main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Forged Bonds JA UPDATED 9/2/11 (AU Qui-Gon's first apprentice)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The1stJediPrincess, Oct 6, 2010.

1. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you! Glad you like Zac! [:D]

Gkilkenny: Qui-Gon is about to hit rock bottom and hard. o_O Hope you like. Thank you for reading. [:D]

Jade_eyes: Yes, Xanatos is quite the schemer. Kaleb is going to continue to grow more strong and brave, and Zac is along for the ride. ;) Thanks for reading, thought I lost you there. [:D]

Chapter 13: Downfall

Thoran, Kaleb and Zac took great care not to speak of Qui-Gon to Skylar and she never mentioned his name. They all knew how much he hurt her, and all three men were resentful over his callousness. Thoran offered her quiet comfort and a strong presence. She loved him even more because of it. She immersed herself fully into Zac?s training and grew more proud of him every day. Zac was very talented and certainly not the reckless padawan Qui-Gon had portrayed to the Council.

Zac was disheartened from Qui-Gon?s harsh review of him in his official account. Kaleb took it upon himself to bring out the younger boy?s good spirits again. Zac actually enjoyed his time in the archives with Jocasta Nu and he learned a great deal about many of the cultures in the galaxy. His diplomacy and negotiation skills had greatly improved, as he proved during the back to back missions he and Skylar were sent on with Thoran and Kaleb.

Finally, almost a year later, they returned to the Temple on Coruscant for some much needed rest and meditation. Their first night back they went to the busy dining room for dinner. Zac and Kaleb sat catching up with friends they had not seen for the past year and left Thoran and Skylar to do the same.

Alina Anwar was Skylar?s best friend since her days as a ten year old padawan. She sat next to Skylar and leaned over and spoke as if conspiring, ?My padawan and I had a mission with your old master and his padawan.?

Skylar?s heart jumped and she glanced at Thoran, ?really??

Alina saw her friend?s eyes, ?I?m sorry, I did not wish to upset you.?

Skylar gave a small smile, ?It?s alright. I guess I will hear about him from time to time. Part of me still misses him.?

?He asked about you,? Alina told her.

That surprised Skylar, ?what did you tell him??

Alina took a sip of her caf, ?What I felt like saying was; ?why don?t you ask her yourself?? Alas, the ever polite Jedi in me told him you were well and had just finished a successful string of missions. It was my first time working with his padawan. Does that kid think he is the master of the galaxy or what??

?Yes, he does,? Thoran said. ?You didn?t let your padawan work with him alone, did you??

?Force no,? Alina said, shuddering. ?She is only fourteen and was looking at him as if he was the male model for Jedi tunics. He was basking in it of course. I wouldn?t trust him not to take advantage of the situation with an impressionable girl.?

?Smart move,? said Dain Albry, ?I hear Qui-Gon is asking the Council to consider him for his trials already.?

Thoran looked at his friend, ?you can?t be serious. Xanatos is only eighteen.?

?You mean, Xani,? Dain said with a smirk. ?Yes, I know, rather young to be taking his trials if you ask me, considering you, Alina, and I were almost twenty five.?

?And I was twenty two,? Skylar added.

?Only because you were chosen at ten,? Dain told her. ?Fact is; we all had at least twelve years of training. Xani has only had five.? They all smiled at the way Dain said, ?Xani?.

?I can?t imagine sending Kaleb for his trials now,? Thoran said as he shook his head in disbelief. ?He will be a great Knight one day, but he is just not ready.?

?Xanatos could be good,? Dain said, putting his fork down. ?That is, if he finds a way to rid himself of his arrogance. I have worked with them several times. I guess because I do not have an apprentice to be protective of.? It was an unspoken fact that masters with younger padawans did not wish to work with Qui-Gon and Xanatos.

Skylar was looking at he

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

She would bide her time, and watch. She would also help Qui-Gon heal. He would take another padawan. Her heart told her he must.

Hmm...course, based on what we know ensues.

But for Skylar, at that time...that's sort of ignoring the effects on that potential padawan, though to give her the benefit of the doubt, she probably figured WHEN Qui took a padawan, he'd put Xan behind him.

He did - it just took longer than it should.

It's a shame that while Kenobi helped to thaw & heal Qui-Gon's very bruisd heart, it was he who paid a price for the healing, not Qui-Gon.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Xanatos thinks he puts his pants on different from every one else and should be called Your Excellent Excellency apparently :p

I absolutely adored Skylar in this from first to last.

Her compassion and forgiveness and largeheartedness are incredible.

She deserves every sweet thing that has come her way, like Thoran and Zac and Kaleb.

