main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Formulating a Choreography Competition*

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Master_Comyn, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I had the idea for the bloopers in one of the 72hour fanfilm threads, and I think it would be hilarious! I'm definitely up for this.

2. Padan

Padan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    No story just fight.

3. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I like the idea of a premise, just something short and basic... just to give a 'little' backstory for the choreography. And the premise should 'NOT' be in the film, just for a 1 paragraph read before the entries.

Also, let me cast my vote on the issues at hand.

No on seperating it into catagories of any type
    Yes for having a few (READ: 2-3) side awards
    Yes for having rotoscoping, it just isn't the same without the rotoscoping.
    No for grading on any type of Vfx, really this is not a Vfx game and ryan would win anyway ;)
    No for having a 72 hour limit, we need a few weeks of prior prep time to get the choreography and practice together.
    Yes for having a time limit on the films, 2 minutes sounds like a find timelimit.

I really want to see this competition! I know myself and others have been wanting to do little lightsaber fights for various reasons but haven't had a real reason to do it. It is just too much work to rotoscope and practice for a little 2 minute scene that ends up meaning nothing.

So my final vote...
    YES that we get this program off the ground!

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yeah. I think effects should be optional. If you want to rotoscope it, go ahead. Why not. Just so long as that does not affect the judging.

5. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I agree with ryan and wd...

'nuff said...

6. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    The rotoscoping does seem to be an issue. I guess we have three options:

1. Prohibit rotoscoping in an attempt to even the playing field.

2. Encourage rotoscoping but accept clips either way.

3. Get Ryan Weiber and Michael Scott to rotoscope the clips from those unable to do it themselves. :D

And the award could be getting your clip rotoscoped by Clay Cronke himself! Whadda ya say, Clay?

7. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Hrm, if the reward is getting Clay to rotoscope the clip I might as well film the 5 minute 10 man lightsaber battle at the end of the film and submit that unrotoed ;)

8. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    That's just cruel. ;)

psst, do it anyway!

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    So should we set up sme sort of time frame, then?

10. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    We could go ahead and start now, and have a deadline of October 30th. Or we could wait a week or two for word to spread that this is out and start it up October 1st, with the deadline being something like November 1st. This would give some late-comers time to jump in and participate.

I've dug out my old sabres and started polishing them up. Though, one has a dowel rod stuck in it broken at the emitter. Gotta pry the pommel off and pound it out.

11. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    I´m choreographing a saber fight with my little brother at the moment and we´ll film it in the next weeks. so I´ll also take part!
    (If I get the camera to work!)
    And I think there should be a deadline, maybe in two or three month so everybody has time to practice! I think rotoscoping would take too much time if the fight should be 2 mins or longer. and this is a choreographing competition, not rotoscoping.

12. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    The fight cannot be longer than 2 minutes.

The deadline is November 1st.

Rotoscoping is encouraged, as it will give the overall clip a better feeling, but is not required. Any contestants wanting their clip rotoscoped (as in you cannot do it yourself at all) will have a deadline of October 18th. Anyone who wants to volunteer their rotoscoping abilities, PM me.

The two categories are as follows:

1. Best Original Choreography

2. Best Blooper Clip

Keep in mind, these are obviously subject to change, being they're from me. :)

13. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    alright, I will submit one *maybe two* clips to you. I am sure they won't win as neither of us has any formal training in the Martial Ways but It should be fun :D

14. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Deadline seems a bit far out to me, but however much time people need.

I guess actually it's not too bad since I'll be having school and will only be able to work on this during weekends and what not. So I guess that's an okay deadline. I just hope we don't loose momentum over that time.

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, so let's make sure we just register who's in and keep bumping the thread to remind ourselves.

I'm in.

M. Scott

16. jc_stratus

jc_stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    I'm in but what is the deadline for entries?

what about if we have a group of people make the films then a group of people rotoscope the films

maybe

17. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    4 posts up dude. He said the deadline is Nov 1st and rotoscoping is optional. If you don't want to roto it yourself but would like other people to if possible, your deadline is Oct 18th.

18. jc_stratus

Sep 8, 2002
    thanks alot ryan :)

19. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    I highly doubt there will be many people willing to volunteer their time for rotoscoping alone with some stranger. But If you wish to partner up like neszis and Lord Homer did on the 2nd 72hr. fan film then it should be allowed.

Oh, and I call dibbs on Ryan! :D

20. No-ShadowKick

No-ShadowKick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    I have been thinking of participating in the contest ,but i have a little problem understanding all of this . Its many posts with bits of information in every post about how its going to be.
    So could someone please sum up all this so i can get a clear view of whats going on(i mean Deadline,rues etc.)

Thx

21. jc_stratus

Sep 8, 2002
    the people who can do roto could pick from the movies

22. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Well I do agree a bit with no-shaddowkick, whereas we have been talking about this for days trying to understand it all could be tough for a newcommer.

I think we should retire 'formulating a choreography competition' and create a thred entitled '1st TFN Choreography Competition'.

23. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Good idea, WD. Yes, I'd be in... if we had a camera. Or an analog capture card :S I'll see what I can do, but i think I'll have to sit this one out. I'll keep you all posted, though.

24. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Where do you live Darth Arjuana?

25. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    How about everyone just focus on their films and quit trying to make everything a competition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.