main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Forging His Own Path (Obi, post-TPM vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Title: Forging His Own Path
    Author(s): Jennifer_Lyn
    Timeframe: a few months after TPM
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Genre: introspection
    Summary: Buried somewhere between a Padawan and a Master there is a Knight.
    Notes: Written for Kestrel_Kenobi's birthday. *hugs* My it's been quite some time since I posted something new! I've not written Obi-Wan from this time period before, it's always Post-ROTS or Pre-TPM for me. It was interesting to get to explore this part of his character.
    Disclaimer: It's all George's!

Peace.
    It does not mean to be in a place
    where there is no noise,
    trouble or hard work.
    It means to be in the midst
    of these things and still
    be calm in your heart.
    - unknown

Sweat soaked his inner tunic. It clung to his chest and chafed his arms as they rubbed against the fabric, the skin growing raw and red with the rough treatment. His muscles alternated between searing pain and throbbing numbness. At times his legs shook with the effort of holding his stance. Yet it was all little more than a mild distraction to him.

Listening to the Force thundering in his head, Obi-Wan Kenobi swung his lightsaber rapidly through the air, the azure blade providing the only light in the room. Its dim blue glow reflected off the wooden surface of the training salle floor where Knights and Masters, advanced disciples of the blade, were given space to push their limits and travel on journeys of self discovery. The lack of any padding or ornamentation in the large space allowed for an easy clarity of mind, free of outside influence.

Yet Obi-Wan?s mind was not clear, a fact he had come here to try and overcome. Night after night he slipped from the rooms he now shared with young Anakin. Away from the memories of a lifetime spent with Qui-Gon Jinn, his Master, his father, his friend. For he heard the call of a new Master.

Darth Maul was a more ruthless taskmaster in death than Qui-Gon, despite his gruff exterior, had ever been in life. Though gone these three long months, the Sith still held sway over the young Master?s mind. The daily distractions provided by the Temple, his duties and the training of Anakin were enough to keep Maul at bay during daylight hours. But after nightfall, when the Temple quieted into the dull thrum produced by thousands of sleeping beings, he would come calling and they would begin again.

It mattered little that Obi-Wan could not see him, he knew who it was he was battling against as he paced the floor, pushing through each kata, maintaining each crouching or reaching stance until his muscles screamed. At times the pressure on his mind was so palpable he could envision the Zabrak, his tattooed face and yellow grin shining in the darkness as he lurked in the corner, always a triumphant sneer upon his visage.

?No, Jedi, not quite good enough. Do it until you do not have to taint yourself with the Dark side to defeat me.?

The Dark side. It?s cloud grew daily over the galaxy. Obi-Wan swore to himself he would do all he could to prevent that plague from covering all the galaxy in darkness. For he had touched it, using it in that moment of angry desperation to defeat the one who now taunted him from beyong the grave and while it gave him the victory that day, it also seared his soul with a wound that still sat open and sore.

So now he was in the crucible, searching to clarify and refine his inner being, that he may be an instrument of Light. The transformation was beginning to make itself visible, in subtle ways manifesting itself upon his countenance. His Padawan braid now no more than a memory, he began to allow his hair to grow for the first time in his life. Already the ends covered his ears, the tips fading into a bright copper as they were exposed to the sun. His beard, too, began to grow in quickly, aging his appearance faster than a more vain man would have wished.

His physical presence was shifting and changing as well. Hours spent in training transformed the finely toned muscle of his teen years into the taught strings of adulthood, now carrying

2. Master-Korr

Master-Korr Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2004
    I loved it, pm me if you have any new stories like this or any that are about obi and ani's friendship

3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    JL - I'm so thrilled to have such a beautiful story as a gift. [:D]

This is such a wonderful vig - a second read makes it even better.

I love all the details and the changes Obi goes through...

His physical presence was shifting and changing as well. Hours spent in training transformed the finely toned muscle of his teen years into the taught strings of adulthood, now carrying with them a fierce power. Drill after drill in footwork honed his energetic posture into the most graceful of bearings.

