main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Forcefest 4 Drumheller June 15-18

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by liannb, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    We need to pick a date for the annual camping trip to be held in Drumheller this year. Some people need to get their holiday requests in right away.

Do we want to attempt a long weekend or should we just forget about it as it would be too busy? looking at the calender we might want to forget about August with the long weekend and conversion and dragoncon its kinda busy already. that leaves june or july

edit: we've picked the weekend of June 15-18

2. MADKAU

MADKAU Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2006
    I won't know for some time what my summer looks like (new job and all). But I will do my best to be there!

3. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Hopefully you can make it :)

i think they all look pretty good for me so far June 22 and July 27 might be a little iffy just due to work.

4. Domino_Leia

Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2005
    I will look in my planner when I get home to double check but I think most dates are good for me, just gotta put my vacation request in. The tournament and feast was held on July 8 last year, so we gotta remember that's in July as well. Not sure if this is the date they shoot for every year or what, but just something to note. :)

5. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    We have to think about transportation as well, we don't have enough vehicles. I looked into renting a passenger van and we all just take that but its over $700

6. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Actually, June 22 looks good to me too. I'm thinking it's late enough to at least hope for good weather, and there shouldn't be crowds yet. It's early enough to not interfear with any camps Kit might be going to. The only thing I'm worried about is exams might be that week. I'll check.

I got a campground guide today and found a couple potentials. The group site camping at Dinosaur Prov. Park looks promising but as it's not close to town we have to decide what activities we want to do before booking any sites. I've ordered info guides on the area but if everyone could give the drumheller web site, that would be helpful.

Liann and I were talking and because of the transportation/driver shortage in the group we're going to look into renting a passenger van. I think it would be both more convienient and fun if we can get all of us and our gear into one vehicle (that wasn't a focus :p).

7. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    a mini van that seats 7 might be more ideal, at least price wise its under $300 but theres the matter of where all our stuff will go :p

8. SHAAK_GG

SHAAK_GG Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2005
    Between June 15 June 22 sounds like the best date. After that, Drumheller will probably be packed full of people.

Here is my post from the meeting thread with some good info to have ready when we get to that:

Hoodoos, which you can hike through.

Reptile World, the largest collection of living reptiles in Alberta.

Aquaplex Swimming Pools, they have a giant slide, indoor and outdoor pool.

Worlds Largest Dinosaur, climb 106 steps to the top!

Various Dinosaur Shops, one has a museum in it and another sells fossils and replicas. But that was years ago, might not even be there anymore.

Here is a link to info on campsites in Drumheller:

http://www.drumhellerlodging.worldweb.com/Campgrounds/

9. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Thanks Jarrett, let's deputize you as activities scout. Can you look into non-dino related stuff too, like hiking, swiming, ect?

I'm finding that the minivan looks like the best idea too. Mini vans have such lousy cargo areas though and the SUVs that seat 7 have two people taking some cargo area. That's what we had in LA and it was great for day trips, but not camping and there were only 4 adults and 2 kids. Trailer or roof rack?

10. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    What about a U-Haul trailer or something like that? And yah, we also have the roof.

11. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Cool, I can do that! I will get distracted easily by Dinosaur stuff though. ;)

My mom said she might take me down, but it is still way to early to know.

12. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    My schedule is wide open for June. June 22 looks great. :)

13. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    My holiday time is booked in april but I'll see if I can awitch some of it once we nail down a date
    I might take the week of my birthday off

14. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    lol i actually said the 22nd is not so good for me cause i'm going onto midnights the following week

15. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Hmm, then June 22 should get the axe! These, IMO, are the best dates:

June 8-11
    June 15-18

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    what about the canada day long weekend? what does everyhting think of then, shouldn't be a problem if we're booking from now. thats June 29 - July 2

17. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    Sounds good to me. :)

18. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Has anyone inquired about cabin prices?

19. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    There's one available for about $170 a night for eight people. So that works out to just under $70/person for the cabin.

20. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    we need to settle on a date soon, what about June 15th instead or does canada day long weekend work better?

21. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Between the two, I would say June 15th.

22. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    anybody else?

23. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    I'm good for the 15th as well. :)

24. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    plan whatever days ya want I have no idea with my schedule if I cna get the time off and what not.

25. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I'd rather go before the main summer rush, so the 15th for me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.