main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Form VII Juyo

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MandaloreWarrior77, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    I think this quote from Bruce Lee examplifies the tenets of Form VII:

Jeet Kune Do favors formlessness so that it can assume all forms and since Jeet Kune Do has no style, it can fit in with all styles. As a result, Jeet Kune Do utilizes all ways and is bound by none and, likewise, uses any techniques which serve its end.

The last sentence is very important because in Mace Windu's form of Vaapad it takes the practioner to the very threshold of the dark side. The whole mentality of using anything to win.

Another thing for the form VII/JKD argument is that it is so hard to pin down to a simple form. That in itself lends credence to JKD being the 'form' for Form VII. The whole point of JKD is to transcend boundaries, to be fluid, to be water. When you dive into a pool you cut into the water, when you do a belly flop the water hits back. Form VII is all about adaptation, becoming what you need to to win the fight and using whatever you can to win.

2. MandaloreWarrior77

MandaloreWarrior77 Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2004
    That is a great way of explaining it.

3. Warmaster_Jedi

Warmaster_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2008
    I thought that's to learn the Form VI: Niman to learn all the aspect/disciplines of the Form I-V? Or has it recton already, since it's been almost two years last I read Form I-VII from Wookieepedia?

4. MandaloreWarrior77

MandaloreWarrior77 Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2004
    The most challenging and demanding of all forms, Form VII required intense focus, a high degree of skill, and mastery of other forms. Form Wookiepedia:

Form VI attempted to balance all elements of lightsaber combat, combining the techniques from Forms that came before into a less intensely demanding combat style. In practice, Form VI was a combination of older forms (Forms I, III, IV, and V), and all of them in moderation. In the blending, much of the individuality was lost, but the strengths were spread evenly.

From what we've seen brought here to this topic is that Form VII is akin to Jeet Kun Do.

Intrepid, somewhat direct movements were used in combination with advanced techniques involving Force-powered jumps and very fast motions. Form VII did not appear quite as fancy as Form IV, as there were not as many moves like twirling and flipping, but the technical requirements were much higher. Vaapad used seemingly free-wheeling and open movements, but with utter control on the part of the wielder. The end result, if practiced correctly, was a very unpredictable lightsaber style. The staccato swings and flow of the form made it seem as if the attacks were not linked?but in reality, it was merely confusing the opponent. Form VII demanded the emotional and physical intensity of Form V, but it much more effectively controlled it?if mastered. Form VII, when fully mastered, resulted in extraordinary power.

Form VII is much more intense than Niman. They both require the learning of multiple forms but Form VII does it with much more intensity and focus.

Form VII calls for all your movements to be direct, fast, bold and staccato in nature while still being very fluid.

The same characteristics can be found in the Jeet Kun Do page on Wikipedia:

JKD practitioners believe that techniques should contain the following properties:

* Efficiency - An attack that reaches its mark.
    * Directness - The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
    * Simplicity - Thinking in an uncomplicated manner; without ornamentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.