main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Formation of the Republic date

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    As we all know, Obi-Wan makes his "for a thousand generations" comment in ANH, whereas in the PT there are remarks (by Palpatine, for example) that the Republic has only existed for ~1000 years. Now, Obi-Wan's line could have easily been retconned as metaphorical, if not for EU entries like Tales of the Jedi which had the Republic formed c. 25000 BBY and engaging in Sith Wars in 5000/4000 BBY. So the Ruusan Reformation was made up in order to account for the discrepancy.

I'm wondering: with the Tales of the Jedi now passed into Legends, will the 25000 BBY date be maintained? Or will there be a "re-imagined" Republic having emerged only after a cataclysmic War that also gave us the Rule of Two dispelled an earlier Sith anarchy, a vision that we somewhat glimpsed in the G-canon-inspired portions of Terry Brooks's TPM novelization?

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Obi-Wan was just a liberal thinker opposed with the Core's humanocentrism and calculated the history of the Republic in dog Wookiee years.

Even though I'd like to say I'm completely joking, but... funnily enough, I had actually been thinking about this just yesterday when I was watching a documentary about video game generations, and it struck me that in a galaxy full of aliens, it never got asked "A thousand generations... of what?"

Thuro, Gamiel, Xammer and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    There have already been various mentions of the Republic as being a thousand years old, but I believe there are also a few things that imply the possibility of another republic before it. Personally, I favor the former.

Gamiel and darklordoftech like this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I tend to support the view that the Republic is 25,000 years old, but the most "recent" incarnation was organized +/- 1000 BBY. The EU made that nice little retcon and I think it should be adopted in the new canon.

--Adm. Nick

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Master Huyang claims to have trained younglings for "a thousand generations" in TCW at least.

Xammer likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan could have been referring to the geographic area that ended up being ruled by the Republic government, not the government itself. If I say that a species of dinosaur lived in France, it doesn't mean that a country called France existed in the time of dinosaurs.

Nonetheless, Pre Vizsla mentions "the fall of the old republic", meaning that the republic that we see in the prequels isn't the first republic.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This I completely forgot about it but now that you say it

I also think it was a nod to the KOTOR games but now that I think about it

It was not the first Republic.

DurararaFTW and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Here's how I understand the situation in the new canon: 1000 generations ago (however long that is), the Jedi became "guardians of peace and justice" in the service of some unspecified government with galactic scope (retroactively called "the Old Republic", which needn't be strictly true -- I guess it would be equivalent to referring to the Kings of Latium that reigned in Alba Longa centuries before Rome was founded as "Kings of Rome"). Then, thousands of years later (at least 5000 years ago), the Sith were formed. The Sith conquered the galaxy. 1000 years ago, the Sith were defeated and the Galactic Republic was formed.

Thuro and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Tarkin mentions at the start of chapter 4 that the "earliest era of the Republic" was a thousand years earlier (when the "galaxy's dark age had ended" and "the Sith had been defeated and driven into hiding") but then immediately equates that with "a true republic" and "a pan-galactic Senate" which seems to imply that there would have been an earlier (apparently not-true) Republic and a presumably not-galactic Senate.

Thuro and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Wow the with ruled for a long time.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    not necessarily

12. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Also we learn from Sio Bibble in AotC, that "there hasn't been a war like this (the one threatned by the Seperatist-crisis) for a thousand years". Considering, that the very existance of the Republic was on the line here we can assume, that at some point 1,000 years ago there had been a kind of new start.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, that's two separate lines - Bibble's, and Palpatine's:

PALPATINE
    I will not let this Republic, that has stood for over a thousand years, be split in two.

SIO BIBBLE
    It's unthinkable! There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic!

from which people deduced that "the Republic" has had 1000 years of existence, and no full scale wars during that time.

14. REJECTED

REJECTED Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Well, the Ruusan Reformation gave birth to the version of the Republic we all know and love(?), but the first formation of a Galactic Republic was ca. 25.000 BBY.

15. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Can we even trust Sio Bibble? Anyone with facial hair like that is a dubious source at best.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

If you count the EU but at the moment we don't no what came before the Republic.

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Yes, but in real life states are also geographic bounderies besides being governments. It's convenient to say that dinosaurs roamed such and such a state because there's no other convenient way to describe the geographic boundary of that state.

Obi Wan would already have a convenient geographic descriptor word for the galaxy. It's called...the galaxy. So..he would have said "guardians of peace ansd justice in the galaxy."

As someone already mentioned though, the Clone Wars has already established the existance of a Republic before the prequel Republic which was known as an Old Republic by the time of the prequels. It's not a stretch to imagine that because the prequel Repulic is so young in comparison, most people equate it with the former Republic when talking about history in broad strokes.

REJECTED likes this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, it's been all but confirmed in a definitively canon source (TCW) that the Galactic Republic has had at least two iterations. The Ruusan Reformation is a pretty sensible retcon. It would be weird if they chose not to stick with it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. REJECTED

REJECTED Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2014

I agree with this. It's pretty sensible to assume that when people talk about the former republic, they mean the republic before the Ruusan Reformation.

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, but wasn't the Republic constantly expanding and adding new member worlds all the time? That sort of makes that idea moot.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    For all we know, Jedi and Sith battled without any breaks from 25,000 BBY to 1000 BBY.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Good grief I hope not.

23. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    That's basically the direction the old EU was headed, given ten more years of the same trend.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Makes me wonder if there should be limits on exploring new eras.

25. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    So France is still part of Pangea, even if Pangea doesn't exist anymore?