main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Forgotten Past - a fic-gift for BigFatty - Luke/Mara

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by path-seeker, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Title: Forgotten Past
    Author: path-seeker
    Timeframe: post-SQ
    Characters: Luke and Mara
    Genre: romance
    A/N: This is a fic-gift for BigFatty as part of the holiday fic-gift exchange. I hope you have a happy and successful new year! [:D]
    Her requests were:
    1. A person discovering something about their past
    2. A date
    3. Cold weather
    4. No super-sweet mush

Thank you, Jade_eyes, for betaing!

The atmosphere in the small tapcafe was one that Luke rarely experienced, but greatly appreciated. It was a quiet place with simple but elegant woodwork, a roaring fire in the hearth, and small decorations here and there. Although quaint by Coruscant?s standards, it was the perfect place for a reunion on a quiet planet.

Luke's thoughts were interrupted when the door opened, letting in a blast of cold air, and Mara entered. She was wearing a new coat in the style Leia liked so much, one that highlighted her curves and brought out the color of her striking green eyes. It caused his gaze to linger on her longer than usual, and he noticed with a frown that some other men were doing the same.

Mara?s eyes, however, were only for Luke. A subtle shift in her emotions occurred as she approached him, removing her crimson-colored scarf as she did so, and he rose to greet her. ?I was afraid you weren?t going to make it. The weather certainly isn?t being friendly.?

?No kidding.? Mara ran a hand through her hair, damp with melted snow. ?The [i]Sabre?s[/i] remarkable.? She said, shaking her head. ?I don?t think I?d have made it flying anything else.?

He slid back into the booth, and Mara followed suit. ?Is that new?? he asked, motioning to the cream-colored coat beside him on the bench.

Mara nodded. ?It was a gift from your sister. I told her she's done more than enough for me, but she insisted.?

?Well, that?s just Leia. For awhile she was afraid I?d never get married, so she?s happy to finally have a sister-in-law.?

?As am I.? Mara smiled.

?I?m going to get a cup of hot chocolate,? Luke said, rising from the table. ?What would you like??

?Hot chocolate sounds good to me.?

?What, no caf? Who are you, and what have you done with my wife?? he asked with a grin, receiving an exasperated sigh in return.

?I don?t live on caf, you know," she insisted when Luke returned with their mugs.

?Well, sometimes I wonder??

Mara rolled her eyes and changed the subject. ?How are things at the academy??

?Everything?s fine. You know, it was hard training adults to be Jedi, but I think the younger students have them beat. They certainly keep the place lively.?

?Yes, I bet there's never a dull moment,? Mara mused, ?and I'm still getting used to being around your high-energy niece and nephews.?

?Our.?

?[i]Our[/i] niece and nephews. I can?t imagine trying to work with a dozen of them, all headstrong and force sensitive. You?re a brave man, love.?

?No wonder you?re never there,? he joked, but when Mara?s expression grew serious, Luke silently chided himself for bringing it up. ?I?m sorry, Mara. I?m not begrudging you or your work. I know how much effort you?ve been putting into the organization.?

?No, I'm sorry for being gone so often. In a few more weeks I can completely turn my job over to Shada and join you at the academy.? She smiled uncertainly and patted his hand. ?We?ll see if I?m any help with your students.?

Luke could see the longing in her eyes, which mirrored her unspoken plea for understanding. ?It?ll be great to have you there,? he said softly, squeezing her hand. They remained silent for awhile, enjoying their hot chocolate and the quiet din of other conversations.

?We should do this more often,? Luke remarked eventually.

?Do what?? Mara raised an eyebrow. ?Plan a date on some backwater planet whenever our travels bring us within a few parsecs of each other??

Luke threw back his head and laughed. ?Sure, why not??

?I guess that?s one way to catch up on all

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That was beautiful! @};-

I loved the little glimpses into Mara's past! And the details in this story were amazing, I could really imagine where they were and it made me cold!!

?What, no caf? Who are you, and what have you done with my wife?? he asked with a grin, receiving an exasperated sigh in return.
    ROFLOL! That so sounds like something my fiance would say to me if I ordered something other than coffee!

I enjoyed this a LOT!
    Great Job! =D=

3. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    This was such a lovely little piece here. [face_love]@};- I really enjoyed it. Luke and Mara to a T! =D= Very very well done. Happy New Years! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Thank you so much for my fic gift! It was a delight to read. :)

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so lovely!! And a bit bittersweet as well. The last line was absolutely beautiful.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Luscious. Mara's feelings are quite natural especially if she feels her life's complete :* which of course it is :D Liked that vision she had there at the end :)

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Delightful little story! Your describal of the tapcaf made me want to be there myself!
    Great work with both Luke and Mara and perfectly living up to "no super-sweet mush". The ending was perfect too!!! @};-

8. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    You have an interesting interpretation on Mara's thoughts of her past. Many stories have her just as eager to discover the past as Luke and Leia to find out about their mother. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's nice to see a different take. And your story made me think of "Once Upon a December" from Anastasia. Just to let you know, I usually don't comment on fanfics.

9. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    What a great piece. I, too, like the fact that Mara didn't want Luke to learn about her past all at once. The past does tell about who we are, but our present dictates where we are going in the future. Great job! =D=

10. Ultimate_Jedi_Master

Ultimate_Jedi_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    I enjoyed this fic. Good job on it

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was very sweet and more than a little sad. That Mara refused to find out about her family speaks very much of her vulnerability and how much she doesn't want to feel that way ever again.

Good job.

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    What a great gift for BF and also for all of us! [:D] I really love how quiet and reflective this is, and I could just see it all so clearly. Newlywed L/M is always a treat to read and you did it so well. I love how Luke brought up again what he did in VOTF regarding her memories and how her position has not changed, but could someday. The love and caring is evident throughtout the story. Wonderful little vig! [face_love]

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    We see so little of Mara's past, of her talking about what she remembers... and this so hit the spot. She might not remember a whole lot about her childhood, but what she does remember was pleasant.

Well done on this, path-seeker. :)

14. Zenni

Zenni Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2009
    Hey, smooth piece. I am probably the most uninformed person on SW after EP 6, but from what I do know, this was great! Flowed well, and there was never a dull moment! (Glad to see someone who knows how to make things intersting without adding in pointless or random gun fights and/or kabooms!)
    Kudos master!
    I'll get some of my stuff up soon enough.
    -Zenni (the noob!)

15. Soulman1

Soulman1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2008
    Great Story! The past can be scary. I can understand Mara's reluctance. I can understand Luke wanting to help her remember as well. She gets back a part of her past and he gets learn more about her childhood as well. i'm glad your Luke wasn't pushy though. Well done. you should write more L/M Fics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.