main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Forsaken and Begotten - Chapter 33: When One Door Closes.... *COMPLETE* Quick note 2-21

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arldetta, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Great post. Poor Obi :( Can't wait for the next post, I love this fic!

2. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Great post! :) You made my day!
    Obi-Wan is the victim in a political propaganda against the Jedi. Can't see a way out for him. :(
    In his broken state of mind he'll not be able to defend himself properly. Even if given the opportunity to return to the Jedi it is likley he would refuse. :_|
    PLEASE POST SOON!

3. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    I liked how you skimmed through the testimonies. It maintains the feel that Obi-Wan is comatosed.

With Obi-Wan's current numbed state, it's hard to tell how he'll react to being forced to testify. The climax building though. Will we finally know the details of his captivity? No more single-word descriptions or skirting the issues?
    :eek:

4. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    You're doing a wonderful job with the trial Arldetta. I can't wait to see Obi-Wan's testimony.

5. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Wow, Thank you all so very much for the replies!!! :D You made me very happy. ;)

I haven't done this in a while, so bare with me. :)

PadawanKitara - Yes, the trial won't be too long, but it will definitly be significant! [face_devil]

dianethx -You should count yourself lucky to already know what the next part holds. :p As far as 31 goes, I'm a bit stuck again, I must confess. [face_blush] I wrote Sano's closing arguement and realized he did a dang good job. Now I'm trying to figure out what Gi's going to say and just haven't been able to. *sigh* I'm hopeing the Muse returns soon. I'm really getting close to finishing this book. ;) (after this chap I'm at 183 pgs. hehe. ) I'll check with you later.

Kynstar - THANK YOU!! :D Yeah, Mort did confess he liked it to an extent, but that last line in his section is really significant. "And as much as the anger and hate filled his voice at that moment, Griven would soon realize that Obi-Wan understood pain more than he could ever know." He, along with everyone else, is going to find out a bit of Obi's past. Maybe he was possessed or something when he attacked Obi, or maybe he's just mean. You'll just have to wait and see what happens to him. [face_devil]

jedimommie2 - Um, well, I think the next section has a rather intense scene. This was stressful, but the next......well, I'll let you guys decide.

badpad - Thanks for delurking!! :D And Thank You!! Sano has his issues, but when one is desperate, one must go to extremes. I think next chap may need some tissues. But as I said before, I'll let you guys judge for yourselves. [face_devil] Bis spater!

AnariaZar-Rel - Thanks! I really want to make a banner that says, "Poor Obi." My Hubby refues to let me get personalized plates that say it. :_| *sigh* If all goes well, next fri. :)

jeday - So gald I could make people happy!! :D I like making people happy. It makes me happy. ^_^ It's true Obi's mental state does effect him, but Gi has a good way to get around that. Well, good for the case anyway. [face_devil] And he's not considering going back to the Jedi now. Cross your fingers I get done by Fri. ;)

Jee-dai - Thanks. I was both worried about that aspect and very happy with it. I really didn't want to regurgitate the whole story again in an embellished manner with full detail and such. I wanted to move the story along, and I was really thinking of movies and tv when they just want the main points out. So that's what I tried to do. As an answer to your questions, yes... and no. Um, you'll see what I mean next post.

Sheila - Thank you!! :D I must admit I had fun with it for a whle. It was flowing great until the end. *sigh* Hopefully I can whack that muse back into shape soon and get 31 finished. Then I should be able to flow again. ;)

Well all, I know I mentioned many times thta I wanted to be finished by me birfsday, but I don't think that's going to happen. At this point, I'm hoping to be finished with the draft by then. Which I think is much more feesable.

Thanks all for reading, you make a girl happy!! ^_^

6. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Well done. I can't wait to see what Obi has to say when he takes the stand.

7. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    Sorry for the delay folks, like I said, we've been having internet trouble as of late. We're hoping to get the router situation resolved soon, so my log on time has been much more random.

Any way, I said I was going to do this so here goes:

Warning: This chap may be a bit intense. At least it was for me and I was writing it. ;) I felt it best to warn you, nothing overtly graphics but the insinuations could be just as bad. If I'm over doing it it's for the sake of being cautious.

Thanks again for reading. :D And watch out for that last step, it may be a bit tricky. :p [face_devil]

p.s. this it a rather long chap. Hope you all likey. ^_^
    -------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 30: Bare all Truths

?I?m too far from home, it takes far too much energy.
    I cannot afford to, no one will ever see me.

These excuses, how they?re so familiar
    They?ve kept me blocked, they?ve kept me small
    They?ve kept me safe inside my shell.

Bringing these into the light shakes their foundation
    and clears my sight
    And now my imagination is the only thing that limits the bar
    and it?s rise to the heights.? Excuses (Alanis Morrisette ? So Called Chaos)

A guard came to stand next to him and motioned for him to rise. Glancing over at Guillaume, who nodded, Obi-Wan got to his feet. Still bound he was lead over to the witness chair. The tension in the Courtroom rose tenfold in the silence. Looking directly at the youth, Sauro?s booming voice shattered the quiet but in the same moment fueled the tension. ?You have heard what the others have said. And there have been some variations of what happened on both the Koska and the Zenah. Now I want to know, are you a ?Jedi? who tells the truth? Or are you going to deny it all like a common criminal??

