Victoria. BC Forum Banner Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Rani Veko, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Look up...look waaaaaaay up...at the generic banner that graces our forum. We've talked about creating a custom banner for FF Victoria off and on for almost a year, but it's time to start getting some of these ideas in writing. Maybe then, we can put together a plan of what we'd like to see.

Keep in mind, this isn't a thread about who should design it for us, nor is it a banner contest. It's like the title says: brainstorming ideas for a future banner.

One final note about this thread: no bashing of any honest suggestions...we want to encourage input here, not discourage it. Few suggestions will be liked by everyone, but every honest suggestion will be respected. ;)

Here's some thoughts I'd like to offer up to start things off. I didn't necessarily think them all up myself, they're just ideas that have been kicked around for months now...

1) Queen Victoria, later in life with her stern "we are not amused" expression and black high-collared gown, and wearing Amidala's turned-down horned headress with the tassels...

2) The B.C. Legislature Buildings and Empress Hotel nestled among Theed's architecture, with the Inner Harbour's "Welcome to Victoria" sign in the foreground...

3) A Gungan bongo breaking the surface of Victoria Inner Harbour...

4) A TIE fighter strafing a B.C. Ferry, Coho Ferry, or Victoria Clipper (in the Inner Harbour?)...

5) A Victoria evening sky over the harbour, with the Death Star in place of the moon...

6) Theed Palace (or other setting), with trademark Victoria streetlamps and hanging flower baskets...

7) Something dipicting the four seasons of Victoria: Spring (tree blossoms and flowers), Summer (sunshine and flowers), Autumn (fruit and sunshine and more flowers), and Winter (rain and flowers)

Thoughts? Reactions? Ideas?

- Rani
  2. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I'd suggest Hayden, but in my opinion he belongs on any good banner. ;)

The only real suggestion I have is be original. A lot of the banners on this site follow the same format (background shot, with characters heads forming the focus point). IMO the nicest ones are the ones that have something different about them. For example, this one from WA is one of my favourites, simply because it's nothing like anything else I've seen here.
  3. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    Those are all really great ideas! I particularily like the idea of #5 Victoria skyline with the Death Star in it. I would put my vote on that one!!!!

I think this has to be mentioned at least once...

8) A view of the forest of Endor with the Victorian lamp posts in it...

9) Picturesque Victorian waterfront view, with landing/taking off fighters and incorporations of a base...

10) Shots of the Victory Celebrations from the Rereleased superimposed over a Victorian landmark

How are we all going to decide on an idea? Vote? It would be great to see some other people's opinions on this....

-Vills
  4. C4-One25 Jedi Knight

star 1
    might be the wrong place to post this, but should it come down to editting said banner picture, I'd be glad to waste some supercomputer time at the office.....
  5. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    We may take you up on that, futher down the road, Chris! Thanks!

In the meantime, any ideas, variations on what's been mentioned, or ideas on how to combine some of the elements?

What says "Victoria" to people from outside of Victoria? What about those from within Victoria?

11) An At-AT walker trudging through Buchart Gardens... [face_devil]

(I still like the bongo surfacing in the Inner Harbour...the only problem is it's so small compared to the harbour...)

- Rani
  6. atomik Jedi Master

star 4
    Allow me to offer a comment:

"How are we all going to decide on an idea? Vote?"

That would be a very bad idea. I know, from personal experience, that a banner (or any design) cannot be established beforehand and have a 100% chance of succesfull completion using those ideas only.
    There needs to be experimentation of many ideas. Designs evolve as they are made. Only then can the best overall desing be put together.

7. Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I would also like to offer my mouse and keyboard up for any help you may require creating the actual banner. Let me know if you need it... :)

Indy
  8. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    (Thanks, Indy! But, where are we going to find an extension cord long enough to cross the Rockies? [face_laugh] Seriously, though, the offer's appreciated!)

