main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Forces of Destiny: New Animated Shorts Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Totally forgot about the Padme episode! That's what happens when these things are only three minutes long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'll never forget that one, ever. It revolved almost entirely around forks cutlery

Barriss_Coffee, Vthuil and starfish like this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Utensils.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    CollectorsCantina‏ @CollectCantina
    #ForcesOfDestiny UPDATE: next 8 episodes arrive in October and will then be on TV in compilation form. ALL NEW episodes arrive in 2018

YouTube first THEN 2 compilation episodes on TV in Oct followed by all new episodes in 2018. Sorry for the confusion

Ahsoka should be in stores by December!

tori‏@rotshayden
    do you know when Padmé will be out?

Should be the same time as Ahsoka. The Platinum Series Leia will arrive in 2018

Mariela Ortiz‏ @sapphy_hime
    Someone asked for Hera. They pointed out they get asked about it a lot here and at SDCC #ForcesOfDestiny #Hascon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

padme.sky and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Guys I think it's time I break out my Ken doll clothes. It's for a great cause. I've got this sparkle mesh beach shirt and lime green shorts with a little pink stripe down the side... would look great on Kylo. I don't have the beach accessories but that's ok -- I have the supermarket set with the shopping cart and like, a cabbage. Maybe it's a head of lettuce, I could never tell.

It's sort of a bummer his hair's stuck to his head as plastic but Rey has threads. Wonder why they did that. I guess I'll comb Chewie's hair instead, he has "hair" at least.

6. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Screw that. I'm breaking out my KISS Doll outfits
    [​IMG]
    Anakin is going to look so badass with Frehley's platform boots and Leia has had had lots of hair styles, but never the Gene Simmons hair style ... and all it takes is a rubber band. Is putting Rey in Paul Stanley's unitard meant to display manly chest hair inappropriately displaying something else?

Yeah. Those KISS dolls weren't a cheesy cash grab or anything, so I better not claim the Forces of Destiny dolls are all kinds of 70s cheese. Especially Sabine and Chewie.

And it is definitely offensive if you say FoD dolls remind me of
    [​IMG]

I mean the above was meant to look top quality impressive, right?

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    As far as material for kids goes, these still seem underwhelming. There's hardly any "story" there which children could follow. Wouldn't they be better served with a show that has a continuous storyline and characters? I wonder if kids even know all these characters like Ahsoka or Jyn Erso.

8. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I believe the point of these is to be 2-3 minute shorts that can hold the attention of a younger child who maybe isn't ready for rebels or clone wars yet.

Absolutely THRILLED to learn we're getting more episodes in 2018! It looks like the roster of female characters is gonna expand a bit with TLJ, hopefully we'll see some of their stories included as well.

Journey to the Last Jedi spoilers:
    What if we get a story with a young Amilyn and Leia? What if we get an Amylin Doll? Oh the possibilities.[face_batting]

9. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    That's offensive. Don't you realize it is proper for an adult to treat their kids as morons.

Heck. I usually just break out a laser pointer when I babysit my niece.

Fire the SW marketing dept. SW animation with catchy music more than 70% of the 3 to 4 minutes. I've just made Disney more money than Rogue One and TFA combined and cornered the child market.

Daneira and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Even Spongebob Squarepants had recurring storylines and characters. I heard a rumor that it was a huge hit with kids!

Jester J Binks and fett 4 like this.
  11. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Barney had singing. And bad singing at that. But children ate it up.

But yes. Even a simple story line through 3 to 5 short episodes coming out daily isn't that big of an ask. It might even be great for a young child's attention span. You might not be sophisticated at 3 to 5 (or 35), but you aren't lobotomy stupid either. The only excuse is that the episode writers were themselves 3 to 5. If that is the case, the FoD is so inspiring.

12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Xena Duncan ‏ @xenadd
    Oh good, we ARE getting a Kylo Ren #ForcesofDestiny doll before Hera. Isn't that just fantastic. Such positivity.

Xena Duncan ‏ @xenadd 22h22 hours ago
    Replying to @xenadd
    Again: I understand the decision from a marketing pov building up to TLJ, but it flies in the face of the core these of #ForcesofDestiny.

And if they really wanted to push for cross-promotion and tie-ins? Push characters for your show that is entering its final season!

Hey - you know what this mirrors? The Rebels wave of Disney Infinity figures. Hera was held back - she was 'too boring' - and then, well.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think there is also an experimental complement to these straight to YouTube animated shorts. Even if I haven't been thrilled with them (but I thought the Rey ones were pretty good), I appreciate the attempt to try new things.

