main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Forces of Destiny - Episode 9: Newest Recruit Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 1, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ketsu and Sabine, yay!

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    A nice episode. Not necessarily all that memorable, but it's hard to complain over these FOD clips that are only a few minutes long.

3. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I kinda feel like this sort of story could've been done much better as an episode of Rebels, TBH. Ketsu barely gets screen time as it is despite how cool she is. Blood Sisters clearly showed us that she's not so big on helping The Rebellion and is very content with being a bounty hunter, she even says it was her dream. She was even willing to kill Sabine over that job, and would've done so without Chopper interfering.

So really it just leaves this big gap where Ketsu is suddenly not a bounty hunter anymore...so this short must have occurred in the gap between Season 2 and 3 as Sabine still has her season 2 look.

I just wanted more of her, Ketsu is awesome. I mean c'mon she's voiced by Gina Torres :(

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I liked the militaristic take on the Rebel's main theme. Shades of Rogue One in there. Fun episode though, it seemed like the story of a Rebels episode which was cut and made into a short instead, which is fine by me.

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Sooooooo....did they get any food?

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    why else do you think they saved the kid ? [face_devil]

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    *cute voice*

"Thank you!"

This was officially the greatest thing in the world.

8. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Feels sort of like a plot idea from Rebels that was scrapped due to time issues. :)

9. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    THATS NOT A GOOD THING!!!

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Huh? Well it's certainly a good thing that this wasn't a season 4 episode of Rebels. No room for filler like this anymore.

Also, those are the most armoured food crates ever! And are they bolted to the floor or something? The Ghost's lasers should be vaporising them, or at least send them flying. There hasn't been a single episode of FoD that hasn't made me shake my head like this. I know they are for very young children, but if Lucasfilm and Disney want these to be canon, they should be making more of an effort.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Act 1, Scene 1

Scene opens on a factory floor filled with Chinese Animators working on old computers with a visually outdated version of Adobe Flash. They are gagged and chained, with DISNEY taskmasters wipping the stragglers who fall behind with their rigging. Above them, DAVE FILONI, wearing his ceremonial cowboy hat, observes the work.

Enter stage left, KATHLEEN KENNEDY, wearing her executive robes.

KENNEDY: Dave, the focus groups just came in. We have to re-write the episode?

FILONI: What?! Why?

KENNEDY: It looks like kids don't care about realistic physics and comparative blaster powers. And the part where the Stormtroopers are decapitated by flying armored boxes tests poorly with parents.

FILONI: Hmph. Fine.

DAVE FILONI flicks his wrist, prompting the DISNEY taskmasters to confiscate the offending material and incinerate it, powering the computers for another day.

Scene Ends

Blackhole E Snoke

12. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Interesting that Sabine instantly wanted to paint Ketsu’s armor; apparently she sees the whole world as a canvas for her to paint on (even when it’s not wanted). Also, I would've preferred seeing Sabine save the little kid instead of Ketsu.

Ketsu was out of character (which seems to be a constant of this show, but it’s still annoying). “Left-Sabine-for-dead” Ketsu is all of the sudden “I’ll-do-anything-for-a-friend” Ketsu. Mostly this Ketsu doesn’t match up with what we’ve seen at all. I get that these episodes are for young children, and that they’re basically commercials to sell the Forces of Destiny toys, which I’m okay with. What I’m not okay with is that they’re canon. I don’t see why they need to be.

Meeko Ghintee likes this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

I know what you mean. I think the best way to look at the FoD shorts is that they are a child's story telling of a canon event. So if you can imagine the same canon event depicted in a movie, it wouldn't be told in such a child friendly, everybody is happy and having fun, way. FoD is filtered canon.

I like to do the same for the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi sometimes, In my mind I can change them from being people with dwarfism dressed up as children's teddy bears, and into realistic bear like aliens that can bite and claw your face off when angry.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I seem to remember someone working on the show saying that's exactly what it is.

I look at Droids, Ewoks and Clone Wars (micro series) the exact same way (they're all canon to me).

15. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Totally agree with this. I don't know why Rebels bothered introducing Ketsu if they were just gonna give her a 180 degree change in personality.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    This is Forces of Destiny though. If there was a Aurra Sing episode, even she would be kind and friendly.