As for voting, let's worry about that when the time comes. ;) Right now, I think the Victory Base members should read the suggestions that we'll hopefully continue to receive, let those ideas build other ideas, and we keep making suggestions and thinking about it. At our next meeting, we'll discuss those ideas and prioritize what we'd like to see on the banner. Then we'll look at what is the best way to go about having it made. ;)

Let's keep the ideas coming, folks!

- Rani

9. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    We don't have to have any kind of memorable Victoria sight in the banner, do we? There are some really great ideas swimming around already, but I think that we should also keep our minds open other options.

I have seen some really great banners, like the Washington forum that was linked to a little while ago. One way to think of the new banner would be to translate what we see as Victoria, to something that would be found in the Star Wars Universe... Though whether that translates to a glimmering view of Coruscant, the forests of Endor, or the storms of Camino, is another problem! :p

-Vills
  10. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    I have seen some really great banners, like the Washington forum that was linked to a little while ago.

Actually, that's Western Australia, rather than Washington, if you're referring to the banner Shara linked for us. I think what makes that banner work so well is they've taken actual W. Aussie landscapes and then placed Star Wars characters in them seamlessly. When I think of an Aussie outback, I think of an arid and dusty countryside with far-spaced signs of civilization...not lifeless like Tatooine's sandy deserts, but it works.

Though whether that translates to a glimmering view of Coruscant, the forests of Endor, or the storms of Camino, is another problem!

I understand what you're saying, and I agree. I keep having the same problem, too. There doesn't seem to be any one landscape seen in Star Wars that reflects what Victoria's like, although maybe the Italian location they used for the balcony kissing scene in AOTC comes close, with it's stonework, water, treed islands, and flowering gardens...hmm...

I don't really want to do the Kamino rainstorms and ocean, though, because that's the main theme of Vancouver's banner.

I was thinking yesterday of a possibly humourous banner theme: a picture of logging protestors with their placards, and Ewoks placed in the trees with their primitive weapons, ready to thwart the evil Mac-Blo logging empire. :p Amusing perhaps, (or perhaps not) but I think it would make a better B.C. General forum banner, myself. ;)

- Rani
  11. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi, everyone! :D Wow! You guys really have some hot ideas for your banner! This is great to see. ;)

Okay, now I?ve had the pleasure watching a couple of banners come together from nothing to finished product, so I may be able to pass on some helpful advice.

1. Banners with just OT photos are harder to do than those with PT photos, as high res. OT photos are far harder to come by. :(

2. If you can find high res. background photos of Victoria (the Inner Harbour, etc.) for your banner designer, that will greatly assist them. :)

3. Of the ideas for your banner above, many of them are quite ambitious/complex; they may be difficult to pull off. Thus, just like atomik said, don?t set your heart on a fixed conception of your banner; allow your banner designer some flexibility to deviate. However, the clearer picture that you can give your banner designer of what you want, the better; but the important thing is not to have rigid expectations. ;)

?I don't really want to do the Kamino rainstorms and ocean, though, because that's the main theme of Vancouver's banner.?

[image=http://members.shaw.ca/dan_hogan/Emoticons/Smileys/Thumbs_Up.gif]
    ?One way to think of the new banner would be to translate what we see as Victoria, to something that would be found in the Star Wars Universe... Though whether that translates to a glimmering view of Coruscant, the forests of Endor, or the storms of Camino, is another problem!?

This is a good point, Vills-Kavic. :) IMHO, I think Rani?s initial linkage between Theed and the Inner Harbour/Empress could make for a hot banner. I think the ivy that covers the Empress is very akin to the shrubbery around Theed, while the Inner Harbour is somewhat similar to the water-ways of Theed. ;)

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/tpm/river01.jpg] [image=http://www.canvisit.com//images/Locations/Canada-British-Columbia-The-Islands-Victoria-1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.vancouverisland.com/images/cities/205.1.jpg] [image=http://galactic-voyage.com/images/Phantom%20Menace/sub%20arrives.jpg] [image=http://www.vanessas.ca/images/victoria/VictoriaParliamentfromWharfStreet.jpg] />/>
  12. atomik Jedi Master

star 4
    "If you can find high res. background photos of Victoria (the Inner Harbour, etc.) for your banner designer, that will greatly assist them.

