main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Force Speed

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiWanKnowsMe, Apr 3, 2016.

1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015

We all remember when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan used force sprint to evade the Droidekas at the beginning of TPM. But when was this ever used again? I don't remember seeing it in TCW or in any of the movies. Was this only seen being used once? Any explanation on why it was never seen in the prequels again after the opening scenes of Episode 1?

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Luke speedily jumping out of the Carbon-freezing machine when Vader turns his back for a second is the only other time I know of.
    Vader finds it impressive :p

I don't know why it only has one use in TPM, but I would speculate using it on another force-user would be really hazardous, maybe it is why they never risk it during a duel.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Speed force was a mistake IMO... and it looks naff...

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think George Lucas must have realized this. He didn't include it ever again. Force sprinting would be cool by running fast with long strides(like a ninja) but the how they ran in TPM looked dumb

PaperSkin likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Cryogenic likes this.
  6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It was used again in TCW, but very rarely, and even then it looked a little different.

7. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Because this is what happens if they would use Force Speed again:

Btw, True Sith like your avatar :)

solo77 likes this.
  8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Thanks!

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Wookieepedia makes most things better.

I gave a fairly long explanation of "Jedi Speed" or "Force Dash" -- must dash, toodle-loo! -- on the TPM IMDb board back in 2012. Then I got into a rather windy argument about it.

I can't be bothered to recapitulate it all, right now, but what I said, in essence, is that it's a) a muddy, opaque, one-shot thing, open to interpretation, and b) although one-shot, it clearly echoes Luke getting the jump (quite literally) on Vader in Cloud City (whereas Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan dart or dash laterally, Luke flings himself vertically). So well done to HevyDevy for already mentioning that.

A few further observations building on a) and b) and what I wrote, as mentioned, on IMDb previously:

- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, at the start of TPM, represent the Jedi Order at the peak of its powers, with the first signs of wane beginning to show when we get to Coruscant, where they are thrown into a bit of a muddle with the simultaneous appearance of Anakin and the purported re-emergence of the Sith, and the film seduces the viewer's outer and inner gaze with imagery that progressively hints at their decline. And no ordinary decline, but the "twilight of the gods". Obviously, I'm talking of the Jedi generally, but in this same passage of film, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan also show clear signs of strain, and this "microcosm" is every bit as symbolic as the macro. Before then, however, we get a peek at something different. The first act of TPM affords us a look at a crack team of Jedi who are virtually invulnerable, and the "Force Dash" is a nice tip of the hat in that direction. You know how Lucas rhymes everything, but also never repeats himself? Solitary examples -- discrete happenings -- bring meaning. I mean, you have to apprehend the discrete, before you can comprehend the infinite. Here is how this resolves: You could also read their teamwork in this moment as an expression of a symbiotic bond later broken by the Sith. That's what gives it its uniqueness. Note that when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan face down Darth Maul, they are quickly separated, with Obi-Wan slamming hard into a platform, while Qui-Gon seems to increase his attack on Maul as if he believes Obi-Wan might be seriously hurt or even dead. TPM is the prologue; and everything pre-Anakin is the prologue of the prologue.

So this is Answer One: The dash maneuver is only used once because the re-appearance of the Sith taints and traduces the Jedi's taken-for-granted strength in the Force and degrades the symbiotic bonds and metaphysical expressions of harmony between interdependent Jedi pairings like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. This is expressed symbolically when Obi-Wan falls away from Qui-Gon in the reactor room and struggles to catch back up to his taxed master. Tautologically, this is the answer: Obi-Wan can't do it because he can't do it. But I hope you have a feel for how this also extends beyond TPM to the other films (until Luke seems to tap back into this side of the Force again).

