main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Clock

Discussion in 'Communications' started by x_mas_master_ousley, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x_mas_master_ousley

x_mas_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2002
    This is probably an IGN only update thing... but I think it would be cool to have a real-time clock somewhere near the top of the page.

That way we could see what the board time is, to compare when the last post in threads was.

Since I use differant computers to be on the boards, I can't remember exactly how far off the computer clock is from the board clock. (minutewise, I know how many hours differance it is)

Would that be possilbe?

2. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Right now the board clock is only three hours off from my time, that's just because the boards are on Pacific Time.

3. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Here is what you do:

1. Post ina thread.
    2. Note down the time of the post.
    3. Compare it to your watch or computer time.
    4. Write this difference down on a post-it note.
    5. Attach post it note to monitor.
    6. At the bottom of the note write 'Some thing's just do not matter.'

You are six easy steps away from utopia.

4. Xie-mas

Xie-mas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002
    In theory, this might be possible... if it were placed in the header.

Though it's pretty rare that you can't access the time anywhere else.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yeah, I'm almost positive it's an IGN thing.

6. Xie-mas

Dec 14, 2002
    Well they have really simple little scripts that will tell the time, if one were placed in the header or something, it COULD be possible.

7. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
  8. Xie-mas

Dec 14, 2002
    No, I'm talking about text clocks.

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Also, that clock takes the time from the computer, not what the actual board time is.

10. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]What is it exactly that you want? Do you forget what time zone you are in? What time should the Board clock be set at? Pacific like it is everywhere else? To each user's time zone? [/color]

11. Xie-mas

Dec 14, 2002
    Since I use differant computers to be on the boards, I can't remember exactly how far off the computer clock is from the board clock. (minutewise, I know how many hours differance it is)

Why not just learn how far off your TIME ZONE is from the boards. The minutes on the boards are correct for the world, it's just the hour that changes. If you live in the US, the worst it could be is three hours later than board time.

Where do you live?

12. x_mas_master_ousley

Dec 14, 2002
    In the USA, and I know I'm 3 hours off.

I just thought since my computer clock is off ( I always do the 3 hour math ) that it would be cool to have a clock.

And I know I can post and count, but I was just thinking of ideas to make the forums easier. :)

13. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Are the forums really that hard?

14. x_mas_master_ousley

Dec 14, 2002
    No, they're not.

15. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    would this proposed clock have an alarm and a snooze bar?

16. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    There could always be a Javascript clocked added to a headerbar. Unfortunately, it would take up even more space on the header and we've had complaints about how cluttered the headers already are.

Worse comes worse, I'd just check a busy board and see when the last post was to see what the most recent post time was. It'll give you a very close idea to what the board time is. :)

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    While I can't be bothered looking for one, there must be some shareware "world clock thing" that can sit in your status bar / tool bar, and which you can offset by hours and minutes to reflect board time.

Anyone with more time than me, go look for such an application, download it, install it and let us know how it works...

18. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    As with most things in life, it's the little details that make the difference. Yes, it's not that hard to just work out what the time difference is, but if we could implement this change, what would be stopping us? A change doesn't have to be radical and major for it to be a good thing. Personally, I look forward to the day when we have access to the actual code for these forums and we can make some significant changes, rather than purely cosmetic ones.

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I think that this would kill the board even more.

20. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, it could be possible to add a clock to the other side above the boards themselves from the drop-down, but is it totally neccessary? It isn't hard to learn the difference between your clock and the board one, plus it would be another thing that would add to the download time for the board pages, and trust me, it's already bad enough for 56kers already without something that isn't essential for enjoyment. I'll look into getting something that could work, but it's not going to be all that high on my priority list.

And Hawk, I would love to be able to get my hands into the source code for these boards, but that's never going to happen.

21. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, I know. I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm rich and I can buy the entire thing off IGN.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like the board time, because it precisely matches my own--I have no need for a clock in the corner of the screen.

23. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I'm in California, so the board clock is the same time as me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.