main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fortune and Glory (Sequel to My Name is Myra)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mirax Terrik, Nov 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I can do that too: UP!! :)

2. PaysonTerrik

PaysonTerrik Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2000
    Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!!! And what are *you* thankful for boys and girls? I?m thankful for this really cool Fan Fic and the fact that more will be coming soon! :)

3. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    Just checking in (and sending this back to page one). Did everyone gain 5 pounds yesterday? I think I ate my weight in pie!

4. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Here's something else to be thankful for, a new post! :)

Enjoy!

?Never letting up on the customers, eh?? he said, a trace of amusement running through his voice.

I was standing near his table, as a waiter might to take an order. I could smell the sour ale sitting in his mug. Wrinkling my nose, I tried to ignore it.

?Hello, stranger,? I said, tilting an invisible hat towards him.

He shook his head slowly. ?Very funny. Now answer, please.?

I moved towards the booth seat across from him. ?It was his choice to hold my payment. He has been in this business long enough to expect what to happen. Not my fault that he expected different just because I?m a woman,? I countered, sitting down at the booth. I traced the smooth surface of the table. Feeling the coolness absorbing into my hand, calming me down after my earlier meeting.

?Don?t you think that breaking his arm at the end was cruel on your part?? His question came as a gentle probe, but the words still stung.

I looked up from the table and found his brown eyes searching mine. /Looking for traces of evil, Wedge?/ He sincerely had to have doubted me to ask me my intentions. I wanted to put him at ease. I had to reason it out with him.

?I wasn?t being cruel, I was being cautious. I had to make sure that he wouldn?t follow me and decide to balance my account once and for all.?

Wedge leaned back, his messy brown hair falling into his eyes. The hooded look gave him a mysterious air.

Immediately I got uncomfortable. Silently I laughed at myself. /Come on, Mirax. This is Wedge. You know him like the inside of your ship./

?I thought that was what back up was for,? he said.

?I can?t always rely on you.?

Between strands of hair, his eyes narrowed. ?Myra, I?m not your father. I?m not going to disappear on you.?

I grimaced. Annoyed at him for using my childhood name. ?This isn?t about Father. I got used to the fact that he?s not around. I got used to that fact even before he went to Kessel.?

?Then why don?t you trust me??

I was jarred from that simple remark. How could I not trust him? I must trust him. It wasn?t possible for me not to. He was Wedge, infallible to the end. I?ve always trusted him.

?I do trust you,? I said.

Wedge stared at me to stop. I took that time to try and see things his way. I knew that I trusted him always to be truthful. Always to be the same. Always to be there when I needed him. That wasn?t the issue with me, I knew I trusted him. I looked the other way. Why would he think I didn't trust him?

?Myra, I can tell you?re thinking about it. You?re not a stupid woman so I?ll cut the small talk and get to the point. You don?t ask for my help any more. You have completely lost your faith in everyone. Including me.?

/What?/ I stared at him. What he was saying couldn?t be true. I have always relied on him to be there to pull me out of trouble in case it rose up. What he probably didn?t realize was that I liked to take care of things by myself. I didn?t want to rely on anyone, they were there to help, not be my limb.

I stated myself again. ?I didn?t need your help.?

He didn?t buy it, not that I expected him to. He was stuck behind his perception. ?No, you could have ended this with less violence. You could have simply asked me to watch your back-?

?I *did*.?

?-and you could have trusted my abilities. Instead you chose to lose a slice of your humanity. No, you?re not even trying to trust people any more.? He said all of this with absolute conviction. His doubt cast a pain in my side. It was terrible, but I let my face show nothing. I wanted to yell at him how he was twisting everything, but mostly I just wanted him to stop.

?I?d rather not be talking about this in public.? I tilted my head sharply at the crowd. He didn?t know how much he had hurt me. Whether from my concealment or from his lack of insight, he didn?t know. If he continued, he would end up with a sobbing wreck in his hands.

Wedge snarled, I jerked back, surprised at his reaction

5. mara03

mara03 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2000
    Wow! What a great post! It's interesting to explore how an intelligent smuggler like Mirax still managed to stay a kind and sweet person by the time of the X-Wing series. She must have had moments like this in her past.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jen

6. Corell

Corell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2000
    Great job Mirax! Post more!

7. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

8. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    Just moving this to the top in case anyone wanted some good holiday reading material!

9. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Great post!

10. Corell

Jul 5, 2000
  11. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Excellent post, Mirax! I've always liked Wedge... hehe...

12. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    So far, this is shaping up to be about as good a story as its prequel-- and I've got no qualms about this story's title, either! ;) You've done a good job of characterizing Mirax; I think you have a very good writing style.

Anxiously awaiting more... :)

13. Dark_Soldier

Dark_Soldier Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    This is really great!!!
    I love it!
    Post soon!

14. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    IA-63152 checking in. Great post, mirax. You keep up the good work and we'll keep up the thread. :)

UP!

15. Corell

Jul 5, 2000
  16. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    This is fabulous! I'm sorry I missed it last night. I love the way Wedge helps her; it fits perfectly into the way I see them. Great post Mirax!

17. Bean_V

Bean_V Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2000
    Who does Wedge think he is? Her daddy?

18. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    up Up up! So no one else can miss it!

Is it too soon to start begging for more, Mirax?

19. Dark_Soldier

Dark_Soldier Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Post soon!
    top!

20. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Pleeeaaase post soon! Please pretty please!?!

21. Ejedir2

Ejedir2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2000
    *grin* WAHOOOOO! MORE WEDGE! MORE MIRAX! WAHOOOO!

22. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    So many loyal fans, so few story posts. . . what?s this world coming to? ;-)

23. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Eek! Sorry, I don't mean to leave you all! My connection crashed yesterday, and it's my dad's birthday today. :D We're going out to celebrate, but my editors will be getting something tonight. I promise! :)

24. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    That's so sweet of you, Mirax! Tell your dad that your demanding fans will let you have the night off in honor of the occasion. Well, I'll stop bugging you anyway. :)

25. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    woohoo! Have fun Mirax. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.