Of the ideas for your banner above, many of them are quite ambitious/complex; they may be difficult to pull off. Thus, just like atomik said, don?t set your heart on a fixed conception of your banner; allow your banner designer some flexibility to deviate. However, the clearer picture that you can give your banner designer of what you want, the better; but the important thing is not to have rigid expectations."

Very well put MASTER_OBI-DAN :)
  13. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    *pensive sounds from Vills*

My my, we ARE a productive forum! :p All these ideas sound wonderful, I am sure that we will have a great final product. Obi-Dan, you are a god for finding and comparing those pics!!!

Even though I have lived in Victoria all my life, I didn't see that view when I thought of the Theed Harbour. That should shape up to something VERY interesting! Now, to find a view of the Inner Harbour that would be easier to splice into the Theed background. Or maybe.... vice versa?

-Vills
  14. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Awww....thanks, atomik and Vills. [face_blush]
  15. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi, everyone! :D I added a couple of photos to my post above. ;)

Another thing that occurred to me to the other day was how well a Theed-themed banner would work conceptually with the title of your FF Chapter: Victory Base. :) Specifically, a shot or two of the TPM victory celebrations in Theed could also fit quite well with the moniker Victory Base. N-E-ways, it?s just a thought. ;)
  16. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Woah! The similarities are startling! Theed would definitely make a great basis for your banner.

It's almost frightening how many great banner ideas Dan can pump out. ;) :D
  17. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    I know, sometimes I think the Great Flannelled One must have been golfing here a few times before he started making the prequels. [face_laugh]

Dan's successfully managed to illustrate the parallels between Victoria Inner Harbour and Theed that I was only able to describe with words before.

[image=http://members.shaw.ca/dan_hogan/Emoticons/Smileys/Thumbs_Up.gif]

Thanks, Dan!
  18. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    7) Something dipicting the four seasons of Victoria: Spring (tree blossoms and flowers), Summer (sunshine and flowers), Autumn (fruit and sunshine and more flowers), and Winter (rain and flowers)

*insanely jealous*
  19. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    I asked Rani to forward this question on to the Victoria Chapter, but since she has not logged in for a week I'll ask instead. (Hope nothing is wrong in RL Veronica.)

As you may know there is a new FanForce banner/board colour avalible for any/all FanForce forums. My question is: Whould you like me to apply the Victoria Forum?

I know you guys are working on your own banner, but the FF banner is avalible, if you want it, in the mean time.

Let me know.
  20. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    I asked Rani to forward this question on to the Victoria Chapter, but since she has not logged in for a week I'll ask instead. (Hope nothing is wrong in RL Veronica.)

Nothing that isn't fixed now. (See my post in the controversial "petition" thread.)

When I get back this evening I'll post a poll thread and provide links to the banners so the members can vote on it. This thread is intended for brainstorming ideas for our own custom banner, not for discussing which generic banners we prefer to use in the meantime. I'm sure you can understand the need to keep it on-topic.

- Rani
  21. Gesh_Bomil Jedi Knight

star 1
    I suggest a Naboo type banner as BC is Nabooish. Since we are on an island, perhaps a co-human and Gungan feel with Boss Nass in the left side with open arms and an austere Sio Bibble in the right side and beautiful Naboo capitol in the middle with the waterfall and island sections superimposed on our buildings.

The Gungan ship floating in the harbour is great too and perhaps one of the transports in AOTC in place of the coho and a silvery royal starship in the skyline.

Gesh
  22. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good ideas Gesh! I like your view of the banner. Now, what view of the Inner harbour would work for what you are thinking of?

How about the kind of view that Obi-Dan posted above?

-Vills
  23. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Didn't get a chance to read through all of this, but it might be helpful for any prospective photo shop artists out there. JC Banner Maker's Thread
  24. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Awesome link, Alakin! Thanks for posting that!

*Derisa*

25. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm in contact with a banner maker... shall I ask her whether she is interested in helping us out?

*Derisa*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.