main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Fortune's Gate ... Brand new chapter posted 2/19/13!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by geo3, Jan 6, 2009.

1. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well, hello there! And thank you for all of your most interesting replies!

GeneralKenobi7 Great update! Padmé really got Obi-Wan upset this time. And I still want to know what exactly happened between Anakin and Obi-Wan... Please update soon!

Thanks very much! Everything will unfold little by little... by little...:p

laurethiel1138 Ah... Can it possibly be because the Council is seeing certain things? I mean, it's not as though they couldn't have asked any other Jedi than Obi-Wan to be Padmé's bodyguard. They had to know that the two would quite naturally end up discussing the "good ol' times", and eventually bring up the subject of Ani.

So now I wonder... Had the Council intended all along for Padmé and Obi-Wan to go to Tatooine? If so, how much do they actually know about Ani's situation? Did they keep tabs on him without telling Obi-Wan? And why would they do (or not do) so?

These are all good questions. Very good questions....! [face_whistling]

Keep thinking that way, my lad. There are always more points of view on a situation than you can count, and things are not always as they seem. Ani should keep that piece of advice close to heart, for he's about to embark on a journey rife with pitfalls...

That is a very great truth!

EGKenobi Great update. Although I hope Ani get's to meet with Obi-Wan, and Dooku doesn't get his claws in to him first...

One can only hope... ;)

Ocelotl_Nesto fine post... I wonder if Obi/Padme will arrive on Tattooine just to miss Anakin. Nice Irony.

Thanks! And that?s dramatic irony, I hope! ;)

MoAngel What [EGKenobi] said! Oh and of course I want Ani to meet up with Senator Amidala too.

I think it?s safe to say that he will meet up with the Senator in this story. :p

organista ...deep breath in... and slow exhale....it's good to be back

How wonderful to see you again! Welcome!

First of all - what a great idea to take the toys out of the box and play anew!

Thanks! I wasn?t too sure at first, but now we?re chugging along nicely...

I've been wondering about your Anakin and his inner dynamics in this new scenario. He seems to start just as the canon one in TPM. Almost OC becoming in time the main drive of the whole story. We've all seen how the Jedi's long-drawn subjugation of this life force had ended there. So I just can't help myself but wonder how his short training (or rather lack of the above mentioned version) will affect him. It's obvious he resents them he's a former slave after all. I think his slave complex is the first shadow imprinted in his soul. It seems that all his life he just wanted to prove the whole universe wrong about that terrible fact - once a slave, always a slave (says good, ole geo's paply ). I think Jedi training was just another type of shackles for him so maybe it's for the better...? Well, I'll leave it for now with this only and just wait for the story to unfold...

One of the things that tempted me back into this playground was the idea of exploring how, if at all, things might have changed in the GFFA if that one ?little thing? ? the Anakin-as-Jedi thing- had changed. Of course, in the process, the first thing I bumped into was a different Anakin - still recognizable, but there is something tightly closed, deeply cautious about him, even though he is no longer a slave and has, by objective standards, achieved quite a lot. I find that he is resisting being coaxed out where we can see him (which is the way Obi-Wan behaved toward your poor beleaguered author in the previous series of stories, but less so in this one. Odd.) But we?ll get at him. Yes, we will!

However this surely gives Ani/Padme relations many possibilities (Padmé pursuing Anakin that's definitely something)

I?m really having fun with this. :D

if only the sith won't interfere...

Well, you know, it?s what the Sith DO....

But I have to admit that your Obi-wan is so far the

2. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Well, back to the story ....

Even the people who are not so fond of Anakin want him to stay. And all the little subterfuges and grumps to try to keep him with them. So human. Will he understand this and set it against the Jedi?s casting out? Or is he unaware of the love that is contained within the roughness?

The one person who is closest to him, does not hold him down. Yet strangely he does not feel cast out by her. So interesting, the convolutions of the heart.

Perhaps it is about feeling that one?s deepest wishes and needs are seen and accepted and loved. Is this the crux of feeling wanted vs feeling cast out?

All of the little tender interactions between Anakin and his mother are so beautifully drawn. I am so happy that in this AU they have these moments and years together. Does Anakin ever think to himself how he would have had none of this if the Jedi had kept him?