And you know I love this part :D

Thank you JL for such a lovely pressie. :)

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Beautiful. [face_love] The poem at the beginning was so Obi-Wan.

Defense was the method by which he would find his own strength and he foresaw more hard work to come in the days ahead.

Really like that line, too. To me it's as though he's calming with age, realising that attack isn't his only option.

5. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    What amazing detail :D
    and this bit His physical presence was shifting and changing as well. Hours spent in training transformed the finely toned muscle of his teen years into the taught strings of adulthood, now carrying with them a fierce power. Can you say =P~

Great stuff =D=

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely stunning! Beautifully done! =D=

7. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh, this was excellent. Bravo! =D= =D=

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    :D hi peeps!

Master-Korr: so glad you liked it! i think i've got one fic that might have some of what you're looking for, Preparing for a Padawan (link's in the bio). it's a bit mushy, though and has lots of Qui-gon in it. still, it's got some fun Obi - Ani interaction.

Kes: [:D] and you are so welcome!

JadeSolo: thank you! That quote is actually on a mug that i drink my ubiquitous tea out of. it sparked the fic.

Stella: *passes drool bucket* must every Obi description be hormonal to you? :rolleyes: :D

Vadey & Gina: i keep seeing your names together in my replies. one might wonder if you're the same person. hmmm. thanks so much, as always, Obi is a pleasure to write.

i'm thinkin' i've kinda got a series going here. i wrote a similarly vibed Qui story a while back and also ran one of my OC's through the same filters. i'm thinking i might continue and write Anakin and Luke at some point. y'all let me know if you'd like to be notified.

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awesome job on this.

and at last Obi-Wan has peace!

Wonderful!!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    That was amazing...Beautiful. I just remembered that Mace in Matthew Stover's ROTS novel said that Obi-wan's fighting style was flawless, I suppose this story explains why.

11. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    ...and the Soresu master is born.

What a great moment to write, when Obi-Wan seems to become a Knight in practice as well as in name, diverting from his Master's teachings and reaching his own conclusions.

I really enjoyed this. :)

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Beautiful viggie. LOvely insight into Obi-Wan at that point. Lucky Kes getting such a gift. :)

13. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Sometimes you have to face the things that trouble you head on, this story did that beautifully, I also liked how Obi-Wan discovered that defense is perhaps the best offense as he will use to great effect later on in his career as a Jedi..

Very good and well written!=D= =D=

14. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    KELIA: well, we know it's only a temporary peace, poor thing. he is raising Anakin now, after all.

-Courtney-: yes, that book was a big inspiration for this piece. so glad you enjoyed it!

DarthMousche: nail on the head, m'dear. that's exactly what i was going for! [:D]

Healer_Leona: birthday viggies are my specialty! thanks!

Ludo_Kressh: thanks for checking this out! it was interesting to explore a time when he was struggling with his position in the Order.

15. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    You have a wonderful ability to blend practicing lightsaber moves with thoughts and meditation in a way that's really effective. I loved seeing how Obi-Wan's Soresu began.

And Ludo-Kressh - The best offense is a good defense? I like that. Very Obi-Wan. :D

16. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Knight Kenobi, a title he had worn for scant minutes as he campaigned for Anakin?s apprenticeship on Naboo, was never given a chance to become his own man.

You know, I never even thought of it like that before. :eek: It's so true. I liked this vignette very much. :) Beautiful writing, and great insight into Obi-Wan's character. :)

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I enjoyed this story very much.

18. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Lovely-in-Orange: *bows and blushes* thank you! these 'meditation' viggies tend to just come to me like a bolt from the blue. they're a real pleasure to write and i'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Gabri_Jade: so glad you liked it!

Valairy_Scot: thank you for reading!

Well, folks. I'm gonna lock this thread. I've decided to move ahead on that series idea and will be reposting this viggie there.

Thank you all so much for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.