1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

SWRPF Archive Forum reforms: Seeking input!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoKeMoN_Master_Drake Jedi Knight

star 3
    Classic.

Pity it's not in Hoopers. I believe the purpose of this thread is to add-value to the RPF.

Still, I smiled; you got what you wanted.
  2. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    IBOP is presently into its final climax and conclusion. I expect it to be wrapped up this month, with all but the final additions having been presented.

January will be the very latest time that you will see activity, regardless of whatever seems to be happening, or not happening, in any of the remaining three threads.

More to the point is not when this game will end, but when work will begin on a new such game. It is pointless to await the conclusion of one game, if there is no preparation for a follow up. Having said that, it would not be unreasonable for IBOP to continue indefinitely, though I assure you it will not.

My suggestion to you, and anyone else who wants to see a new flagship RPG, is to begin planning and creating the foundations now. You will struggle, but you might not drown if you remember to pack a life jacket. Planning and preparation will be the keys to the success of any such future venture.

I look forward to a game that will rival and then eclipse all others that the RPF and the playing fields before it, have ever seen. Only time will tell how far we are from seeing that happen.
  3. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank you for the update, LSA. :)

I would like to request, however, that we put the new game off for a little while and focus instead on the Council and RPF Adoptions. The new forum situation still hasn't been decided, and I would rather put the framework in place before we start planning more projects.
  4. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm just playing the game. The Future is like Chess...think three moves ahead if you want to make it out with a king.
  5. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    With regards to the Council, whatever shape or form it will have, is there some plan in place for ensured activity and dedication? Specifically, I'm wondering what measure(s) might be planned, implied or actual, to take action at such times the members of this Council disappear or otherwise become absent.

I'm all for new members being elected to fill the place(s) for anyone unable, for whatever reason, to remain a present and active body. There will only be harm to us all if the people chosen end up missing in action.

6. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've always though that Aides worked in the EUS....
  7. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Perhaps I'm alone in thinking that such responsibilities should be carried out by those elected and not passed on to support members.

Regardless, that is not to say or suggest a person should be attacked or targeted for takaing a vacation. I am referring to the semi-permanent and permant absences, or the regular disappearances that will cause wasted space. It would be easier, in my mind, to have a system that ensures regular participation, with contigencies in place to account and deal with a lack thereof. That is all I suggest.
  8. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I see what you mean...prehapps we elect a "Back Up" for each catagory, that way if some one does go mia, they have read through the posts and everything like a real member, and can easily step in...
  9. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The simplest solution is probably to just appoint a new member should a current member disappear for more than a specified period (two weeks?) without any sort of prior notice.
  10. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Seems fair, appropriate, and otherwise reasonable :) It will encourage accountability and responsibility, if nothing else. Any 'back ups' would be then available to fill what void opens before too many of us fall inside ;)
  11. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes...you know how those voids can be...they just suck you in with teh allure of Real Life....
  12. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I know it's on the backburner for the time being, but LSA ... any chances of you having a hand in the 'flagship' RP?
  13. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I had not planned on it, but I might offer a very small one :p ;)

I figure many of the members of the potential Council will be comprised of Role Players who are either capable of managing such a game, or competent enough to arrange for such management to be put in place. I'll be interested to see the members of such a body.

Like you, I'll be around in whatever capacity I can; at the very least, in an effort to offer continued suggestions and support for our community prosperity.
  14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Here I was, thinking that I_H and LSA had all the most interesting and sound advice....

And then, it.

PoT Happens.

:p

I've taken the time to fully catch up with this thread, reading everything in its entirety. I would just now like to add my own humble words of text.