Obi-Wan sighed and cast his gaze down. ?Why deny something that has already been confessed??

?What do you mean by that??

?I already told Mister Griven, Padawan Bant, Master Jinn and Master Gallia, as well as Official Martorana and Mister Tavis that I killed Kiiv Griven.? Obi-Wan glanced at each in turn as he spoke. ?It was an accident but that still doesn?t change the fact that a man is dead because of me.? When he spoke his tone was somber and abnormally calm.

Sauro turned away disgusted for a moment before spinning back around to glare at the boy. ?I can?t believe you can sit here so calmly and talk about death. A death that you caused. Are you going to tell me next how remorseful you feel about it?? The man crossed his arms as he waited for the answer.

?I could, but you would not believe me.?

?And what makes you think so??

?You already hold a grudge against me because of my Jedi background. Even if I were innocent, you would not believe me.?

Sauro took a threatening step forward. ?Are you accusing me of neglecting my position as a Barrister because of a personal vendetta??

?No,? Obi-Wan met the man?s gaze squarely, ?but it is your vendetta that brought you here to make sure that I suffer.? Then in an even softer voice, he added, ?Not that I mind.?

The pair battled wills. Sauro was furious that he was blatantly accused by the rogue before him of his private war. Even though many already knew of his dislike, the fact is, that he had never been accused outright in the middle of a trial before. Never in his career had one person riled him up so much. Inwardly, he agreed with the boy on one point. He wanted him to suffer, especially now after this humiliation. He was about to voice the contrary in order to keep face, but he was abruptly cut off.

?Arbitrator, I object to this tangent.? Guillaume had been watching very closely and when the discussion began taking a turn for the worse, he hoped he could find a way to intervene. With Obi-Wan?s current state of mind, he worried that the boy may try to dig his own grave. And this direction could very well give him the opportunity to do so. So, Gi cut it off before it could get too far. ?We are here for specif

8. AnariaZar-Rel

May 8, 2004
    :_| Poor Obi-Wan! Such a sad post. He really has given up. I could really feel the emotions he was going through, the pain. Great writing - Arg, what a place to stop! Hope the next post is soon, such a great fic!

9. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
  10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wonderful when I read it earlier and even better with those little extra touches. Absolutely wonderful yet again Ari. I especially liked that Gi made him take his tunic off so that the Panel could see what he had really been through.

Looking forward to seeing the next chapter!!!! [face_Grin]

11. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    That was so... :_| Please hurry with that next chap.

12. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    :_| You ain't kidding! Man Obi telling those parts sure did hurt him! Those flashbacks... poor kid! And this taking off the collar and putting it back on! How cruel! And him looking to Qui... how sweet and touching!! Qui will obviously get the backwash/overflow from Obi probably as soon as the collar is released. The pain and anguish is gonna be really immense. I wouldn't be surprised if not all the Force-sensitive folks (other Jedi too of course) feel what Obi is feeling.

GREAT post!! Can't wait for the next one! I liked how you got baddy lawyer to 'pale' slightly! :D serves the ba..*ahem* serves the man right. hehehe *snrk* nearly slipped there! ;)

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Tear jerker :_| but a good job

14. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
  15. Cookietribble

Cookietribble Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    *delurks*
    Great Story!!!! I absolutely love it!!! [face_love]
    Poor Obi...and I do NOT like this Sauro guy...:mad:

*muttering to herself*
    But if I get him between my hands... torturing MY Obi like that...:_|
    (Yeah,I`m an Obi-Fan![face_love])

Please post again soon!!
    Can`t wait!! :D

Cookietribble

P.S.: Arldetta,do you speak Japanese? Just noticed the "Domo" at the end of some posts,so I guessed...:confused:

16. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    Howdy folks. I have a favour to ask of you guys. Apparently the FF newsletter wants to inverview me, Force only knows why? Anyway, if you have any particular questions you would like to ask me please PM them to leia_naberrie by Fiday, June 25th.

Thank you in advance and I hope you enjoy my responses. ;)

And if you are all good little readers I will hopefully have the next chap by fri. It doesn't need much touching up so that shouldn't stall me. Let's just hope the stupid internet conection works for me. ;)

Well, catch you all later. :D

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Woo-hoo!! They want to interview you, eh? Ummm questions I'll see what I can whip up tomorrow at work :D prob the main ones most folk ask fellow Star Wars fans ;) besides a few personal but not to deeply personal ones of course hehehe.

Glad to hear ya might be able to post Fri! :D

18. jinny_badpad

jinny_badpad Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2004
    Wow! Nice cliffy Arldetta!! :D
    Admit it, there's a little, mean cliffy- [face_devil] living deep within wherever your great ideas come from, eager to torture your poor readers whenever it's possible... ;) ;)

and next door's sign says: "Mr. Obi-Torturer", doesn't it?