:D

[face_love]
    [face_love]

4. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    It is sad that Qui-Gon could not see past his own feelings and how he has been hurt. He is quick to tell others how to act and think, perhaps he should listen to his own advise.

5. BottledUpInside

BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    This is a wonderful story. I am very much looking forward to reading more of it!

6. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    Wow, I can't believe it has been 6 months since I have updated this story. [face_worried]:rolleyes:

I'm working on the next chapter now, which will be rather long, because I have to catch up to my diary, The Will of the Force.

I should have up tomorrow. Thank you all for reading!

7. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    HI, just found this this morning and have read the first several chapters, but have not caught up yet - have to get to other things right now.

I'm enjoying this..and reading about Skylar and Thoran gives me more of a background for the Qui-Gon diary.

I hope I'll be able to catch it up soon...:)

8. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Haven't quite caught up yet, just read the chapter where Thoran and Skylar got engaged, but I must say I really like this common sense approach to marriage and attachments your version of the Jedi order has...not forbidding it, but allowing it with the caution to beware of obsession and the dark side. Very nice.

I wish GL had approached it this way...Anakin could have gone through the same thing for different reasons. Maybe a Padawan getting involved with a Senator would have been scandal enough or reason enough to hide their relationship or something...anyway, well done! I'm liking this.

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Ok, I have now caught up and I am very glad to read that you are in the process of updating this...I really like this and I look forward to what I assume will be Qui-Gon taking his next victim...er... I mean, Padawan. Poor Obi. I feel for him already.

NOw I have the connection between this and the Qui-Gon diary, and know more about Skylar and her family. The diary is a very fitting companion piece to this story - I look forward to both updates (not to mentions Val's contribution from Obi's POV -

:)

Good stuff...=D=

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love to see a new update with your nice characters

11. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    This is a little shorter then I would have liked. Thank you all for reading. Personal thank yous in the next post...I promise. Hope you all like!

--------

There was never a more stubborn Jedi then Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Much to Skylar?s chagrin, Qui-Gon spent much of his time away from the Temple. In almost three years he had rarely returned to the Temple, preferring a life of back to back missions.

Skylar and Thoran continued training ?their boys? as they affectionately called Kaleb and Zac. Thoran felt Kaleb would be able to take his trials sooner then later. At twenty-one he already had a solid reputation for his abilities.

Zac at seventeen was doing quite well too. He and Kaleb worked very well together. There was a definite mutual respect between the two young men, brothers in arms as well as brothers in their hearts.

One afternoon Skylar and Thoran were watching a sparring match between Kaleb and Zac. The two moved fluidly and easily across the floor.

?You know, I?ve been thinking,? Thoran said not taking his eyes off the two boys.

?What?s that?? Skylar questioned. She then called out a brief direction to Zac, ?watch your left, Zac. If your opponent changes form, you will need to compensate.?

He took Skylar?s hand, ?Well, the boys are older and Kaleb will be ready for his trials soon. I think it?s time for us to consider the child we have talked about and have put off having.?

Skylar looked at him, her mouth open, ?Are?are you serious?? Joy was bursting inside of her.

?Of course I?m serious,? Thoran stated. ?I have wanted to have a child with you since we married, but duty took precedence. I feel now is the right time.? He gave his wife a little half smile, ?That is unless you object.?

Replying with a playful smack, Skylar said, ?Of course I don?t object, Silly. I?m thrilled.? She really was. This would complete everything. The idyllic life she had been living would finally come full circle.

Both Masters then noticed Master Yoda enter the training room. He briefly stopped to watch Kaleb and Zac and then moved on to their masters who stood to greet him.

?Returning day after tomorrow, Qui-Gon is,? Yoda told them.

?I did not know this,? Skylar said feeling elated. She had missed Qui-Gon. She also had a strong feeling that Yoda had ulterior motives.

?Right your instincts are, Skylar.? Yoda told her, his eyes warm and friendly. ?Initiate Obi-Wan Kenobi. Heard of him you have??

Thoran spoke up, ?I instructed him in Galactic History for the brief time I filled in while Master Alad was ill. He is a very bright boy. I have also observed him in the Temple. There is just something so promising about him.?

Yoda agreed, ?Plans for him I have. Qui-Gon will watch him spar when he returns.?

?You want Qui-Gon to take him?? Thoran was appalled. ?Master Yoda, with all due respect, there are other Masters who would jump at the opportunity to train him. In fact I?m surprised he hasn?t been chosen already.?

Yoda remained silent and Skylar spoke up, ?Am I correct when I say there are other masters who are interested in Obi-Wan as a student??