Unnamed Council

Firstly, the Council. =D= A fine idea. :) Integrating the Adoptions and Awards and other small aspects of the RPF under the one group of people would be a large boon for the continual administration and support that is required of them. I give my support. :)

As far as numbers onboard this Council, I like the rough idea of having 15 or so people making it up, because personally I think 30 is too great to aim for at this early stage. I do remember from the past RPF awards, NP mentioning that she only had around 25 votes towards the end?although I'm sure that quite a few jumped in right at the finish line. ;) I believe that members of this Council must be at least active on a regular basis on the RPF as a whole, and having too many people apart of it to begin with would almost include everyone active here already as the awards suggested. Also, the suggestion of having more 'older' people is very wise, as I believe that many of them have a greater understanding of this forum as a whole. For instance, the awareness pointed out by Jello shows just how much newer people (me) don't know, no matter how hard we try to backtrack. ;)

Having aides or 'back ups' very well could limit the problems of people vanishing, although I will leave that to people who have had first hand experience. :)

And in further agreement of other points, VIPship of any chair members or the such is not a good idea in my opinion. And that 6 months for the elected/appointed members is a good amount of time, and said members may continue in their roles should they so desire.

Okay, now the part of how people find themselves on this Council. I would like to state first, that I have seen, although am not familiar with, the EUC Senate. :)

I am not of the opinion that popularity is an issue, an issue in the sense that people may be nominated?if that is the method used?on their fame rather than the merit of their abilities. One point I would like to make, is that this Council is designed to be an example and leadership for some of the aspects of the RPF community, which, to me, means its members are part of that same community?in the sense that people know them. And that people are comfortable with them being on this Council and having a say in the issues that will be presented before them.

Of course, people on the Council should not be there solely because of being known, but must show that they have ability as well.

So I am of the opinion that nominations are the way to go. However, when the time comes, I would think it smart if a few guidelines are laid out of what is required of Council members, and therefore if it were via nominations, anyone who is nominated must themselves state that they are willing to participate. This would, in a way, be a step to ensure that random nominations of users does not occur.

After people have been nominated, I think that the list of people should then be trimmed by NP in an effort of only including the people serious about joining. Votes could then be placed by the RPF community for who they would like on their Council. Of course, NP has final say if any concerns or issues get raised. As you know, as people have mentioned, there will always be the why-didn't-I-get-selected/why-didn't-they cries.

This is simply my humble view on how I believe is a possible way that electing Council members could work. Many of the things I have said I know have already been either mentioned or suggested already?but I would like to simply say what I think myself?whether it confirms or adds something new. :)

New Forum

As you may think from my attempted humorous (you better of read it in a non/>
  15. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Don't worry Tyi, it makes sense ;)

So, PoT for president? :p

Like you, I'll be around in whatever capacity I can; at the very least, in an effort to offer continued suggestions and support for our community prosperity.

That's the key for me. We may have a council, but what I don't want is having all efforts and support going through them. The community as a whole should have their say and, as you mentioned, be able to offer advice, help, etc.

EDIT: I'm going to attempt to develop a few original ideas, to store up when the time comes to discuss the main RPG. If anyone would be interested in hearing them, by all means let me know. Otherwise, I'll be waiting for the moment to strike ... I mean, let my voice be heard ;)
  16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    He was already president of this place once, I don't think we should tempt him. :p

I forgot to thank NP for this:
    I didn't know those specifics, so thank you for clearing that up. I am now fully against having unlimited edit time?as I was before except for the first post?especially after hearing out the reasons of everyone. :) Way to much a hassle for its benefits.

:)
  17. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So...any one got anything else to talk about?
  18. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    looks like we've exhausted all conversation pieces for the time being :p
  19. Rayson Jedi Master

star 4
    As to the question of a seperate board for Non-Star Wars RPGs..

I remember when, yes, DA forbid any sort of Non-SW RPG to take place on the board, then of course PoT declared Non-SW RP's open in the RPF, and no we want to seperate the two? I have two different points to make, and I believe they should be made.

Point I

I believe that either Non-SW RPs should be allowed to remain within the current RPF, or that they should be closed altogether. If you seperate them, it would create confusion among the newer players, and the current Moddess or Mod would be constantly having to ask people to move their RPs to the opposite forum, thus drawing on the mods time to monitor the already busy board.

Point II

The second problem the this would present would be the issue of inactivity. If you draw on the players to use their own personal time to visit both forums, granted they are involved in a SW and Non-SW RPG, then inactivity would be inavoidable. You couldn't force a person to split their time between two different forums. Though you could try, nobody is going to want to take the time to switch between boards, especially when a large majority of the people that post on these boards are either working or going to school.

These are only my personal opinions, but they should indeed be recognized.
    />
  20. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have posted a thread for Council nominations here. Please head on over and nominate some people!