But now I have a better feeling about the outcome of this trial. :)

And hey, I should be the one saying thank you for sharing your great story!!! :* [:D]

Ummm... next post tomorrow?! Can't wait...

BadPad

P.S.: Nearly forgot: Vielen Dank!!! :D

19. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I was reading this on my PDA, just relaxing in bed, when I suddenly screamed, How could you torture poor Obi like that, he'll surely go mad now. 7, also 7one

20. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    I was just getting ready to post my next chapter and I saw that I missed an update while I was on vacation, so I had to stop and read it! All I can say is that was incredible. I could feel Obi-Wan's anguish pooring off of him. You have a special gift with words and I am thankful that you share them with us. Looking forward to the next post.

21. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    I know this is a little late for the east coasters but I am posting on Friday, like I hoped, for the Pacific peeps at least. ;)

Well, here's another hard core chap for you all. Enjoy!! :D

-------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 31: Closing Arguments

?I can?t have it all, I have to, they want me to.
    And I can?t let them down, I will never be happy.

These excuses how they?ve served me so well
    They?ve kept me safe, they?ve kept me stuck
    They?ve kept me locked in my own cell

These excuses how they?re so familiar
    They?ve kept me blocked, they?ve kept me small
    They?ve kept me safe inside my shell? - Excuses (Alanis Morrisette - So Called Chaos)

The world around him bloomed, as if a refreshing breeze blew past. The sensations he had taken for granted filled him. If he lived through this nightmare, he vowed to cherish all things, all feelings, all sensations. The group of Jedi shown brightly in his mind. He could feel a tendril of the Force connecting him to Bant, her presence a soothing balm to his soul. He could even feel a thin thread that connected him with Qui-Gon now. He hadn?t noticed it before but it felt right, even comforting.

In the corner of his mind?s eye he sensed the presence of the others in the room. Their emotions varied. Some still held onto a sliver of anger and frustration. Others were empathetic to his cause. While many of them seemed lost and unable to focus. Obi-Wan himself could not settle on a single feeling. The loving power that flowed through him was intoxicating. And he was addicted to it, like all Jedi. But as much as he craved it, being torn from it?s presence scared him to death. The first time was a shock, but he coped despite his injuries. He gladly endured it, if it meant his family?s safety. The second, he willingly allowed the change. But this time, this time he neither wanted it nor wished for it.

He prayed to be free of the damn collar once and for all the next time it fell from his neck. Yet that was not the present case. No. He would be subjected to the torture of tasting forbidden fruit before it was ripped from his grasp again. The humiliation of losing what filled him with life but denied death. He would have accepted any form of punishment except this. Pain is tolerable. But not this, not this voidless torment that drove one to despair. Dread filled him, as the pending cruelty loomed ever closer.

Meanwhile, the rest of the courtroom watched in awe at the dramatic change. Once pale and thin cheeks blushed, giving off a healthy glow. Dulled sea-washed eyes sparkled with vibrant colour and the onset of tears. His chest heaved a contented sigh, breathing in more than just air. The subdued youth suddenly looked like life itself had been restored to his slender form. A wary smile played at the corners of tender lips. The tears that clung to ginger lashes finally managed to break free, tracing a line down smooth skin. In a word he looked - beautiful. Not that he looked horrid before. But mere seconds ago he seemed more like a walking corpse, an ghost of the beauty that normally shined through.

Guillaume watched the attendants to gauge their reactions. He was pleased with what he saw. Everything he had planned was coming to fruition and he prayed that it would not all be in vain. He let the minute slip by, biding his time for what must be done. At last, he looked up at Osei-Tutu. ?Arbitrator, as you can see the collar had stripped the boy of what his body craves most. Now, you will see what happens when the Force is torn from him. I request that Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn be allowed to assist Obi-Wan should he need it.?

?Granted.?

Gi looked toward his friend who thanked him with his eyes only. The other Jedi seemed to shrink back in their seats. The Masters had some of the younger initiates leave the room while they prepared to replace the collar. Obi-Wan was permitted to step down and stand just in front of the witness chair. His movements were stiff and tense

22. AnariaZar-Rel

May 8, 2004
    Yay, another post! Always the highlight of my day :) Another sad post, poor Obi-Wan given that brief reunion with the Force, only to have the collar put back on moments later :_| After all that was said, I wonder what the jury will decide? Hope the next post isn't too far away, can't wait to see what happens!

23. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhhh I'm glad he forgave Gi! And Qui.. poor Qui! He feels for Obi..

Man oh man... Obi has sorta given up, eh? Well it came across to me that he thinks he's gonna get the worst of it.

Loved your detailing of the collar being removed and being replaced... man that was exquisite!! Excellent play on the emotional outlook there!

Great work!! Loved it!

24. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Get yourself back here right now and post the next chapter! Evil cliffie but still a great chapter. The description of Obi-Wan's torment with replacing the collar was incredible. Please don't give up Obi!

25. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    Obi-Wan thinks he lost his right to receive respect and love. :_|
    Justice, Obi-Wan? We'll see... :( [face_worried]
    Great,great post! Can't wait for more. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.