main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Organization

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 12, 2013.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Now I'm beginning to think you're not actually serious. Videogames already has its own separate area.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I honestly rarely notice the games threads in the YJCC. Maybe because I've never played them or maybe because my eyes are good at scanning over what I don't want to see, which came in handy when we had no "ignore" button on the IGN boards.

As far as the conflict between people who can't take a joke/want srs bsns and those who just want to cut up, I've noticed that more across the boards since the Disney announcement.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Video games might fit in well with Community, but if it isn't merged then the Games tab should definitely be taken out of Community and put in the Games forum. Not sure why there's a games tab in Community when there's a forum dedicated to games.

Senate is pretty much dead. It seems like only Census gets less traffic in Community. Since Senate threads are the only super serial threads in Community, maybe it should be moved. Not sure why someone would go to the JCF for serious political or religious discussion, there are plenty of other sites out there that are probably far superior in terms of discussion, subjects and userbase. I don't have a problem with Senate, but it might be better for both Senate and Community to go their separate ways.

Lit is catching the JCC in terms of silliness. I think that says a lot about the performance of the JCC since the move to perm boards. Everyone in the JCC just needs to get hyped and step up their game. Maybe the mods should promote a Troll Week (all trolling allowed) in the JCC just to get crazy. Or maybe a Troll Month. Then we vote on Best Troll but don't bother to count the votes as the final troll of the event.

SLG you seem like you're going through a crisis. It seems like you're saying TJCCINAGAIUTB. You either gotta get the gang back together for a reunion tour or just move on. Or not.

Oh, and everyone in the JCC needs to start hanging out in Ep VII. Seriously.

Honestly, everyone on the JCF needs to start hanging in Ep VII.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Ep VII is sorta becoming the new JCC, it just needs characters from the JCC to become official.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I am seeing a therapist for my JCC issues, thank you for noticing.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    It's good that you're getting help. Just know that I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to.

I would of course betray your secrets if I find it convenient, or just hilarious.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't have a problem with Senate, but it might be better for both Senate and Community to go their separate ways.

There isn't enough support for a separate forum now. However, one of the main reasons I believe people continue to discuss things like politics here is because many of us have known each other for a long time. I don't have any interest in going elsewhere and actively discussing things with people I don't know. I'd rather talk about politics amongst people I've talked about multiple election campaigns with, along with any number of events and stories.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I stopped visiting because it was the same "WILL THEY FOLLOW THE CRYSTAL STAR?!" and "WHAT COLOR WILL JAGGED FEL'S LIGHTSABER BE?!" (yes, I know he isn't a Jedi) threads over and over again. I got the impression that it was like the old prequel spoiler forums, yet somehow even dumber.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think last I read before the move there was something about him losing his password or something.[face_dunno]

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That wasn't a serious question... nobody actually gives a ****. :p

12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Not so sure about him 'losing his password', however his original 'Zaz' account for some reason was unable to be accessed so he switched to his alternative 'Nevermind' account which he was using prior to the move to the temp boards.

No idea where he went - I always just assumed he was waiting out for the brand new boards to become active (we were only supposed to be on the temp boards for 2-3 weeks, not 6 months) and eventually gave up and moved on***. The fact that the forum he moderated (Amph) was merged in the intervening peirod also meant there was no mod job for him to return to either.

(*** I think the same can be said for several old Amph/Senate posters who have also appeared to have vanished - planning to wait out the move and ended up just leaving altogether as the temp situation dragged on month after month)

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I do agree that it would make a lot of sense to move the games into, you know, games.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm saying combine videogames, separate games. Videogames fits with amph perfectly, it's just entertainment. Games requires active participation, not something that fits with that category.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Things have happened, both the sudden influx of new members due to Episode VII and some unexpected organizational issues, that warrant reopening the discussion. That's not being fickle, that's being responsible and not sticking to your guns just because.

As Grimby said, there's some discussion going on in MS about this. This thread is certainly timely!

harpua likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Care to elaborate?

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's ugly and unproductive. And requires lots of booze.

That may either be describing the MS discussion or Community itself.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought you guys got an unlimited supply of booze as part of your moderator contract?

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Shots have been fired. Men have died.

... Sorry about that, incidentally.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Related to E7 or something else entirely?

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think one thing that the merging of all the "community" forums has done, has shown how little true demand there were for some 'services' and how the individual forums artificially inflated that. If you look at the "Census" threads, by the fourth thread the last post date is in May, and by 25 it's February. For "Games" threads, it's a little more currently active with 6 active games, but 25 takes you back to September last year. Contrast this to the archived forum and you have 2 months of threads on the first page with 8 of those games threads, and 5 on the second page which covers another 3 months.

So is there any point at all to having a "Census" tag since: a) there aren't a lot of polls created now; b) most (if not all) of the polls created are really "JCC" type topics anyway and have the corresponding types of responses; and c) the "Census" forum was created on a whim in the first place and no body ever bothered to take task over it so a lot of effort was put into maintaining a "community" that was extraneous.

I see the "Games" remaining because some people seem to get a kick out of them (although a lot less now it seems, or is it just people participating through a desire rather than seeing 'active' games on the front page of a secluded forum and taking part since they are there already?) but given that: a) all the other tags are allusions to the content rather than specifically descriptive; and b) people commonly misinterpret the intent of the tag (one glance at this thread is proof); so why not make it another allusion to something?

And just for comparative stats, these are the length of time that 25 threads covers currently:
    • JCC - 1 day
    • Senate - 4 months
    • Amph - 1 day
    • Arena - 1 month

Other than that outlined above, I don't see any need to start cutting the forum apart again. What I do see as needed is a breaking down of the barrier of the old thinking that each tag type is a different sub-forum with different rules. It should be as simple as follows:
    • "Senate" - discussion thread about politics, religion, philosophy, social issues;
    • "Amphitheatre" - discussion thread about movies, TV, books, art
    • "Arena" - discussion thread about sports, recreation
    • "Games" - game thread with a specific competition aim that is regulated and has finite length inherent (either as a whole or to a round)
    • "JCC" - light-hearted or social threads that can cover any range of topics but with no definitive discussion aim
    Even if it has to be that the 'tags' are changed to show this is a single forum with a standardised set of rules where discussion threads are for actual discussion of a topic (though the occasional "lol @ Everton" or "this [movie/issue] sucks!" post isn't going to have a repercussion) and otherwise as long as a base decorum level is maintained all is good. As long as common sense is used in moderating (wishful thinking, I know) so that, for example, if a thread posted with someone's review of Iron Man 3 is locked and redirected to the "Amph" IM3 thread while a thread where someone say "I am Iron Man because I have a drinking problem, am suave and have more than $5 to my name along with this fancy (cardboard) suit of armour" is left open and tagged "JCC" and we all get to point and laugh, then the world won't end. People will cross-pollinate between the different types of threads (and no shock, they are doing that mostly right now) so that we have a single 'Community' with an expectation of what will happen in different threads, and it will be fairly clear to all and sundry who are not down with the intricate history of these boards.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  22. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm still waiting for that supply, you know...

s65horsey likes this.
  23. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Your card arrived while you were away and Missy took it. Ever wonder why she was able to throw the best parties? Your alcohol.

Mr. K likes this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes, totally agree with this however as I mentioned earlier Senate threads still have their own specific posting guidelines similar to what the old forum had which is fine but it's inconsistent with the other threads in Community. The way I see it is that either it has to be separated to maintain the quality of discussion that Senate regulars are used to or it needs to be streamlined and be more open to "JCC -esque" style posts.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nothing major, actually, just a lot of annoyances when it comes to synchronizing the moderating team.