main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forget it! CLONES b.o. assures EP 3 will be simplistic

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Bresson, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Personally, I don't think CLONES will clear the $300 mil mark. It'll be close and could go either way. I really enjoyed the movie, but the more I read the numbers (fading faster than that invisible ink I used as a kid to write secret messages), the more I've come to the conclusion that any elaborate, intricate, and dark conclusion is being thrown out the window, as a direct response to the domestic b.o. Not that Lucas needs the money. But being the consummate businessman, he's not going to fork over $130 million on a movie that the general public has greeted with a shrug and a yawn. Even in recent interviews, Lucas has backed off some of his early claims: "It'll be dark for STAR WARS, but not that dark." Or something like that.

I think all our speculation and second guessing is in vain. Lucas will tell the story, and it will be the darkest of the three, but it won't be emotionally wrenching movie we all want. I think it will be straightforward and business like, as much of the PT has been. And it'll be more humorous and "kid friendly" than anyone wants it to be. Jar Jar will be a bigger part of it. C3P0 will protest. Etc.

But remember: This is just my guess. Maybe Lucas will surprise us. But you have to admit I'm just saying a lot of us are thinking.

2. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Much to learn, you still have....

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Uhm...it's not everyday that a movie even makes THAT much. Episode II will be one of the most successful movies this year. Just because it didn't make an uptabazillion dollars doesn't mean it was a failure.

Sheesh. Any director would be proud to make HALF as much as Episode II.

And BTW, no -real- movie director would ever give up just because his previous movie didn't surpass everything.

4. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Lets just say that if Ep3 is nearly as dark as everyone wants it to be it will make Empire look like a comedy.

Personally, I don't like the idea of sitting through another Minority Report. I just can't handle that kind of movie. It is too exhausting for me.

Bresson,

I think you are on to something. Lucas is really going to have to rethink a few things, I think, after AOTC's somewhat disappointing B.O. Probably the marketing strategy, which I liked as TPM was way too much, but other things as well.

5. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    Pooja

No real director,yes. But I think Lucas even has said himself, many times, that he does this with an eye on the business end. What was his famous recent quote: "The only thing a director cares about is that his movie makes enough money for him to make another one."

I hope he lets it fly, too. I'm just bringing this topic up again because the numbers are dropping at a staggering rate. And admit it, they are, regardless of where the movie eventually ends up. I mean, I live in L.A. and the movie's already playing in small theaters and it's not even July yet.

Lucas must be wondering: If MENACE made more money, why not go back to that formula?

6. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    "Lucas must be wondering: If MENACE made more money, why not go back to that formula?"

And the critics sure aren't helping any either. While most fans seem to view AOTC as superier to TPM, critics seem to be just as divided over this one as they were over the last one.

I wish I knew what kind of thoughts were going through Lucas' mind right now. I wish he would discuss it with Spielberg, or someone other than McCallum (who I don't hate). He needs a friend that is not involved with the prequels to talk things over with so he can recognize what he needs to do to make Episode 3 the best it can be.

7. DJJaded

DJJaded Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2001
    I agree...

"Listen to Spielberg, save you he can"

8. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Guys, Lucas already had modest expectations for AOTC's success. On many occasions he said that he's confident that AOTC will make it into the all-time top twenty, and that's as lofty as his financial expectations went.

If he were really worried about profit, do you think he'd be financing the whole thing out of his own pocket?

9. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    "If he were really worried about profit, do you think he'd be financing the whole thing out of his own pocket? "

Well, by financing it out of his own pocket, he collects all the profits, at least what's not divided among distributors. He doesn't share any with Fox. And he finances his own movies because he wants absolute control. Can't blame him for that. But I think because he finances out of his own pocket is exactly why he might be giving pause to what he's doing for Ep 3.

10. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    "But I think because he finances out of his own pocket is exactly why he might be giving pause to what he's doing for Ep 3."

Exactly. Let's speculate here and let's just say that Lucas goes to Fox for oh say $30 million dollars to help Lucas finance Episode 3. What do you think that would be an indication of?

11. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    I heard that $25 million of MINORITY REPORT was paid for by all the product placements in that movie. Not sure why I bring that up, but Luke_Clone's last post made me think of it.

Lucas would never go to Fox for a dime. I think he'd rather not make the movie.

12. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Episode III is probably the one with which he is least concerned about profit - because he doesn't need his money back to make the next one afterwards.

13. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Come on. Unless Lucas is retarded he knows that the reason TPM will hold a 130 million dollar lead on AotC is because it's marketting campaign was twelve times as big, not because it had Jar Jar and poop jokes.

Lucas is very rich, very single-minded (when it comes to his movies) and Star Wars has a freaking enourmous fanbase (or have you forgotten?)! All of these things STRONGLY point to Lucas making exactly the movie he wants to.

14. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The only reason it's doing 'poorly' is because Spiderman turned into a bigger event than anyone predicted. And there was no way it could match up to TPM which really was a fluke.
    It iddn't do poorly at all. The only problem is that this year movie megahits are coming out every week. Spiderman was already set to make a ton of cash. So was Scooby Doo really. MIB 2. And so on. The competition's a lot stiffer this year.
    I think when Lucas was saying 'dark for a Star Wars movie' he meant just what he said. ESB is dark for a Star Wars movie but not exactly dim and grim compared to an actual dark movie.

15. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    It would be disappointing if GL did in fact alter his plans because of Episode II's box office, which is hardly a letdown. Don't forget the international numbers which are very strong or the upcoming release of the AOTC DVD which will make a truckload of extra money. If any changes are to be made for Episode III, it should be on the marketing campaign, not the film itself.

16. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Lucas would be the least concerned about the reaction to Episode III because after that he's done with Star Wars. He'll be able to move onto whatever he likes.

But I do think people overestimate how dark Episode III is going to be. Sure Lucas has said it will be dark, bu this is the same guy that talked to psychologists to make sure Vader cutting off Luke's hand in ESB wouldn't be too much for kids to handle. [face_plain]

17. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes, I would assume those Clones do have pretty bad BO..... ;)

Anyways, AOTC's box office records are still a HUGE success for any movie. Lucas will make the movies he wants to make even if it bombed.

18. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    You guys worry too much. George made Episode II to have things in it he enjoyed. Reagradless of box-office take or critics, he knows Epi II was the vision he wants. Anyone who walked out of AotC happy and wanting to go right back into watch it again, as they did coming out of ANH <<ala 1977 I mean>>, knows that George is right on track. Episode 3 will even be that much better because now George knows, before making it, that what he wants to make will be great.

I enjoyed AotC so much that I'm actually excited to see what George's next adventure will be. I dont mean SW related, either!

Isurus

19. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Personally I get sick of the whole Box office thing in relation to Lucas' films. Sure he wants to make money off them but I dont think he entirely cares that much. These are movies wont change just because of a poor day at the box office.

20. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    If George listened to Steven Spielberg, then he would probably ditch the 2.35 asr, use 1.85 instead, ditch the digital photography, and forget about releasing anything on DLP. That's Spielberg for you.

Anyway this is nothing new. In the very last "Making of" episode, George himself said that this one would be on a more personal level and less gradiose....then again he said that about AOTC also.

21. Drunken Jedi Master

Drunken Jedi Master Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 1999
    The only people concerned with the whole "box office results" are fanboys who think that unless whatever the latest Star Wars movie rakes in is some kind of cosmic indication of the quality of the movie.

[face_plain]

I hope George Lucas doesn't listen to a single soul save himself when it comes to Episode III.

22. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    The only people concerned with the whole "box office results" are fanboys who think that unless whatever the latest Star Wars movie rakes in is some kind of cosmic indication of the quality of the movie.

Agreed. I think the B.O. tally was the last thing on my mind come May 16th. It should have been Lucas' too, other than the money he needs to make Episode III with. I just hope he got enough.

But I'm sure that big clone war will take a lot of CG...here's hoping they have no financial problems. (lol)

23. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Give me a BREAK.

Lucas has been dreaming up some of these Episode III scenes for decades, and you say he's going to rearrange it all to make it more 'simplistic' (when you have no idea in the FIRST place what his ORIGINAL 'vision' was) because of how well Episode II fares in theaters?!

GL said he'd be happy if it broke 250! And it has. The guy has often stated that he's excited to finally do III since I and II were basically set-up and motion forward for the prequels, and this is the one where everything plays out, where he has the most 'fun'.

And I also thought that he was paying more attention to the movies as part of a saga that holds for years and years to come? Why would he care so much about the BOX OFFICE when it's already given him quite enough to do Episode III just as he's imagined it?

I don't understaaaand some people...

24. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    "I heard that $25 million of MINORITY REPORT was paid for by all the product placements in that movie. Not sure why I bring that up, but Luke_Clone's last post made me think of it."

Sheesh, that was pretty bad wasn't it? ;) I swear I don't think there was a single made up company in the whole darn movie.

"Lucas would never go to Fox for a dime. I think he'd rather not make the movie."

I agree I was just throwing that out there to see what kind of response I would get.

Really, I don't think he's going to change much except the marketing strategy, but I don't think that Episode 3 is going to be nearly as dark as some people here think it will be. GL's unaltered vision or the altered vision of whatever the heck it will be "darker" than Empire but it isn't exactly going to be the Excorsist or anything like that guys. ;)

25. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    There are more ramifications than if Lucas has enough money to make Ep 3. Obviously, the guy's worth some 3 billion so budget money isn't a concern.

But will Lucas be able to get as many tie ins as he'd like if companies perceive STAR WARS as a fading franchise? I don't do the toys and merchandising thing, so maybe someone who does can speak to how popular that still is.

Will theaters allow Lucas to call his own shots? Lucas gets the sweetest deal of any filmmaker, gettting 70% of the first weekend dollar and not giving up 50% until the fourth weekend. Are theaters going to put up with that when so many unloaded the movie after their four week obligation? Can Lucas get the four week obligation again? If studios don't pony up for digital projectors, in three years, will theaters let Lucasfilm strong arm them into putting them into their screening rooms just to show EP 3? In other words, will CLONES quick fade effect theater's attitude towards Ep 3, or will they play hardball?

Food for thought, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.