- Of course, I said above that the Jedi are "virtually" invulnerable, not completely ("No one can kill a Jedi!"; "I wish that were so"). We know that a classic Jedi way out of a tight situation is to use feints and sleight-of-hand, as epitomized in the Jedi Mind Trick. Indeed, Nute and Rune seem especially freaked out because of the Jedi's formidable reputation in ways that seem to extend beyond the physical. Yet these Destroyer Droids do, indeed, present the Jedi with a tough physical challenge, putting them in deadlock on the level of raw kinetic prowess. If the Jedi can't parry their way out of danger, or a stalemate scenario, what are they to do? Well, they could always trick the droids' simple programming, using the Force in an evasive way to fool them into thinking they've slinked off at great speed. The maze-like environment they encounter and run away from the droidekas in (suggesting distortions in perception) lends some support to this more esoteric reading. Further backing this up is that Luke gets out of the freezing pit while Vader, a half-droid man, is distracted; and, as his reaction discloses, Vader is taken by surprise and obviously underestimated Luke's abilities, much as robots built primarily for destruction might have a dim comprehension of the full repertoire of tricks available to well-paired Force-endowed warrior-mystics.

This is Answer Two: The Jedi trick the droidekas (dumb robots) and only appear to zoom away. Indeed, if you check the shot of Nute and Rune watching the droidekas pursuing the Jedi on the security recording, the Jedi appear closer to the droidekas than a moment ago (when the camera gave us more the droidekas' point-of-view), and the Jedi are shown disappearing into a piece of the scenery -- a ventilation shaft -- at normal speed without any blur effect. Checking the recording for a "second" view is actually key. Obi-Wan (in AOTC): "Let's check the security recordings."

- Alright, this is a direct quote: "(A) thing about Star Wars is that you're only ever getting half the story; or fractionally less than that. Very extreme things are presented for a viewer's eye, to delight, perplex, distract, engage, torment." What I meant by this is that the series tends toward abstraction, by design, and doesn't let you in on the "full" story. As I continued back then: "It is like peering into an old manuscript when we only half-understand the language; or half-discern the writing. Alien codes and symbols. Things that seem vaguely familiar yet are anything but. Unwritten rules and unexplained rituals." Just consider how in TPM we come in at the end of Anakin's testing scene with the Jedi Council. Or the laser gates that flick on and off at random intervals. Or the inner workings of the Galactic Senate. Or the japor snippet. Gungan society, Jar Jar, the acting styles. Everything.

This is Answer Three: In an answer that both synthesizes and obviates the preceding answers, you have to arrive at the conclusion that there is no "real" answer, but that it is possible to infer certain things and project an answer back onto the films that "completes" the circle. This answer might seem less satisfying because it isn't as concrete, but that's what I like about it. It encourages further readings. For instance, while in the grip of a Jedi Mind Trick, Boss Nass says the Gungan Council will "speed" the Jedi away, as if Qui-Gon has implanted a sensation of speed in Nass' mind, suggesting another manifestation of this speeding phenomenon that Qui-Gon only recently used in conjunction with his apprentice. And it's weirder still when you notice that Qui-Gon bets on Anakin in a high-speed race and seems to be willing him to win ("The Will of the Force"?). Does Qui-Gon drain this speed-trick power from the universe, betting his own life, and a piece of the Force, on this one remarkable find?

T - P - M

Totipotent.
    Pluripotent.
    Multipotent.

It's... cellular.

"They live inside me?"
    "Inside your cells, yes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_potency

So many threes in TPM! << see? ;)

Further reading:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/hidden-meaning-in-star-wars.50019900/#post-51487888

Note: By analogy with cell potency, the answers above should be read backward (i.e., the third answer correlates to the "totipotent" stage, the second answer to the "pluri-" stage (which is true both backwards and forwards), and the first answer to the "multi-" stage; in terms of how "specialized" each answer is).

An admixture of the answers potentially gives you something close to an airtight explanation. I hope I say that with a "dash" of self-awareness.

Though I leave the reader to decide how parsimonious of an explanation it is. :p

*dashes away before he is found, crushed, ground into tiny pieces, and blasted into oblivion*