?Correct you are. Ordered them to stay away I have,? Yoda told them, ?Take him Qui-Gon must. Right with the Force it will be. Help him to see this, you will, tell him of my involvement, you will not.?

?Yes, Master Yoda,? Skylar conceded. ?However, you know that my old Master is very stubborn in his ways, this will not be an easy task.?

?Love and trusts you, he does.? Yoda said as he walked away.

The two watched as Yoda hobbled away and turned to one another. Thoran was shaking his head, ?I can?t believe the Council has made Obi-Wan off limits to other masters.?

?Nor can I,? Skylar agreed, not knowing what to make of it. ?We may not understand, however, if Master Yoda feels this strongly, it must be right.?

?I would never be one to cross Master Yoda,? Thoran agreed. ?Yet, I can?t help but have a bad feeling about this. Obi-Wan is bright, gifted, and inquisitive. Not to mention very ki

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    ?Initiate Obi-Wan Kenobi. Heard of him you have??

Thoran spoke up, ?I instructed him in Galactic History for the brief time I filled in while Master Alad was ill. He is a very bright boy. I have also observed him in the Temple. There is just something so promising about him.?

Yoda agreed, ?Plans for him I have. Qui-Gon will watch him spar when he returns.?

?You want Qui-Gon to take him?? Thoran was appalled. ?Master Yoda, with all due respect, there are other Masters who would jump at the opportunity to train him. In fact I?m surprised he hasn?t been chosen already.?

Yoda remained silent and Skylar spoke up, ?Am I correct when I say there are other masters who are interested in Obi-Wan as a student??

?Correct you are. Ordered them to stay away I have,? Yoda told them, ?Take him Qui-Gon must. Right with the Force it will be. Help him to see this, you will, tell him of my involvement, you will not.?

?Yes, Master Yoda,? Skylar conceded. ?However, you know that my old Master is very stubborn in his ways, this will not be an easy task.?

?Love and trusts you, he does.? Yoda said as he walked away.

The two watched as Yoda hobbled away and turned to one another. Thoran was shaking his head, ?I can?t believe the Council has made Obi-Wan off limits to other masters.?

?Nor can I,? Skylar agreed, not knowing what to make of it. ?We may not understand, however, if Master Yoda feels this strongly, it must be right.?

?I would never be one to cross Master Yoda,? Thoran agreed. ?Yet, I can?t help but have a bad feeling about this. Obi-Wan is bright, gifted, and inquisitive. Not to mention very kind. Qui-Gon has been cold for so long, I feel there is more of a danger of Obi-Wan warmness fading away then him melting Qui?s icy exterior.?

Well, Thoran might not be right - but no doubt he was correct that Obi-Wan believing no one was ever interested in him and that he all but "guilted" Qui-Gon into taking him played a part in developing Obi-Wan's personality, and not for the better (I'm NOT dissing Obi-Wan!!) Just a darn good thing that the later years were much better than the earlier.

How cute, too, deciding they want to have their own little Jedi. Hmm, wonder if this is a case they throw out Yoda's "Do or do not, there is no try." I'm sure they loved "trying" to have their own kid. ;)

Qui-Gon did not know about the ?Force singing? however, there was something special about the boy. Even he had to admit that.

So, listen to the Force, Qui-Gon. But you'll stick your fingers in your ears, won't you?

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love these manipulations from Yoda and Skylar and Thoran in this.

Nice update

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Wouldn't it be nice if Qui-Gon actually did the right thing and listened to Skylar.

I hate it when Yoda sends Obi-Wan to bandomeer, its not logical to risk such a light in the Force.

Qui-Gon seems true to form.

=D=

15. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Loved how you gave an explanation of why Obi was not approached by other masters...JW may have hinted at it, and Yoda's manipulations were evident in her story (well, the first author's story anyway), but it was never really explained, and it never made sense to me why such a promising student had seemed to have been overlooked by other masters.

Enjoyed this, and I look forward to how you bring them together (Obi and Qui-Gon, that is) as well as Skylar's hopeful pregnancy. :)

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Actually, in JA #1 there weren't other "free" knights/masters to take on apprentices - that's why Qui-Gon was Bruck & Obi-Wan's only possible choice.

Of course, that doesn't mean no one was free to take on a padawan in the year or so before, and I do find it hard to believe there were NO other potential masters.

17. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    yeah, Val, I find that hard to believe also...I've always had a problem with that. I do remember now that you mention it that Qui-Gon was the only available master at the time...really? o_O

I like this explanation better - that Yoda knew Qui-Gon should be Obi's apprentice, therefore he backed off other potential masters...although that does make it a bit harsh not to let Obi in on what's going on so he doesn't feel so rejected. Poor guy doesn't get much of a break any way you look at it, does he?

:(

Yeah, I snuck off from my "real" work to peek in here again...I'm so bad..[face_whistling]

18. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    Valairy_Scot: Thank you for reading! Yes, Qui-Gon has his fingers in his ears and is saying, ?la la la, I don?t hear you.? [face_whistling]

Jade_eyes: Thank you so much for your compliments regarding Skylar. I?m glad you like her so much![face_dancing]

Gkilkenney: Yes, Qui-Gon is having a hard time seeing past his hurt. I have plans for that one. ;)

BottledUpInside: Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy![:D]

obi mom: I?m honored you ?snuck in? to take a peak! Hope you like it.[:D]

Next, thank you thank you thank you for the nominations for Forged Bonds in the Before the Saga awards! I am honored to have NINE nominations! Including Best Original Character Female for Skylar, Best Original Character Male, Thoran and Best Child, Kaleb. [face_dancing] [:D] [face_dancing]

After the tournament, Skylar saw Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon conversing. She could not hear the conversation, but she saw the distressed expression on Obi-Wan?s face. Qui-Gon met the young boy?s desperate eyes with the cold demeanor that had invaded and taken over the compassion Skylar knew so well.

Skylar?s heart almost broke when she saw Obi-Wan drop to one knee, which was both a sign of humility and respect. She saw Obi-Wan?s lips move and even without hearing, knew what he had asked. Then to her absolute dismay, she watched her former master shake his head no. Qui-Gon turned and walked away leaving in his wake a dejected youth alone with his shattered dreams.

Skylar let out a sigh as she went in search for her former Master. This was going to be much harder than she thought. She finally found Qui-Gon in the star map room staring at the star systems as though they held the answers to all that plagued him.

He sensed Skylar?s presence and without even turning around he said, ?I have already heard it from Master Yoda. I do not need to be lectured by you as well, my grown but still very young Padawan.?

?I would not dream of lecturing you, my beloved Master,? Skylar told him serenely. ?I did see you speaking with Obi-Wan after the match.?

?I told him it was better not to train a boy with such anger,? Qui-Gon answered, glad his back was still turned towards her. He was not proud of his words. ?There is a danger a boy with such anger can turn to the dark side.?

Skylar?s hand went to her mouth, ?Master, you didn?t??

Finally Qui-Gon turned to face her, ?I did Skylar. I have told Yoda and now I?m telling you, I will not take him or any other as a student.? His words had a very sharp edge.

?So what happens to him now?? Skylar asked, worried about the gifted boy.

?He will be sent to the Agri-Corps,? Qui-Gon said, expecting Skylar?s wrath in full fury.

?A farmer?? Skylar said, not even attempting to hide the incredulous tone in her voice. ?A boy with such potential sent away? Master, you have finally lost your mind! I am so disappointed in you!?

Qui-Gon did not try to stop her. He knew Skylar was not so much angry with his actions, but saddened. His heart was heavy as well, however, he was determined the boy was not his responsibility and it was the will of the Force. The tiny voice in the back of his head whispered, your wrong.

Skylar entered Master Yoda?s private living quarters and sat cross legged on one of the seats. ?I disagree with you, Master.? Skylar told him truthfully. ?You have a young and impressionable boy feeling unwanted and inadequate.?

?Trust in the Force you must, Skylar.? Yoda replied in his usual enigmatic way. ?Find the way, Qui-Gon will.?

?At the expense at a young boy,? Skylar said firmly but respectfully. ?Can?t you keep him at the Temple, Master? Perhaps open him up to be selected by another teacher??

?Obi-Wan?s teacher, Qui-Gon is meant to be.? Yoda told her. ?Foreseen this I have.?

Feeling frustrated with both Qui-Gon and Yoda, Skylar returned home. Thoran found her in the kitchen slamming cabinets.

?Is it safe to come in?? Thoran playfully asked her.

?Well considering you are not, Qui-Gon, yes,? Skylar s

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Skylar entered Master Yoda?s private living quarters and sat cross legged on one of the seats. ?I disagree with you, Master.? Skylar told him truthfully. ?You have a young and impressionable boy feeling unwanted and inadequate.?

?Trust in the Force you must, Skylar.? Yoda replied in his usual enigmatic way. ?Find the way, Qui-Gon will.?

?At the expense at a young boy,? Skylar said firmly but respectfully.

