OKC, OK forum news

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by xwing25, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xwing25 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    we are putting the boads back up on the site and we are going to be useing both boards now so check it out also
  2. Starfig873 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Here's hoping we get something to work out. :)
  3. FettsBounty2 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Back to the way things were. *sigh* Will we EVER stick with a decision?

[rant]I don't see why everyone is so hung up with MSN. So what if we've got catagories? No one ever uses them anyway. Pretty much everything that get's posted on MSN goes into General Information, no matter what the subject.

I'm really tired of us constantly changing things because no one can agree on anything. This club is going nowhere, and fast. I look at Tulsa, they're always getting together to see a movie, dinner or Laser Tag along with they're regular meetings.

Us, we meet at Mazzios twice a month, big deal. We always talk about going to see a Movie or Dinnner, etc. But VERY, very rarely do we ever act on anything. We've been throwing around the idea of doing Laser Tag for what, 7-8 months now?

It's always ''Well, we'll discuss this more at the next meeting''. Next meeting comes, ''We'll talk more about it at the next meeting.''. Next meeting comes, same thing. HELLO?! Are we going to do it or not?!

We've been around over a year now, and we haven't progressed much. We need to start planning events at least a month or two in advance, not a week before. But most of all, we need to ACT on our plans, not just sit around talking about them.

Sorry if I come accross a little strong, but I really want to see the club do more than just sit at Mazzios and talk about the same crap month after month after month.[/rant]

So if anyone's up for it, who wants to start planning a Dinner/Movie night?

-What Movie?
    -What Resturant?
    -What Time?
    -What part of town is best for everyone?
    -What night is best for everyone?
    -When is best for everyone?

These are some things we need to think about before we set a date.

Again, sorry for the long rant, but I had to get it out. :D

-Austin
  4. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    Austin,

My initial response when things such as these arise is with a question: "What do you suggest we do to fix the problem?"

Typically, I don't follow up with an impassioned response, but, hey, Bulger scored me some much-needed Fantasy Football points tonight and I'm feeling gooooood!

While I certainly understand your point, there are some things you should keep in mind.

We are a rather large group of people with differing view points, and the last thing, we, as the Council (of which you are a part), want to do is force anyone into doing something they don't want to do. The Council is set up to merely guide the club, and have some form of organization. EVERYONE has a say in what happens in the club, and I'll be the first to say that EVERYONE should feel to safe and free to do so. The Council doesn't just up and make arbitrary decisions. We try to keep it as democratic as possible. ("I love democracy..." ;) )

Was switching 90% of the forum focus to TFN a mistake? Maybe, maybe not. While not a life-or-death issue, to be sure, the club was clearly split. We've had a few hiccups in club decisions, but that's to be expected over time, especially in a "casually" run club.

When it comes to club events, the Red Ribbon parade, the IMAX showing, and the upcoming Bricktown parade immediately come to mind. All this within an 8 week period. If anything, the club events are increasing, and our membership is slightly on the rise. Our last (and first) club dinner was not too long before that, but we're probably overdue.

Yes, the LaserQuest outing has been on the backburner for some time, but when it's been brought up in past meetings, no one has been gung-ho on supporting it. One phone call to LaserQuest to get prices and available dates, and a forum posting for interest is all it would take to get this rolling.

However, club members' availability and commitment have been notoriously low (heck, I'll fess up to that) when it comes to extra-curricular club outings we try to plan (the Red Ribbon parade being a pleasant exception). I'd rather not reserve a LaserQuest outing for a group of 15-20 and have only 4 people show interest... or show up. We tried a movie outing a year ago for LotR, and that was a bust... no more than two members could agree on a time or location... whether it was by schedule, or unable to make it to a certain theater.

It's not through lack of trying that we don't have frequent club events. It's just been difficult to get a large group together to justify them. The majority of the club is college age or older, many of them with jobs, families, etc. Lots of people have lots of things to do, especially now that the holiday season is here.

As for me personally, Star Wars is my second favorite hobby and "thing". But it's waaay down the ladder when it comes to family, friends, career, etc. I have a lot of things that are important to me going on at any given time, and I fit Star Wars and the club in when I can.

I think our club is comprised of a great group of friendly people! [Playing to the crowd, heh heh.] While there may be a difference of opinions (which is normal in any large group), I've never sensed any hostility, and, from what I've seen, everyone has a pretty good time and have gone home happy and filled with their latest installment of Star Wars... um... goodness!(???) Well, you get my drift... I hope. :D

As a card carrying member of the JediOKC Council, that is my response. I'm most definitely game for having a dinner outing. Pretty much any weekday evening is good for Mrs. Jedi and me. And, perhaps, we can get a sign-up sheet going for a (local OR Tulsa) LaserQuest outing to happen either early December or in January. Oh, and, yeah, it's LotR time again! Two Towers, baby! Perhaps yet another club event???

