main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Forgot how sad Revenge of the Sith was

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Theron Solo, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Just got done watching ROTS. Always forget how sad this movie is. What could of been if Anakin would of listened to the right people. Great movie.

2. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    It is a very sad movie...

I cried like a baby in the bathroom of the theatre after the first time I saw it. That may have been due to me thinking there would be no more SW. But then again, seeing Luke and Leia, going to Tatooine, twin suns on that same hill...

Still gets me a bit

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Sad that the right people didn't give him anything (that he found) worth listening to. "Dreams pass in time..." isn't sage advice. Anakin wasn't a "let-it-go" kind of guy, the Jedi were foolish to tell him to train himself "to do just that" when he was clearly incapable. Its sad that Yoda didn't understand how serious Anakin was when he said "I won't let these visions come true, Master."
    [​IMG]
    Best dream image belongs to Vader, but I couldn't find the "Padme facepalm" one in my archives, so this will have to do.:p

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The movie is a great embodiment of Greek Tragedy. The main character doesn't die, but he suffers a fate much worse than death.

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    This is basically the reason why I won't watch RotS unless I feel like I'm OK with getting a little depressed for a while.

ObiWanKnowsMe and SithStarSlayer like this.
  6. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    ROTS will always be my favorite out of the PT's. I love the tragedy within it. Seeing Anakin waiting in the council chambers as Windu and the other Jedi confront Palpatine was such an emotional scene. Him and Padme both staring into the setting sun with tears. We see his heart and his emotion in this movie, and it makes us relate.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Took the words right out of my mouth, good sir!

And that image you posted is beautiful, by the way. I've never seen it before - thanks for sharing!

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ROTS depresses the hell out of me. It's a space opera (of course), and so many scenes contribute to the tragedy of it all. You go from relating to Anakin to practically hating him over the course of the movie. It's very well done.
    Much of it is enough to really leave an impression on me, even after seeing it so many times. Some examples...
    Anakin and Obi-Wan being close at first, and you know that even with all Obi-Wan's efforts to train him, their relationship is doomed. And he quite significantly isn't there when Anakin turns, he never knew how much Anakin needed him on Coruscant.
    The bittersweet moment Anakin finds out Padme is pregnant; "This is a happier moment.", and you know where the story is ultimately going. Also, probably the most depressing scene in the movie for me, the discussion between Padme and Anakin after Anakin's first dream. When he turns away from Padme, just before "You die in childbirth." This scene never fails to reach me.
    "They need you, Anakin. More than you know." And the music as we transition to the Jedi Temple. One of my fave moments in the saga.
    Order 66. This really got to me in the cinema. Anakin walking in on the younglings probably has the strongest impact of any scene in the movie. As with the whole movie, the music is amazing.
    Anakin shedding a tear as he looks at the eclipse on Mustafar, put simply; symbolising Vader (and the dark) blocking the good in Anakin out.
    The tragedy of the moment Obi-Wan appears on the landing platform, and Anakin thinks she brought him there on purpose. Poor Padme. Always makes me depressed and just saying to myself "doooom".
    The immolation scene, I actually feel sorry for all three of the main characters (Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan), and this scene really drives that home. Also, how dark is the image of charred Anakin clawing his way up the lavabank with his robotic hand as Sidious' ship's shadow passes over him, come to collect his prize from "hell"?
    Anakin's desperate attempt to save Padme indirectly killing her, even if only because they both fade symbiotically as Anakin is consumed and Padme's heart breaks.
    Padme's funeral and the Japor snippet, and Vader and The Emperor's last shot. Love the re-use of the music from Qui-Gon's funeral. Hard to explain this in a non-morbid way, but these are two of the main deaths that mark Anakin's metaphorical death and Vader's birth. Qui-Gon, Shmi, Dooku, Mace, Padme, Anakin.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Japor snippet was the perfect touch.

"You'll always be that little boy on Tatooine..."

If only.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's really too bad it was nominated for only one Oscar that year.

11. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    It is very sad, but then I just watch ROTJ and it cheers me up

ObiWanKnowsMe and Son of a Bith like this.
  12. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    What is Padme sitting on in that pic?

As for ROTS I agree, although the pre-duel confrontation between Anakin and Obi-Wan is lessened in drama by the fact that Christensen somehow manages to mangle every single line. I actually like him in a lot of the PT (awkward teenager trying to sound sophisticated was the perfect way to play Anakin in AOTC for example) but that scene is the worst acting in the saga.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What is Padme sitting on in that pic?

Vader's helmet.
    :p

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The beginning was just classic Star Wars, aside from Dooku being executed. Then, the second act really shook things up. After the death of Mace, everything established in the Prequels began to fall apart, bringing us into the dystopian world of the Empire in the Classic Trilogy.

The death of the Jedi were some of the worst parts for me, especially those including Vader. Anakin turned his back on the only family he had at that point, and then on Padme.

15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's definitely the best of the PT's. Order 66, Vader marching on the temple, it has a lot to offer.

Darkslayer and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  16. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I found it sad too. However, I remember when I saw it in the cinema, following the death of all the Jedi I was a bit depressed for a little bit, right up until the part where Vader starts choking Padme on Mustafar. All I remember is seeing Obi Wan doing his superman pose in the entrance to the spaceship and thinking "Well Anakin, here's what you get for killing all those people. Obi Wan is gonna mess you up and it's going to be ****ing awesome". Instantaneous good feeling.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Son of a Bith like this.
  17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    How could it not? Luke Skywalker, FTW.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's so sad that I can't even stand to watch it.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  20. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    "Goodbye old friend, MTFBWY"

"MTFBWY Master"

This part is always said, because it's the last time we see them as friends, and it really is them saying goodbye forever.

21. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    I think Vader marching on the temple would have been even better had they used a new version of the Imperial March rather than the Battle of Grassy Plains music (can't remember the actual name of it). Maybe start with just the drums, and have the brass come in as Vader reaches the top of the flight of stairs.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The sadness of it all always gets me too, but ironically the thing that gets me even more (still gives me chills every time) is the uplifting shift of the final scenes where Leia and then Luke are delivered to their new lives. It is heavy with the promise that things will get better at some point. And I love that that final chapter on the ROTS DVD is titled "A New Hope", both in reference to that promise and in reference to the next episode in chronological order.

wobbits, minnishe, V-2 and 3 others like this.
  23. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The whole thing was just rough, I felt Anakin was honestly trying to do the right thing, but was just so confused. And rightfully so, I can't imagine how I would react if I had dreams of the one thing I love the most dying. He was just in a bad state. But Order 66 and when he kills the younglings just kills me. It just is so sad. But like others have said the very end is just amazing. When you see luke being brought to tatooine, i get goosebumps. Just amazing. And when Yoda tells Obi Wan about Qui Gon. I forgot how awesome that part was!!

24. AT-AT That Matt

AT-AT That Matt Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2013
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you."

Gets me every time.

Dredalus, Darth Chiznuk and eht13 like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think McGreggor's "It was said that you were to destroy the Sith, not join them!" is my favourite line reading of his the whole damn trilogy. He earned his paycheque for 3 movies with just that bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.