Is Skylar the only one brave enough to see the damage to a young boy from Yoda's machinations? She belonged on the Council.

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Finally Qui-Gon does the right thing, never mind that Obi-Wan is a pawn in the Jedi councils game.o_O

The masters can be cruel with their decisions as long as it serves their purpose.[face_shame_on_you]

Nevertheless, Obi-Wan is better than them all and he will grow strong and be of the light.O:)

Great update.=D=

21. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I read this last night, but couldn't leave a message then. I loved this chapter, can't wait for more. =D=

22. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Just started reading this and looking forward to more! Skylar and Thoran are so cute together, very nice [face_love] I like how you start with her knighting, and so looking forward to Obi-Wan. Great job! :D

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Read a little more... Xan is horrible! And the way Qui is letting him get away with it makes me sad, looking forward to see where that goes. Also, loved their kiss, very romantic. Can't wait for the mission!

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I feel so bad for Skylar, the way Qui is acting, argh! Love reading Skylar and Thoran, so romantic, new love[face_love]

25. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    Quick disclaimer, Valairy_Scot had Skylar give Obi-Wan his journal that I show in this chapter in Hello There, which is her diary that mirrors my diary of Qui-Gon?s, The Will of The Force. Oh jeesh, my diary. :_| I need to work on that.[face_worried]

Valairy_Scot: Qui-Gon raised Skylar to be strong and confident. She is not afraid to tell him?or anyone else when they are wrong. ;) Thanks for the idea in your diary that I mentioned above. [:D]

Gkilkenny: I always thought Obi-Wan was kind of a pawn with the Council. :rolleyes: Even with the turmoil and angst of his childhood, he is of the light.:D

obimom: Thank you so much for reading. Hope you like the next chapter. [face_dancing]

Serendipityaey: Thanks for reading. A lot is due to happen in the next few chapters. Angst, heartbreak, etc. [face_whistling] Hope you like. :cool:

Qui-Gon took Skylar?s words and pushed them into the back of his mind. He simply was not ready to open up to Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon wished it could be different, but this was the way it had to be. He would train him, mentor him, and advise him. He would not love him. One day they perhaps would be friends, but in the hear and now, they would be Master and Apprentice.

Skylar observed Qui-Gon a few days later publicly scolding Obi-Wan for his lack of focus during a master-padawan sparring match. Skylar considered his words to be insensitive and felt pity for the boy who stood there silently as a small crowd gathered to watch Qui-Gon?s criticism. The woman?s heart went out to Obi-Wan who stood there mortified at his public admonishment.

?Go get a shower,? Skylar told Zac. ?I will be home shortly.? Her student immediately obeyed and Skylar moved toward her former master. As she approached, she heard Obi-Wan ask for permission to be excused. Qui-Gon nodded in agreement, and after a slight bow, Obi-Wan left the room as if he was being chased.

?Are you satisfied, Master?? Skylar asked the older man.

Qui-Gon turned around and saw his former student, ?What do you mean, Skylar??

?Are you satisfied you have accomplished degrading your student in front of his peers and their masters?? Skylar was respectful yet firm. ?Doesn?t the part of our code, ?Honor Your Padawan? mean anything to you??

?His moves were careless today,? Qui-Gon half-heartedly explained. ?He needs to remain focused. Today it was a simple training exercise; tomorrow it could be a mission that could end very poorly if he is not alert. I do not wish to see the boy injured.?

Skylar did not back down, ?Yet you harmed him with your public humiliation. Qui-Gon your soul is as cold and dead as the winter.? Again, it was the student pointing out the master?s flaws. Qui-Gon knew deep down she was right in her observations, but ever stubborn, he refused to admit it.

?I will not coddle him, Skylar,? Qui-Gon responded harshly.

?I?m not asking you to coddle him, Qui-Gon,? Skylar sadly told him. ?I?m asking you to be compassionate. The way you were with me. It is time you finally put Xanatos behind you. In fact, that point is long overdue. Do not make Obi-Wan suffer for Xanatos? mistakes. If you do, you can end up doing serious harm to that dear child.?

Skylar turned and walked away, leaving Qui-Gon behind pondering her warranted advice. Unfortunately, he steeled himself once more. He would not indulge, he would not spoil, and he would not give false praise. He would continue to raise Obi-Wan the way he saw fit. One day the boy would understand and perhaps even appreciate the hard stance Qui-Gon had taken. It was the way he had been educated by Master Dooku and would suffice for Obi-Wan.

The next day, Skylar paid a visit to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan?s apartment. Obi-Wan?s demeanor brightened slightly when he answered the door and saw Skylar, ?Mas