would be more helpful to you than that.

......imo

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It would be helpful and correct to not speak for others. I wouldn't care if people didn't do that so often. Unfortunately they do, and thus I point that out.

12. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Do you feel this way when you agree with the generalizations, or only when you disagree with them? The more I see this "problem", the majority of the time it's a one way street.

13. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    The Jedi seem to be able to use Telekinesis whenever they feel like it. A fully trained Jedi should be able to use most force powers that do not require extreme concentration quite easily. The only time I ever saw a Jedi struggle with telekinesis was when Luke was trying to pull his light saber from the snow in Hoth. In other words a fully trained Jedi should be able to use most basic Force powers with ease.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The Dark side is always about aggression, and all the duels demonstrate it in some way.

That's why I think the force speed turned out to be a throwaway ability: it's used once and creates a plothole in the same movie it was used.

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    They should make a video of Obi Wan using force speed but it should end with him getting caught by the last laser gate instead of tumbling into Maul's temporary-death bed.

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That's how I explain the scene to myself. You have to be careful with these force fields.. and what's exactly their purpose anyway?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    I always felt that Obi-Wan could have caught up to them before they got to the Force Field because he is looking at them about halfway there before he hops back up to the second level with ease. Another note it can be seen that Obi-Wan is challenging Maul because he is making moves towards him throughout the entire fight. One point is when Obi-Wan makes a a move towards him before the jump across that open space. Obi-Wan is not playing games with Maul there and he is dropping quick strikes on Mauls Saber. Maul looks completely taken by surprise. He is trying to end him. I do not see where he is winded either. As Yoda would say "Destroy the Sith we must"

18. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    Cantina Bassist: Don't look for anything to make sense in the prequels unless you enjoy being disappointed.
    -------
    Alexrd: You presented it as a fact. You can't speak for anyone else other than yourself.
    ------------

I myself thought it was pretty obvious he was stating an opinion,

oh well po-tay-to | po-tahh-to

;)