main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Organization

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Two, maybe three people discussing something for several days or weeks, one or two people randomly entering the thread on occasion to loudly/forcefully voice their opinion and never entering said thread ever again, another 1-2 people entering on occasion to play Ric Olie and state something that did not need to be said, and once in a while someone posting something that actually has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation but everyone else is too polite to point that out? Oh, and on occasion a requisite Grimby post.

Cough.
    [​IMG]

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I said "organizational issues", not "everything is working as always". Sheesh.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Dingo, I agree with your post, but the problem is that what you said is pretty much relying on an ideal situation. And on the JC, ideal is never reality. You're assuming that users are going to behave and moderators are going to moderate. Neither of these things currently happen in the existing YJCC-amph-games-senate section (no offense to the 2 mods that are doing stuff) The crossing over of posts and sections is great to an extent, but it's also really detracting from the existing "cultures" of each forum. I may hate the senate, but that doesn't mean that I want the nonseriousness of YJCC to destroy their conversations. Same with Amph. There's a difference between having a casual conversation about a movie and the discussions that used to be in Amph. Amph used to have encyclopedia long posts of super seriousness going into way too much details on films etc. Now in the main forum it's all watered down. Even though I want to see amph stay with YJCC, that in addition to the senate and games - it's too much combined. YJCC is way too overpowering, and that combined with Games is creating an unstoppable monster of stupidness that spreading to the other forums. There has to be some way to divide the forums but not overdivide them so that you can segregate the stupidity but still keep a bit of clashing cultures.

Barriss_Coffee and Zapdos like this.
  5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The last time I heard from him was via email after we had moved to the temp boards. I had given all of the JC mods plenty of notice beforehand that they needed to register on the temp boards and check in after the old boards had been taken down, and I think Zaz was the only one who hadn't. He mentioned something about having issues adjusting to the new boards, and I don't think he ever posted on the temp boards. He never logged in here after the move was complete, either, so I assume he just moved on.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Just as well-- he was a spammer who contributed almost nothing of substance to the boards.

Rox , jp-30 and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'll never forget the time someone posted a personal advice thread in Amph and he told me to "shut up" when I said the thread didn't belong there.

jp-30 likes this.
  8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Alright, let's get back on topic at this point, please.

9. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I respect that people had their own issues with him (probably a fair amount justified) but to say he contributed almost nothing of substance is just foolishness. I enjoyed many of his posts and discussions (even was able to have a good humoured laugh at his GoT 'review' thread). If you had problems with him that's fine but such pettiness doesn't exactly stand you in good stead either.

(sorry Grimby I know what you said but I couldn't stand to let such a petty comment go unanswered - I'll go sit in the naught corner now :()

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's not petty, and if we were really discussing the issue, I could go into far more detail. I won't, but I meant what I said.

I don't really care about being in "good stead." I know what I saw over the years and I made a well grounded observation about it.

11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I disagree, and I still stand that it's a foolish statement by yourself. Obviously we'll have to simply agree to disagree but I didn't want such a silly comment to be left standing unanswered.

(again, sorry Grimby)

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  13. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I must be the only one who enjoyed the structure of the Temp boards

or am I?

:p

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    What, the strange bedfellow system?

Oh now there's an idea. Revert the system back to its early Temp Board configuration for April Fools.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bite your tongue.

16. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    well I liked it :p

felt more like a community and not sectioned off for "cliques" *shrugs*

but I never was one for following the crowd.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. Rock_martin

Rock_martin Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2013
    Nice link

18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    SLG, so what you're saying is that we should let the inmates run the asylum? Just because the 'general'* forum population cannot separate out where and when to act like juveniles and people are too afraid to upset the apple cart by enforcing rules then that should be catered to? A clearly defined, visible set of rules on how to participate in certain thread types that has been distilled down into as simple a form possible (that is, as few variations as able, not a different set for every single tag type) and some simple enforcement of them and things will be fine. The "JCC" isn't a complete bunch of uncouth savages (despite how many times I might say that) and are able to adjust to simple sets of rules for the forum. It's been done in the past.

The reason it isn't working now is because the forum has 5 different sets of rules governing how threads should go. There's the 'Senate' rules, where a high standard of conversation is required and are enforced with a heavy hand. There's the 'Arena' rules that allow for some light-heartedness but still require staying on a narrow thread focus. There's the 'Games' rules that govern the leeway in which the hosts can control the game. There's the 'Amph' rules for discussion, which want a higher standard for topic discussion. And there's the 'JCC' rules that allow almost everything but murder. And then you have that of the nine listed moderators for the "Community" forum, they really only moderate one of those sets of rules in threads with those tags (and anything with an 'Amph' tag is getting moderated more by 'JCC' rules since there's been a bleed over in subject matter). Of course it isn't going to work because there is no common standard across all threads in a single forum, and no expectation that all moderators for a forum are going to be applying the exact same rules and moderating all threads in said forum.

Analogously, it's like this. Currently the "Community" forum is like the members of a share house hosting a party, but saying that the hosts are only responsible for dealing with and mingling with the people they invited and/or are in their room, instead of all the hosts dealing with all persons at the party in all rooms.

All I am saying is that the mods should be hosting the party (the Community forum) across the board with everyone knowing that if there are people sitting in the lounge room discussing politics (or the people in the kitchen discussing the NFL draft, or those around the pool are dissecting the themes of Man of Steel), then coming in and making fart jokes or trying to hijack the conversation into another direction is not acceptable. Conversely if everyone out on the balcony is joking about what type of condoms are the best to use and providing crass reasons as to why, then who cares as long as they aren't demonstrating anything and don't then drag that conversation into other areas of the house. And it also doesn't matter if somehow that conversation turns into people arguing over what their favourite breakfast food is. Meanwhile those who are in the rumpus room playing Risk aren't bombarded with people coming in and knocking the board over just for the fun of it.

It's not something that is going to be able to go into place and work like magic tomorrow. But that is frankly better than splitting things up again purely because people don't like being around each other.

Oh, and on the subject of "drowning out" here are the number of threads on the first page with each tag type:

JCC - 9
    Senate - 2
    Amph - 7
    Arena - 3
    Games - 4
    Census - 0

That's actually almost the kind of portions you would expect from the traffic prior to combining the forums when you factor some of the Amph threads are the same as what would also have been JCC threads. If you keep going back the ratios are mostly the same, with Games threads decreasing since they are mainly either active or not, and more Amph threads than JCC threads. Subject matter isn't being overpowered, all that is happening is that there is no actual overall strategy for the forum and therefore no united fashion in which all threads are being moderated.

* General meaning a small subsection of the former JCC forum regulars who push the boundaries until they slam into a brick wall, which isn't happening with the current moderating standard.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Nope, that's extreme and I feel like that's going to sidetrack too. As awesome of a troll as I am, I'm not going to lie about the amount of bullying/baiting/blatant trolling that gets to happen in the JCC and the amount of rules that aren't enforced. Currently you can do just about anything except drop a few word bombs. So nooooo that's not at all what I'm saying. It's pretty much the problem that was just addressed by the Senate split - rules that are too extreme. The JCC rules are getting more lenient, the Senate rules are still strict, etc. I think there's enough people raging about that stuff right now that I don't need to go into it.

Pretty much yeah. In which case either you divide forums into 2 sections I'd say, strict + relaxed rules, or you come up with a set of rules that will fit all the forums. IMO which is pretty useless, I'd suggest making YJCC a bit stricter and Amph + Arena just a little bit more relaxed. That's realistically never going to go over well though, but it would probably solve that problem.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    DarthBoba likes this.