And who watches these more? Children or SW geeks like us? I'd guess the latter.

For my children (boys, none-SW fans) and one of the friends (girl, heavy Star Wars fan), when I played the video, neither showed much interest.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  14. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Don't see why some fans are getting upset over these little shorts that are basically just segments to highlight a small moment of a SW character. They stressed the intent was not for some Galaxy-changing, big story. Merely to show a small moment that can shape who these characters are. I, a 24 year old male, love them. Will even pick up some of these figures in the future. They look great and the packaging is enticing alone. I'm excited for more of these.

Stymi likes this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I feel that it is a kind of experiment to discover just how cheaply you can make and promote a Star Wars toy line and still make loads of money in sales.

Dr. Steve Brule and Daneira like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Kylo is destined to throw a light saber tantrum in the produce section.

I mean, trying to open those plastic bags, am I right?

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think the problem is that they exist pretty much exclusively to sell toys to girls. At first I thought the premise was cool before they aired, because I thought they'd have plots more along the line of the old Genny Tartakovsky CW shows that were only a couple of minutes long but told memorable stories. Instead, there wasn't much of a plot, and immediately as they began airing we were inundated with the toy ads (including Leia with that Ewok dress). So it's not like a full-blown or well-thought-out show to get girls excited in heroines. It's to get them to buy toys. And sure I want girls to buy SW toys. But they deserve to be respected with a better TV show if you're going to pull that trick.

18. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    But I think we knew from the outset these were designed to sell toys? Those are the cornerstone of this line. I knew going in that these would just be a 2-3 minute advertisement for figures, but that didn't hamper my enjoyment. They aren't really supposed to be something you sit and examine like the movies, shows, or books. They were animated shorts to show off a heroine of Star Wars, and hey accomplished that objective. To compare it to the old CW micro series is unfair. CW told a single story cut up into few minute segments. With FoD, each short is set in a different era and not really telling a singular story. I think fans set themselves up with disappointment by not actually looking at what this would be.

theraphos likes this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If we get a "General Syndulla at the Battle of Endor" story it'll be well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starfish, BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I get an inordinate amount of joy out of "Rey doing scavenging stuff on Jakku" stories so I'm okay with it.

If there's a Kylo Ren doll that means a Kylo Ren Forces of Destiny short and it can't exactly be a flashback, he has to be in Kylo Ren mode. Will it involve some dull days sitting around The Finalizer ripping secrets from the mind of various troopers just to kill some time?

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well unless Kylo Ren is actually female, it will involve Rey.

theraphos likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Which I'm not sure how / what /where they can fill in with Rey and Kylo's interactions in TFA. Was there another interrogation scene? Which may be a bit incongruous with the carefree vibe. Maybe another bit of business in their lightsaber battle that would have happened when we cut to the Poe stuff? Or maybe it'll be The Last Jedi based, because the Rey and Kylo figs are TLJ outfits. (hence one of the 2018 shorts)

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Forces of Destiny should open up its story telling to males. With Luke getting a strong focus as the last Jedi.......again :( He should get his own short pre-TFA. If the show opens the doors to the XY club, it would be great to also see Ben Solo. I'm curious if the ST will give us flashbacks and we see Ben as a good guy. His past self could be presented someday (animation?). So if we ever see a future season of FoD, or a show with a similar premise, seeing him interact with Luke or family would be good to see.

24. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    I would t say that means Kylo will play a pivotal role in a short or even star in one. I think the two were meant for advertising for TLJ. I can see Kylo appearing, but nothing too story shattering. Maybe in a brief glimpse, like a stormtrooper coming up saying "the girl evaded capture again" and showing Kylo reacting. I don't think we'll see a duel in the series between them. Again, I believe the two pack was mainly for TLJ marketing.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    German TV listings reveal 2 new episodes in October.
    https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2017/09/informationen-zwei-neue-folgen-maechte-des-schicksals/
    -"Newest Recruit" (Sabine/Ketsu)
    Newest Recruit is about Sabine convincing Ketsu to join the Rebellion, and was already adapted in "FoD Daring Adventures Vol. 1" in August.

-"The Starfighter Stunt" (Ahsoka/Padmé)
    "The Starfighter Stunt" features Ahsoka teaching Padmé how to fly when they suddenly come under attack.