main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Forces of Destiny: New Animated Shorts Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Gina Moonsong and Blade Squadron?

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This is a brilliant and super-fun way to get additional stories out.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just think if this format proves successful we could get spin off online series that have large original stories broken up into three minute episodes much like Genndy's CW.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Rey's theme!

Darkslayer, Kylun and Taalcon like this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    This is cool, like the 2D animation and like that the shorts will be jumping around different periods. And yeah more Maz.

tatooinesandworm and spicer like this.
  7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I dunno. This is all gender-targeting. Plenty might not care, but I think gender-specific marketing should be a thing of the past. If they were releasing a SW show, specifically for boys people would freak out.

StarWarsFan91 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Very excited for this! Looking forward to the panel tomorrow for more info.

9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    They're not stopping the rest of the products they HAVE been doing. Now they're also going for the "Hey, I would enjoy action dolls" market. Something some kids may have wanted this whole time, but never had available to them. It's not limiting the brand, it's expanding it. Because #StarWarsIsForEveryone . Also, consider that it's also a way of getting some who may be interested in one pre-existing market to begin to take interest in Star Wars - as an entry-point. "Hey, these girls are cool. There's other movies and shows about them too? Cool!" This is wonderful.

10. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

It's interesting how little gender comes up in the official announcement on starwars.com. There's basically no mention of this being pitched at girls.

tatooinesandworm and TheRedBlade like this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Gender-specific products just send a confusing message. Is it wrong for a girl to look up to Luke? What about a boy looking up to Leia? Stuff like this basically tells girls, "These are your characters.", implying that male characters are somehow restricted. It also implies that female characters are restricted to the female audience. A gender-neutral marketing approach would be much more ideal.

12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Very much doubt it's the message.
    [​IMG]
    Look.There's been decades of boy-centric Star Wars toy and media marketing. What could you possibly find wrong with having a line specifically devoted to a formerly neglected market? My daughter loves all of Star Wars. She also loves barbies and dolls. She likes all the characters, but when you ask her her favorites, she'll always go to Hera, Rey, Sabine, and Ahsoka.

When she first heard about Phasma, she LOVED that there was a Girl in Shiny Stormtrooper Armor.

This product isn't for you. That doesn't mean there aren't those this will be amazing for.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Where's my miniseries about LGBT characters? I'm gay and I want to feel represented by heroes, not just by a fat Imperial moff and a purple Hutt who speaks like Truman Capote! :-O

No, I'm just being a troll here. Of, course, I'm glad this new miniseries was announced. Any extra Star Wars venture is always welcome, especially when it comes to expanding the new canon. And diversity is needed.

And BTW I was (and still am) a boy who looked (and still looks) up to Leia. And that's not because I'm gay.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think this concept is great! Count me among those excited to watch it. :D

--Adm. Nick

15. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Probably on the docket for Freeform in 2020, tbh.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What about characters with disabilities?

17. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Meh, not my type of thing but I hope people will have fun with it. It is nice to see a new 2D animated show. Now I don't mind the big focus on the all female cast at the moment, on one condition, if you don't make a short about Yaddle it's going to be one hell of a missed opportunity. Yeah I know I said this show isn't for me but I'll still stick my head in every now and then.

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Vader is pretty disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and TheRedBlade like this.
  19. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Yes. There's been decades of gender-targeting. I say it should stop. Whether marketing to boys or girls, it's still discrimination. Can they not market to both sides? Show looks cool. I just think we would be closer to an idealistic society if we ditched gender-specific products.

20. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    They do. This is one specific product line for a specific demographic. This is not the only Star Wars line. There are many others. I don't think you understand how marketing and brands work.

theraphos, Jedi Ben and TheRedBlade like this.
  21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I know Aphra or Sloane would be asking too much, but a Ventress, Phasma or Pryce short would be great. I'm pretty sure girls like villains too. At least the ones in my family do.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
  23. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

The announcement makes no mention of who it's aimed at, never mentions girls, women, or anything. I mean, it would be reasonable to assume that this all-female-heroine series is intended to appeal to girls - it is pretty obvious that's what they're going for - but that isn't overt in the messaging, and it seems more like they're bending over backwards not to say anything that might be construed as excluding or favouring one gender over another. It's being presented just as a cool show.

24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    On a side note, I hope this series is as over the top as the old clone wars micro series. I want to see Ray jousting from that speeder and Jyn punching squads of stormies out with her bare fists. Stuff like that.

Revanfan1 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    You have an entire ongoing comic centered around one right now. They pretty much confirmed that Aphra likes women in the latest issue.

mnjedi I don't know about that. I think the action sequences were way too over the top for a lot of people's tastes. I think even Lucas when describing TCW that the force abilities in the new program were going to be a little more grounded than they were in the microseries.

Since TCW is canon and the Clone Wars microseries is not I think force abilities and action sequences will fall more in line with TCW and Rebels.