Shmi insists to Anakin that he take 3-PO. And so they will fare forth, like the proverbial boy and his dog. The creation of his hand and heart: companion, witness and chorus for his hero?s journey beyond the boundaries of what he has known. How wise his mother is.
    (And don?t worry Anakin, you will get your astromech ? all in good time, my pretty, all in good time! :p )

The quest is set:

?I have to go, Mom.?

?I know.?

?I have to find out if it was me... or them.?

?Not you,? Shmi said firmly. ?Jedi ... were... wrong.?

Anakin closed his eyes again. If he could finally get an answer to the question that had eaten away at him for ten long, years ... What was so wrong with me? ...

then maybe, finally, it would stop burning away in his heart, smoldering at the edges of everything he thought and did.

As for Padme and Obi-wan, wow they are each guarding themselves so hard from each other that there is almost no communication. They are already divided. Conquering will be child?s play. Unless maybe Eirtae can bridge the gulf that separates them. I hope so!!

Regarding the debate about crushes:
    Said it way better than I could!

The quotes ~

"The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
    Hath had elsewhere its setting, ..." Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

"But he whose initiation is recent, ..." Plato, The Phaedrus

3. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    ratna Well, back to the story ....

Even the people who are not so fond of Anakin want him to stay. And all the little subterfuges and grumps to try to keep him with them. So human. Will he understand this and set it against the Jedi?s casting out? Or is he unaware of the love that is contained within the roughness?

The one person who is closest to him, does not hold him down. Yet strangely he does not feel cast out by her. So interesting, the convolutions of the heart.

Perhaps it is about feeling that one?s deepest wishes and needs are seen and accepted and loved. Is this the crux of feeling wanted vs feeling cast out?

All of the little tender interactions between Anakin and his mother are so beautifully drawn. I am so happy that in this AU they have these moments and years together. Does Anakin ever think to himself how he would have had none of this if the Jedi had kept him?

Your thoughtful open questions are so central to the heart of this story that I?m hard-pressed to come up with a concise reply. I think of such questions as a kind of sketch map for exploration as the story unfolds. Hopefully, they will be reflected, and answered, in the tale as a whole. [Is there a ?fingers crossed? smiley?]

Shmi insists to Anakin that he take 3-PO. And so they will fare forth, like the proverbial boy and his dog. The creation of his hand and heart: companion, witness and chorus for his hero?s journey beyond the boundaries of what he has known. How wise his mother is.

I love the picture of ?the boy and his dog,? but even more, your lyrical description of 3PO as ?companion, witness and chorus...?

(And don?t worry Anakin, you will get your astromech ? all in good time, my pretty, all in good time!)

:D

The quest is set:

It is, and as DarthBreezy pointed out, the question at the heart of it is not unique to Anakin...

As for Padme and Obi-wan, wow they are each guarding themselves so hard from each other that there is almost no communication. They are already divided. Conquering will be child?s play. Unless maybe Eirtae can bridge the gulf that separates them. I hope so!!

I hope so, too. I think they could work very well together.

Regarding the debate about crushes: ...Geo3...Said it way better than I could!

You know, I caught your post before you snipped it. I?m sad that you did ? it was a lovingly done, fulsome articulation of what I tried with a couple of throwaway lines. My planned response was, ?What she said!!?

Are you sure you wouldn?t want to restore it? I like yours better... :p

~

Today?s post is the first part of Chapter 7. I will post the second part on Tuesday of next week, and after that, the story will go on a short hiatus because your humble author is goin? travelin? for a couple of weeks or so ? I?m still not sure how long for.

So without further ado, here is today?s post...

~

Chapter 7. Departures (Part 1)

?With all due respect, Masters ...?

?Angry, you are, Obi-Wan.?

?Master Yoda, I would like to think that I have better control over myself than that.

?Very angry, you are.?

The holo-image was crystal clear. Obi-Wan could make out every line in the wizened Jedi Master?s shimmering blue face. Beside him, Master Windu?s countenance was a smooth indigo mask with glittering eyes. Mindful that his own image would be every bit as revealing, Obi-Wan barely allowed the muscles in his face to move.

?May I, for the purposes of carrying out my mission more effectively, be allowed to understand why you agreed to Senator Amidala?s proposal??

?Expedient, her proposal was."

Calm.... calm... BE CALM! Obi-Wan stood quietly with his hands tucked into his sleeves.