Thanks for the jump start! Now, I shall attempt to post the November meeting minutes in a somewhat timely manner...
    --Len (RJ)
  5. xwing25 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Ok Red said it good as I am not good at writing long measages and i try to please the masses when it comes to group dececions as i know i can't please everyone all the time ,i would like to get a dinner night going again and also a movie or two (lord of the rings and the other si fi ...........star trek)coming in dec ,i do put alot of time into this club and it has caused problems on occations with my family but i have been working on that. As for a dinner date with the club it may be a bad time as with thanksgiving next week and the parady the week after and a meeting the week after that and then chrismas not to far after that we may be able to find a good date in there somehow and i'm game for it .and i want to go see the movies and going with a group is always beter then alone so i will work on some dates today if i have the chance for them and a dinner ,i hope i didn't ramble on to much but i think i said what i needed to say
  6. FettsBounty2 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    ''When it comes to club events, the Red Ribbon parade, the IMAX showing, and the upcoming Bricktown parade immediately come to mind. All this within an 8 week period. If anything, the club events are increasing, and our membership is slightly on the rise. Our last (and first) club dinner was not too long before that, but we're probably overdue. ''

While I admit, the Red Ribbon Parade was a ''success'', IMAX certainaly was not. Myself (along with my Dad) and Jason were the ONLY Jedi OKC members to show up on Firday. Rick Walls' plan for a trip was met with little response. I believe there would have been more if everyone was given a little more notice. We need to get together and start researching every element of an Event weeks, if not a month or two, in advance before we even set a date. All previous events, the date was set first, giving us little time to plan anything.

We, as the Great Jedi Council of OKC, need to send out e-mail notices, post on the boards, start a poll, stick a message on the front page of the site, and get the word out that ''Hey! We're having a Dinner/Movie night! Who's up for it, and when is a good time for YOU?''. We gots ta find out when is a good time for everyone. I'm thinking a Saturday evening. There's Texas Road House right by Regal Cinemas, we could all pile into Roud House, have a nice dinner, then stuff ourselves full of popcorn afterwards at the movie! Muhahahaha! Sounds like a plan, does it not? I mean, Regal is pretty much centraly located and I'm sure everyone knows where Crossroads is. But again, this is what I was thinking, we need everyone elses opinion if want it to be a success!

''Yes, the LaserQuest outing has been on the backburner for some time, but when it's been brought up in past meetings, no one has been gung-ho on supporting it. One phone call to LaserQuest to get prices and available dates, and a forum posting for interest is all it would take to get this rolling.''

So again, let's send out e-mail notices, post on the boards and stick a message on the front page. Spread the word! ;)

''It's not through lack of trying that we don't have frequent club events. It's just been difficult to get a large group together to justify them. The majority of the club is college age or older, many of them with jobs, families, etc. Lots of people have lots of things to do, especially now that the holiday season is here.''

We don't need frequent club events, maybe once every two-three months. I understand it being difficult to get a large group together, but if we have to, why not instead of having our usual meeting, have a dinner on the meeting night instead? Sort of a SW break (God knows we all need that ;) ).

''As for me personally, Star Wars is my second favorite hobby and "thing". But it's waaay down the ladder when it comes to family, friends, career, etc. I have a lot of things that are important to me going on at any given time, and I fit Star Wars and the club in when I can.''

Agreed. 'nuff said. (Though, I'm not even sure if SW is even my second favorite anymore.)

''Oh, and, yeah, it's LotR time again! Two Towers, baby! Perhaps yet another club event???''

Gandalf the White! (Oh, did I spoil anything? :p)

The last thing I want is for everyone to think I'm not happy with club. I am. I've been here since the begining, that special, magical, noisy night at Crossroads KB *sniff*. I don't want to see the club go downhill, which is why, since the club is indeed growing, I think we need to work even harded to make it fun for everyone. As long as the club gets bigger, the harder it will be to stay where we are now. Eventually, we're going to need another place to meet, a bigger place to meet. We're going to have to spice up the meetings a bit, to keep interest.

With those final words, I, your Jedi Council Whatevermypositionis, leave you with this....

''Hail to the king, baby...'' ;)

-Austin

BTW, whens the next council meeting? I must know, so I know whether ot not to record Friends :p Oh! And I bought a
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.