main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forshadowing in episode I

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ultimatejedi90, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    well the only one I can think of is

Obi-Wan Kenobi: what if this plan fails master we could be stuck here a very long time.

post more if you know of any.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DeltaAlphaRhoTheta

DeltaAlphaRhoTheta Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2003
    Hey, that's pretty good, I hadn't thought of that before. There's tons of other intra and extra movie forshadowing. But most of what I can think of is super-obvious and not worth writing down.

3. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon enter the room on the TF battle ship Obi-Wan mentions that he senses something but it's not related to the TF mission, so it could've been that he sensed the Sith.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. DeltaAlphaRhoTheta

Jul 31, 2003
    Yeah, I thought that he was sort of sensing the entire evil plot that was going to unfold over the next couple of decades. That scene also sets up a dichotomy between the two philosophies of the Qui-Gon and the Yoda. The Yoda is always trying to, (but always seeming to fail to), see the future. The Qui-Gon just focuses on the present. The Qui-Gon is trying to teach his philosophy to the Obi-Wan and the Obi-Wan is caught in the middle of his two teachers.

5. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I always liked it when Palpatine patts Anakin on the shoulder and says, "And you young Skywalker, we'll look upon your career with great interest."

6. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Yeah, I always thought that when Obi-Wan sensed something, it was the Sith and everything. I think its really cool that he was the first Jedi to sense anything like this. :D

Another huge foreshadowing line is when Anakin says "No one call kill a Jedi." Qui-Gon looks very serious, and leans back in his chair and says, "I wish it were so." :(

7. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Other forshadowing:

Qui-Gon Jinn: "From your point of view, Obi-Wan"

Yoda: "Clouded this boys future is. Grave danger I fear in his training"

8. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    D'oh! I found tons of foreshadowing in my last viewing, which was like a month ago, but now I've forgotten most of it. Luckily, I may just watch it again tomorrow, and I'll take down some notes.

I have always liked the "No one can kill a Jedi" line. Great foreshadowing, especially in Anakin's case.

Cometgreen

9. DeltaAlphaRhoTheta

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh, the "no one can kill a jedi line" has two forshadows. I always thought it just forshadowed Qui-Gon's death/Qui-Gon's desire to retain his identity post-death; but, it also forshadows Vader's killing all the Jedi.

10. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    It also foreshadows Obi-Wan retaining his identity. Vader couldn't kill him.

11. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    3P0 saying that no one will get him onto one of those dreadful starships ;P

Greedo getting pummeled by Anikan and then being told something to the affect of "if you keep looking for trouble you'll end up a bad way."

Then, not so much foreshadowing, but something of interest: When Yoda meets Anakin, he says "I sense much fear in you." In ESB, when Yoda rejects the idea of training Luke, young Skywalker says "I'm not afraid." I just thought this was neat.

12. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    When Yoda and Mace were talking at Qui-Gon funeral about the two Sith rule and thaan the camera pans to Palpatine.

13. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Oooh! I remember a nice, subtle one:

When they arrive on Coruscant, Padme and the Naboo start walking to a transport. Qui-gon and Obiwan stay back to talk with Chancellor Valorum. In the middle is young Anakin. He looks at Qui-gon, asking if he should go with Padme or stay with the Jedi. Anakin ends up going with Padme.

You can look at it anyway you want, but I always thought it was a subtle hint that, when the time comes, Anakin will choose Padme over the Jedi. Only EpIII will tell...

It should also be noted that Palpatine was in that transport as well. ;)

Cometgreen

14. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Wow, that's a good one.

15. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    In the middle is young Anakin. He looks at Qui-gon, asking if he should go with Padme or stay with the Jedi. Anakin ends up going with Padme.

[[That scene wasn't in the threatrical release btw, it was added in the DVD. I really like Anakin's reaction in that scene too.]]

16. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "If the Sith could not have returned without us knowing it." Or something like that.

Hence the title..The Phantom Menance.

17. ultimatejedi90

Feb 24, 2003
    >Greedo getting pummeled by Anikan and then being told something to the affect of "if you keep looking for trouble you'll end up a bad way." <

doh I forgot that one

18. ultimatejedi90

Feb 24, 2003
    You can look at it anyway you want, but I always thought it was a subtle hint that, when the time comes, Anakin will choose Padme over the Jedi. Only EpIII will tell...

wow that's a good one I never thought of that one good eye.

19. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Well, during the end celebration scene, the seemingly triumphant music playing is simply the Emperor's Theme being sung by children. This foreshadows the point that while the Republic won in the short term, in reality, everything that transpired in TPM worked out exactly the way Palpatine wanted. Therefore, by the end of Ep.1, Palps is now well on his way to gaining control of the galaxy and destroying the Jedi.

20. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    "the Emperor´s Theme being sung by children."

That´s a cool one.
    But if you watch´em epI-VI it will be
    "the happy celebration song at the end of epI
    turned evil".

21. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I like when Obiwan says, "Why do I get the sense that we have picked up another pathetic lifeform?" - That just forshadows his relationship with Anakin nicely.

ON a side note, here is the most twisted piece of forshadowing I have ever heard:

From Pulp Fiction:

JULES: Does he look like a *****?

MARCELUSSE'S BUSINESS PARTNER: What?

Jules shoots him in the shoulder.

JULES: DOES-HE-LOOK-LIKE-A-*****?!!??

MARCELUSS'S BUSINESS PARTNER: No.

JULES: Then why did you try to **** him like a *****?

MARCELUSS'S BUSINESS PARTNER: We didn't, no.

JULES: YES YOU DID!

MARCELUSS'S BUSINESS PARTNER: NO.

JULES: YES YOU DID!! And Marcellus Wallace dont like being ****ed, except by Mrs. Wallace.

22. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    I always liked the, "Fear is teh path to the Dark Side! Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate, leads to suffereing. " It basicly shows the whole life of Anakin right there.

23. Antbert

Antbert Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2001
    "the Emperor´s Theme being sung by children."

All the times that I have listened to the scores and I never noticed this.

I suppose this means that I will have to listen to them again!!

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I can't believe no one's posted this one yet..

Obi-wan - "Why do I get this feeling that you'll be the death of me?"

25. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    no one's posted that yet as it's in AOTC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.