?Have come at a better time, it could not.?

Exercising control, Obi-Wan waited.

Master Windu took over. ?Obi-Wan, our analysis droids have identified the toxin used in the Senate attacks. It is not a biotoxin as we initially expected, but a synthetic enzyme that acts like a prion, attacking and degradi

4. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Slowly I'm beginning to understand what happened all those years ago (if you believe it or not!):D I certainly can understand why Obi-Wan is angry with the Council and feels betrayed and now they just tell him indirectly to get Anakin to help them? I don't think Anakin would like that...

5. dietcokeani

dietcokeani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't know why, but that simple line put the biggest smile on my face. I love the fast ships and the battles in the GFFA. I love that Anakin is into fixing them up and making droids and all that...it's just so much fun. I can't wait till he blasts off from the planet and explores the new stuff out there.

But I so hope that he doesn't miss Padme's visit........

ps...I'm enjoying the discussion going on and I appreciate you guys taking the time to explain your views in such a mature way. It always fleshes out the story for me and makes this more like a book club community rather than just a story post.

6. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Cool post... replicating toxins... sounds nasty... clever way to get to Tatooine without all the extra dialogue.

thanks for the PM

7. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Great update Geo

Love it, and Obi-Wan heads over to Tatooine...let's hope it's a good trip ;-)

EG

8. magicpebble

magicpebble Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2009
    I read what you've posted so far in one sitting and am looking forward to more!

9. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    ?With all due respect, Masters ...?
    ?Angry, you are, Obi-Wan.?
    ?Master Yoda, I would like to think that I have better control over myself than that."
    ?Very angry, you are.?

There ain't slippin' anything past Yoda, Obi-Wan. Best you remember that...

Calm.... calm... BE CALM! Obi-Wan stood quietly with his hands tucked into his sleeves.

For some reason, I immensely like your Obi-Wan. [face_snickers]

The faces of the Jedi Masters stared out at Obi-Wan from the column of blue. For a moment, the silence was so deep that he wondered whether he?d lost the audio portion of the transmission.

A stark moment of realism, that. When it happens to us, though, as it's audio-only, we have to wonder if we haven't lost the communication altogether.

But, Obi-Wan wondered, if the future changes, doesn?t prophecy change with it?

Very relevant question, Obi-Wan. Though I'm not sure anyone can answer that without doing a full-fledged essay on destiny and free choice... Which, regretfully, I can't do at present.

Obi-Wan struggled to understand what was wanted of him. Master Yoda was right; he had never been given a mission that was so ambiguous, so poorly defined. Something cold fluttered in his stomach.

Oh, stang! Not the "I have a bad feeling about this", again... But then, the GFFA wouldn't be the GFFA without high drama, so...

The practical difficulties of this dual mission ? never mind the personal hell ? took second place to this new and unwelcome image of the entire Jedi Council walking blindly along an unknown path.

To quote Yoda, "disturbing, this is."

And the whole exchange with Eirtaé was just splendid. It brought a huge smile on my face...

?Where am I?? Her voice sounded a little better, too, at least to her own ears.
    ?Sick bay of the transport ship Veritas.?
    [...]
    Padmé stayed still. ?I heard someone say ?Tatooine.??
    ?Yep. In orbit. Waiting for docking instructions.?

Don't go quite yet, Ani! Up there in the sky is the help you want for your mother...
    And Veritas... Quite the appropriate name for the ship.

?Tatooine,? Padmé murmured lazily, her face relaxing into a smile. ?You got us to Tatooine. Don?t know how you managed...?
    ?It wasn?t me alone, My Lady. If it hadn?t been for the Jedi...?
    But Padmé already had drifted into a light, easy sleep.

So Padmé has found solace and Obi-Wan a broader understanding of the situation. Let us just hope they won't out-argue each other while the Galaxy's spinning. Right about now, they desperately need to find some common grounds and cooperate...

Cheers,

Lauré :)

10. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    ?Expedient, her proposal was."
    ?Have come at a better time, it could not.?

I love it when Yoda goes all Taoist. Going with the flow, letting other people act. Yeah!!

?The Outer Rim? Why? The planets of the Outer Rim are widely scattered. They have little political influence and few natural resources.?

