main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force Weather?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Azure_Angel, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azure_Angel

Azure_Angel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2006
    I dont really know where to ask this so please forgive me if it dosent quite fit here.
    I was wondering wether Jedi had any power over the weather? I know some can controll elements to a degree, but can they say make it thunder, lightning, adn rain off of a whim?
    ~Azure_Angel

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Streen, from the Jedi Academy trilogy used his powers in such a manner. Kyp Durron called down lightning from a storm in Jedi Academy: Leviathan (though IIRC he was just using a technique he learned from Streen.)

3. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    Palpatine's Force Storm.

4. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I would like to think they avoid awarding force users this much power. Sidious, possibly the strongest Sith Lord we know of, had to build the Death Star to blow up planets. If you had enough power to cause extreme weather conditions, I think it would be much less expensive to shuttle over to an offending planet and let their important areas have it with a Hurricane, Tsunami, Ice Storm, or some other type of unnatural natural disaster.

Carnage

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I suppose it depends on the end goal. The Death Star inspired terror much more so achieved the aims of the Tarkin Doctrine better. I guess it also depends on whether Palpatine had intended to build a fleet of Death Stars eventually rather than just the one.

Plus, if you buy into the whole "Palpatine was building the galaxy up to fight the Vong" thing then the Death Stars would have come in handy for blowing up worldships.

6. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    IIRC, Streen wasn't actually manipulating the weather. The scene was written from Leia's POV and IIRC she thought something to the effect of:
    "I've never heard of a Jedi controlling the weather. He's probably just manipulating individual air molecules or sending shockwaves in circles to give the illusion of an indoor tornado."

If someone who actually owns the JAT and didn't just check it out from the library at least a year ago could get an exact quote, that'd be great.

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>"I've never heard of a Jedi controlling the weather. He's probably just manipulating individual air molecules or sending shockwaves in circles to give the illusion of an indoor tornado." <<<

Yes, he doesn't exactly control it, but he can use his powers to create his own. He can bring about wind and lightning (and possibly rain? I forget), which is close enough to the real thing.

But its not like he's some crazy mutant or something. ;) :p

8. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    There is a Jedi Master in NEC that creates a Force Storm over a planet to destroy CIS forces. He died right after though. Not too sure on the details though.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I was actually thinking that Streen and Storm sound quite similar.

10. Astral_Bug

Astral_Bug Jedi Master star 1

Sep 19, 2005
    In Courtship of Princess Leia Luke has a vision of Dathomiri witches generating Force-storm iirc. It's just a vision/dream though.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, they did it. It was a dust storm or something. Basically, there might not be a "Force Hurricane" power, but you can push the air around and create a hurricane effect, or if you're scientifically minded, you could try to find a way to tamper with ocean warmth and wind currents and whatnot and create an actual, self-sustaining hurricane. It just requires a lot of control.

12. phantasm66

phantasm66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2000
    The force can do anything - the only difference is whether or not an individual has the control to make it happen.

13. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    He probably didn't have to, but it wouldn't really be fantastic PR if the citizens of the galaxy found out that Palpatine was capable of doing that stuff all by his shrivelly gray self.

14. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Didn't Plo Koon have some sort of degree of control over weather? I seem to remember seeing something about him and lightning....

15. saber_death

saber_death Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    i'm pretty sure any member of the Skywalker family could do some cool stuff with the weather if they were so inclined. after all, just gather existing clouds and compress/seed them, and rain will likely form. telekinetically move the air and it'll act like wind. force lightning into clouds will make them charged, causing them to give off lightning of their own.

it would take alot of concentration and effort, and not do much good other than look cool. it's too tedious and slow to do safely for battle, and too much effort and danger to do for meditiation.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Plett reputed could weather his way too. You know, that snake headed Ho'Din.

17. Ataro_Soresu

Ataro_Soresu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2006
    Plo Koon was the master of the elements...New Essential Guide to Characters says he can manipulate the environment to create fog or ice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.