?Perhaps. But strategically speaking, if it came to war, the Outer Rim planets would make a formidable asset for the Separatists as a place to hide armies, or to create conflicts that would draw resources away from the Core...?

?Masters, do you really think it will come to war??

The faces of the Jedi Masters stared out at Obi-Wan from the column of blue. For a moment, the silence was so deep that he wondered whether he?d lost the audio portion of the transmission.

?That we do,? Master Yoda said. ?It is something we have foreseen.?

Well, that was news. While rumors of war abounded both within and without the Temple?s walls, to Obi-Wan?s knowledge, no such statement had ever been made openly by a Jedi Council member.

Heh! First law of intelligence in the Art of War: By the time rumors are flying, it's not news any more. By the time rumors are flying, not only is it not news, but it's already happening. Not only is it already happening, but it's too late to stop it. I imagine the Council knows this. I wonder if Padme does? Maybe not. Being a pacifist she may have disdained to learn the Art of War. And so war will come. Know self, know the other, one hundred battles, one hundred victories. If the 'other' is war, one must know it thoroughly otherwise one will not be able to stop or prevent war.

I so feel for Obi-Wan. He is being asked to carry and reconcile so much. And of course the following is my favorite foreboding passage:

... this new and unwelcome image of the entire Jedi Council walking blindly along an unknown path.

Prophecies or no, they don?t know what they are looking for.

They are feeling their way in the dark with a stick.

And I?m the stick!

He gestured toward the door in a way that did not invite dissention. ?After you, Handmaiden Eirtaé.?

A tiny dimple formed on her cheek when she smiled. Graciously she yielded, and preceded him back to the Senator?s apartment.

Yay Eirtae! That's my girl! Repairing the alliance millimeter by millimeter.

I have a feeling this Dax character is going to be very important ....

?Tatooine,? Padmé murmured lazily, her face relaxing into a smile. ?You got us to Tatooine. ..."

Wow, she's really besotted, isn't she? Nah, it's the poison and the drugs. Gotta be. :p

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    And everyone can blame yours truely for this, as I am stealing away your beloved author and dumping her in London, but at least this time, I get to go too.

Master of the understatement, Yoda is! [face_laugh]

[face_laugh] I love these rough outter rim types - no BS!!!

12. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, lots of things happening these last few chapters! I loved the part with Anakin and Shmi experiencing the sunset. And I love how, even sick, Padmé is still determined to have things go her way. :D

... then the accusations began, the child?s voice pitched high in keening, but vibrating with a deep undertone, a second voice, the voice of the Master to them both ... ?You promised, you promised, you PROMISED!...?

Awww...I feel so sorry for Anakin here, and yet it seems so ominous, too...

Great work, as always! =D=

13. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Many thanks to all for your kind replies!

GeneralKenobi7 Slowly I'm beginning to understand what happened all those years ago (if you believe it or not!)

Oh, good! This story wants to reveal these things slowly.

I certainly can understand why Obi-Wan is angry with the Council and feels betrayed and now they just tell him indirectly to get Anakin to help them? I don't think Anakin would like that...

Er... probably not... considering...uh, yeah.

dietcokeani I don't know why, but that simple line put the biggest smile on my face. I love the fast ships and the battles in the GFFA. I love that Anakin is into fixing them up and making droids and all that...it's just so much fun. I can't wait till he blasts off from the planet and explores the new stuff out there.

Oh, thank you! I?m so glad you?re enjoying it!

But I so hope that he doesn't miss Padme's visit........

[face_whistling]

ps...I'm enjoying the discussion going on and I appreciate you guys taking the time to explain your views in such a mature way. It always fleshes out the story for me and makes this more like a book club community rather than just a story post.

I?ve always enjoyed the on-thread discussions most of all. Thanks so much for coming by!

Ocelotl_Nesto Cool post... replicating toxins... sounds nasty... clever way to get to Tatooine without all the extra dialogue.

Thanks! And... yes...:D

EGKenobi Great update Geo....Love it, and Obi-Wan heads over to Tatooine...let's hope it's a good trip ;-)

Thank you!

magicpebble I read what you've posted so far in one sitting and am looking forward to more!

Welcome, and thank you for joining in!

laurethiel1138

There ain't slippin' anything past Yoda, Obi-Wan. Best you remember that...

No kidding!

For some reason, I immensely like your Obi-Wan. [face_snickers]

I admit to being extremely fond of him, too.

A stark moment of realism, that. When it happens to us, though, as it's audio-only, we have to wonder if we haven't lost the communication altogether.

Indeed!

Very relevant question, Obi-Wan. Though I'm not sure anyone can answer that without doing a full-fledged essay on destiny and free choice... Which, regretfully, I can't do at present.

That?s a pity ? I?d love to read it! [face_smile] But yes, some questions have to be left as imponderables or we?d never move on...

Oh, stang! Not the "I have a bad feeling about this", again... But then, the GFFA wouldn't be the GFFA without high drama, so...

To quote Yoda, "disturbing, this is."

It certainly is.

And the whole exchange with Eirtaé was just splendid. It brought a huge smile on my face...

I?m very glad!

Don't go quite yet, Ani! Up there in the sky is the help you want for your mother...

Ah, but perhaps he has other reasons, other things driving him as well...

And Veritas... Quite the appropriate name for the ship.

One hopes its occupants live up to it.

So Padmé has found solace and Obi-Wan a broader understanding of the situation.

... or is it merely drugs and resignation? [face_laugh]

Let us just hope they won't out-argue each other while the Galaxy's spinning. Right about now, they desperately need to find some common grounds and cooperate...

Many fingers need to be crossed...

Thanks so much for your comments!

ratna I love it when Yoda goes all Taoist. Going with the flow, letting other people act. Yeah!!

[face_laugh]

Heh! First law of intelligence in the Art of War: By the time rumors are flying, it's not news any more. By the time rumors are flying, not only is it not news, but it's already happening. Not only is it already happening, but it's too late to stop it. I imagine the Council knows this. I wonder if Padme does? Maybe not. Being a pacifist she may have disdained to learn the Art of War. And so war will come. Know self, know the other, one hundred battles, one hundred victories. If

14. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    This is the second part of Chapter 7, and the last post before a brief hiatus. I?m going to be in London for a couple of weeks, mooching off friends and family and generally having a good time living out of a small carry-on suitcase. When I get back, I?ll need a little time to make sense of a pile of hand-written notes and scraps and to turn them into actual prose. My plan is to post again by the beginning of May ? sooner if the Force is with me. Until then, please don?t be shy about dropping by the thread to comment or ask questions. The world is connected, and so am I...

Happy reading!

Chapter 7 (Part 2) Arrivals

Anakin?s ship was ready to go. It didn?t look any prettier than it had before, but mechanically it was in far better shape. Smugglers liked Corellian YT-700?s because they tolerated endless amounts of tinkering and modification. Anakin had spent a lot of time ripping out previous add-ons that he found inelegant and inefficient. When he was done, he had simplified the old freighter considerably, and improved engine output by a substantial percentage. Its navicomputer was practically new. The forward shields, which had been fried in some kind of a blast, were at a hundred percent again. Its cockpit no long smelled as if something had died in there.

?You gonna name her?? Kit asked. ?A ship should have a name.?

?Nothing comes to mind.? Anakin didn?t have much feeling for the ship one way or another. To him, it was just transport. It, not she.

?How about ?Desert Queen??? Kit suggested, with a grand gesture that he imagined to be courtly. He was quite proud of the work they had done on the old freighter.

?How about not?? Anakin muttered, tightening a bolt with an unnecessarily fierce yank at the idea of naming an ugly old ship after a Queen.

Jobs had been given out. Owen was nominally in charge, but Remy had been given the real work of holding the desert pirates? operations together. The men understood this. They would give Owen the respect, but follow Remy?s lead. Everyone knew how it worked. It didn?t need to be explained.

Compromises had been hashed out. Anakin?s original intention had been to go off unfettered by schedules or promises. His posse had fought him on that so bitterly that in the end, Remy had installed a subspace relay panel in the ridge above the cave, and Anakin had agreed, with a sinking heart, to a regular schedule of brief communications. Just so they would know he was all right.

Goodbyes had been said. Even though Anakin had insisted over and over again that his trip was only a brief hop, that he would be back in no time, a funereal pall hung over the cave, the cantina, and even the farm. Cliegg remained gruff to Anakin?s face, but behind his back could be caught looking around at his holdings as if realizing for the first time what he actually owed to the boy. Shmi had been very brave, but for a little while she had clung to him in a way that made Anakin?s heart ache.

?I?ll be back, I?ll be back,? he?d murmured over and over again. ?You know I will.?

?Go,? she?d mumbled, trying not to cling. ?Go.?

Just before dawn on the day of Anakin?s departure, the docking bay (one of the big ones, meant for a much larger ship) was full of unusually silent people who milled and shuffled around while Anakin went through his final checklist. The shabby protocol droid stood uncertainly at the base of the ship?s ramp until finally Anakin beckoned, and it made its way carefully up the steep incline into the unfamiliar place.

When the droid was inside, Anakin paused in the open hatch. Below him was a sea of upturned faces, expecting, perhaps some words of wisdom or... something. He wasn?t quite sure what they expected. He never had been. All he wanted was to get on with his journey, but their need clutched at him with invisible hands.

He took a breath and looked around at the crowd. ?I won?t be long. You know what to do. Look after things. And each other.? Then quickly, with a brief wave of his hand, he ducked inside the ship and shut the hatch.

In

15. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    So Obi-Wan and Padme are now on Tatooine and Anakin is not? How ironic:rolleyes:
    Well, I'm anxious to read more:D

16. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    I love the irony of Jedi on Tatooine and Anakin away.

I wonder what Obi will say when he finds out about Anakin meeting with Dooku.

17. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    ?How about not?? Anakin muttered, tightening a bolt with an unnecessarily fierce yank at the idea of naming an ugly old ship after a Queen.

Hmmmm, I wonder just what Queen that would be ?.

When the droid was inside, Anakin paused in the open hatch. Below him was a sea of upturned faces, expecting, perhaps some words of wisdom or... something. He wasn?t quite sure what they expected. He never had been. All he wanted was to get on with his journey, but their need clutched at him with invisible hands.

This is so telling.

The ships just sat there, promising all kinds of interesting things to come.

Oh, yeah!

BTW I just LOVE Anakin?s dialogue with 3-PO. It?s so boyish, and just HIM. *sigh*

Great description of hyperspace and how it feels to be there. Love that he heard Obi-wan?s voice reminding him to breathe ?

The spirit of adventure returned full force. I should have done this long ago. I don?t know what stopped me...

That IS the question isn?t it!

? the Force shimmered with the sense of a presence ? a human presence ? of such power that it seemed to fill all of the space between them. One presence. But what a presence. In some ways, it seemed achingly familiar.

Yes!! And just WHY is it so familiar ?.. ?

A young man on an old ship ? what an image that is!

Enjoy your sojourn. May the Force indeed be with you ? as we all are dying to find out what happens next ? (Boy won?t Padme be disappointed when she finds out Anakin is off planet ?. And there?s got to be some kind of scene with her in the cave ? I hope!)

Anticipation!!!

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh no! Just as Obi-Wan and Padme arrive, Anakin leaves and doesn't know they're there - and he's going to be talking to Dooku first, so Obi-Wan won't have much of a chance. As GeneralKenobi7 said, ironic.

And I'm with Obi-Wan - as the Council members get older, they get sketchier (is that even a word?). I don't trust thehm either.

Great chapters!! Have a fabulous time in London - I'm completely jealous, I love it there :)

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I thought I had done a 'proper' reply but I find myself behind the times -

Of course I worry for Anakin, and wonder if there's something in the Force that's clouding his judgement - anxiously awaiting the next update and promise a REAL story quoting reply when I don't have a mushy potato for a brain....

20. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Thanks for the PM's! Sorry I'm late responding!

Chapter 6 --- You know... [face_thinking] When my four year old says "I'm helping" it usually isn't a good thing. Padme end-running around Obi Wan will have some nasty consequences, me thinks... :D Can't wait to read it.

I can very well imagine the steam coming out of Obi Wan's ears... [face_laugh]

Although I do wonder if going to Tatioone was completely Padme's own idea. o_O

Chapter 7 --- Alright, so the JC is a bunch of nicompoops here too. It's nice to know that somethings never change. And if I'm reading this right, Eirtae is Force Sensitive and is trying to out Obi-Wan Obi-Wan? :eek: Nice.

And I agree that Obi is getting the crap-end of the stick. Like always. [face_plain]

It's too funny that Padme had to wait to land until Anakin took off... sheesh... :rolleyes: Figures.

But Anakin is flying into a trap... Dooku isn't asking him in for tea... Hang to what Obi taught you, save you it will!

[face_worried]

Great posts and enjoy your trip!

CJM

21. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    They ran on, once again men with a purpose. Hopefully, they?d have a LOT of news for Anakin when he got back...

I love how excited Kit and Lupie are about this. It's nice to see them have their own little adventure.

Brilliant descriptions of hyperspace and Anakin's feelings about his journey! I felt like I was right there with him.

Great update! =D= Hope you're having a fabulous time on your trip!

22. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    Well, I owe a number of responses, but I am at a loss.

I simply don't quite know what to say, and, that's a good thing.

I am really interested in how the first Dooku-Anakin meeting will turn out, and how Anakin will deal with teh prescence of Obi Wan and Padme in his midst. Methinks that it could go badly...

23. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Hey, GL! Long time no see. We missed you, bra!

24. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Thanks to you all for your good wishes for my trip. I'm back, it WAS great, and I will soon resume posting on this story. I have the next two posts already, and when I have two more, I'll get going again (I like to have a little cushion in case Darth Real Life happens.) I'm aiming for Wednesday, May 6; sooner, if the Muse cooperates.

In the meantime, here are some quick replies to you kind responses.

~

GeneralKenobi7 So Obi-Wan and Padmé are now on Tatooine and Anakin is not? How ironic

Yep, they missed each other. [face_devil]

Well, I'm anxious to read more

I?m glad!

Ocelotl_Nesto I love the irony of Jedi on Tatooine and Anakin away.

:D We?ll see how Tatooine takes to that state of affairs...

I wonder what Obi will say when he finds out about Anakin meeting with Dooku.

We shall see!

ratna

Hmmmm, I wonder just what Queen that would be ?.

To my knowledge, he?s only ever met one... ;)

This is so telling...Oh, yeah!

BTW I just LOVE Anakin?s dialogue with 3-PO. It?s so boyish, and just HIM. *sigh*

[face_blush]

Great description of hyperspace and how it feels to be there. Love that he heard Obi-wan?s voice reminding him to breathe ?
    I?m glad you liked it.

I should have done this long ago. I don?t know what stopped me...That IS the question isn?t it!

Indeed!

? the Force shimmered with the sense of a presence ...Yes!! And just WHY is it so familiar ?.. ?

We shall see!

A young man on an old ship ? what an image that is!

Enjoy your sojourn. May the Force indeed be with you ? as we all are dying to find out what happens next ? (Boy won?t Padmé be disappointed when she finds out Anakin is off planet ?. And there?s got to be some kind of scene with her in the cave ? I hope!)

Thank you very much! Further story threads shall be explored upon my return...

NYCityGurl Oh no! Just as Obi-Wan and Padme arrive, Anakin leaves and doesn't know they're there - and he's going to be talking to Dooku first, so Obi-Wan won't have much of a chance. As GeneralKenobi7 said, ironic.

Yes, it is!

And I'm with Obi-Wan - as the Council members get older, they get sketchier (is that even a word?). I don't trust thehm either.

* sigh* they seem to have disappointed a lot of people...

Great chapters!! Have a fabulous time in London - I'm completely jealous, I love it there

Thanks so much!

DarthBreezy

Of course I worry for Anakin, and wonder if there's something in the Force that's clouding his judgment - anxiously awaiting the next update and promise a REAL story quoting reply when I don't have a mushy potato for a brain....

Thanks!

canadianjedimama

Thanks for the PM's! Sorry I'm late responding!

You?re more than welcome. I?m happy to send them out on request. And... don?t you know? ?Late? is the new ?On Time?!

Chapter 6 --- You know... When my four year old says "I'm helping" it usually isn't a good thing. Padme end-running around Obi Wan will have some nasty consequences, me thinks... Can't wait to read it.

[face_laugh]

I can very well imagine the steam coming out of Obi Wan's ears... Although I do wonder if going to Tatooine was completely Padme's own idea.

For better or worse, they seem to be stumbling in that direction...

Chapter 7 --- Alright, so the JC is a bunch of nicompoops here too. It's nice to know that somethings never change. And if I'm reading this right, Eirtae is Force Sensitive and is trying to out Obi-Wan Obi-Wan? Nice.

:D [face_whistling]

And I agree that Obi is getting the crap-end of the stick. Like always.

Poor guy. People have asked me whether I?m ever going to give him a break... or a hug...:p

It's too funny that Padme had to wait to land until Anakin took off... sheesh... Figures. But Anakin is flying into a trap... Dooku isn't asking him in for tea... Hang to what Obi taught you, save you it will!

W

25. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well, hello there!

It's May 6, and as promised, I'm back on track to posting regularly again. Here we go, with just one more post of setup (so many characters, so little time! :p) before we get to Anakin's first encounter with Dooku (next week, without fail!).

Thanks so much for your patience!

Chapter 8. Arrivals

?Wait just a minute. What?dya think you?re doing??

Dax barely came up to Obi-Wan?s chin in height, but her broad shoulders filled the doorway to the Veritas? small sick bay, effectively blocking it.

?I need to speak with her, Dax.?

Dax didn?t move. ?She?s still sleepin.??

?I?m sorry. I need you to wake her.? Obi-Wan leaned a little closer. ?I know that she is much better. You have done a good job.?

Dax glared at him. Thought it over. Said, ?Wait here.?

The door slid shut in Obi-Wan?s face. It was a while before it slid open again, admitting him at last.

The sickbed took up the center of the cabin. Padmé was propped up in bed looking rested and even faintly rosy. Beside her, the thick pillar of the MedDroid rose up like a fat tree trunk, its multiple appendages arched over the bed like a canopy of branches. Obi-Wan stood opposite the MedDroid with his arms tucked into his sleeves, looking quite humorless. Dax lurked behind it, pretending to be busy.

?This looks serious,? Padmé joked feebly. ?Am I in trouble??

?No more than the rest of us.?

Padmé rubbed her forehead tiredly. ?I?m sorry, Obi-Wan.?

?It is time to talk strategy, Senator. We have reached our destination. We have landed the ship in a defensible position on the outskirts of the town of Mos Espa. For the moment, we have enough berths on board to accommodate our entire party, and supplies enough for several days. Handmaiden Vespé and Lieutenant Danil Panaka have joined us from Tatooine, as you arranged.?

?I promised you more bodyguards, Obi-Wan, and here they are.?

?Good. Together with Captain Typho?s team, we have enough personnel to send out exploratory parties while still safeguarding you and, of course, the ship. Pirates and scavengers abound on this planet.?

Still too woozy from whatever Dax had given her to exert control over her face, Padmé smiled.

?Senator? Something amuses you??

?No,? Padmé said hastily. ?Please go on.?

?Very well. The Veritas is not a suitable long term residence for a group of this size.?

?Long term...?? Padmé murmured.

?We don?t know how long we must stay here, Senator. By any chance, did your arrangements for this journey include advance planning for lodgings and other logistics??

?No,? Padmé admitted meekly.

?Do you anticipate making any such arrangements??

Padmé tried to be conciliatory. ?I will be happy to leave the further planning to you, Master Kenobi.?

?You are certain??

?Yes.?

?No more surprises??

Padmé sighed. ?No more surprises.?

?Do I have your word on that, My Lady??

?Yes!? Padmé groaned. ?You have my word!?

Dax stepped forward to tap Obi-Wan on the shoulder. ?Enough, Jedi.?

Obi-Wan kept looking at Padmé. ?I assume that you would like to visit with your staff now. After that, I need to see everyone in the refectory for assignments and scheduling in one standard hour. ?

?Aye, General!? Padmé hiccupped and threw him a salute.

Obi-Wan?s expression remained stern, but there might ? by a considerable stretch of the imagination ? have been a weary glimmer of amusement in his eyes. ?I am glad that you are feeling better, Senator.?

On his way out, he glanced sideways at the hovering medic. ?I want you at the meeting too, Dax.?

?Aye, General,? she replied easily. Mercifully, she didn?t salute. Inwardly, Obi-Wan sighed.

?Obi-Wan isn?t very happy with me,? Padmé said to Eirtaé later. ?We?re back to ?Senator? and ?My Lady.?

?You don?t make things easy for him. You can?t imagine what he had to do to get us all here ... how quickly he acted when your illness became worse...?

Padmé closed her eyes. ?Do you think I?m a fool??

?For coming here??

?Among other things.?

Silence drifted between the faint ongoing noises produced