I have recieved some exciting news about the possibilty of opening not just one but two new forums for the RPF. So, we may not have to decide between using the forum for non-Star Wars games or the forum-wide "flagship" game. :)
  21. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That's good news NP :)

The second problem the this would present would be the issue of inactivity. If you draw on the players to use their own personal time to visit both forums, granted they are involved in a SW and Non-SW RPG, then inactivity would be inavoidable. You couldn't force a person to split their time between two different forums. Though you could try, nobody is going to want to take the time to switch between boards, especially when a large majority of the people that post on these boards are either working or going to school.

Not really sure if I agree with this. For starters, it doesn't take much to click between two forums. Hell most of us here read more then one forum already, I'm sure. I do see your point, but in the end by seperating them, it's also possible that it would make it easier for people to find an RP that suits them...
  22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree with Kart in saying that a lot of people already swap between a multitude of forums. It's not that hard. Having two windows open in your taskbar is the simple solution. :) (Or ranging between 3-15 in my case :p)

I, personally, do not think it would cause confusion?if anything it would be clearer.

Here, SW RPGs.

Here, non-SW RPGs.

Whereas now if people don't read the rules, they may not realise that they need NP's approval before creating a non-SW RPG. So from that sense you could say that it was more 'confusing' now.

:)
  23. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Just discovered this, read a few posts on the first page, and am now jumping in with my two credits.

- First up, kudos to Naboo Princess for being such a fantastic moderator.

- On visiting other Forums, I was amazed to discover that they had unlimited editing time, and would really push, if my voice had any weight, for us to have the same here.
    My style of role-playing is definitely fan-fiction based and I have been defeated several times by the editing time running out while I am actually editing.

Alternately, once we start editing, eg. actually typing in that big white text box, could the 90 minute countdown timer just take a time-out or something?

- I don't believe a separate forum for non-SW RPGs to be necessary, or likely to be used much.

- Is it possible to show Posting Stars in one's profile? I am recently aware that these things were supposedly discontinued because of bad feeling between members, but since I can see them for users who watch me, I feel I am missing something by not being able to see my own. :(

- Better text-based search engine? With longer games, or where we carry characters over between games, what they did before is part of their history, and certainly recently, I have been having to delve quite far back for an event in a character's history. Maybe a drop down menu showing a years worth [face_sick] of locked games?

- Finally, since you'll never see my name and the words 'a keen observer of people' in the same sentence, I cannot say I have noticed an increase in players becoming hostile with each other. But I will make a point on what has made me irate in the past.
    1. 'Frag' is not a swear-word, you $%^&pots! Sorry, sorry...that actually wasn't the point I meant to make..., right, um, oh yeah, I don't mind getting unsolicited PMs inviting me into your RPG; in fact I like the implied kudos!

But give me the whole picture; warn my choobie about any prevailing conditions - restrictive playing, several days/weeks between GM updates, that sort of thing - I'm looking your way, IBoP. I've had an NRI agent stuck in hyperspace since April '05, and the poor little ***** has no key to the 'fresher.

2. GMs, please don't shut your games down through some poodoo reason, like school holidays. The kids are gonna be back in two weeks. Your game hasn't died through disinterest.

3. Naughty GMs, if you get a ban, while you have a game running, for frag's sake, serve out the ban, and come back; you're players need you. Coming on in socks to insult the mods is selfish and [pot calling kettle black]self-serving.[/pot calling kettle black]

Okay, I'm done. Cue an NP edit for improper use of spurious characters. :p

EDIT: 'Kay, just read this last page. RPF Council, PoT, EUS. I have no idea what you are talking about. Looks like I've got some reading ahead of me.../>
  24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    - I don't believe a separate forum for non-SW RPGs to be necessary, or likely to be used much.

I'd just like to point out that of course the board is not necessary, no growth is. However, the new board(s) will be a step to enlarge this community and hopefully bring more people into RPing as a whole. The opportunity to do it now cannot be missed, even if at the moment there will not be large amounts of activity at its immediate creation. Things grow. :)

Um, all the rest is really things I have nothing to add too at the moment. And I've already stated my opinion on the editing time. :)

I'll just... walk... away... softly....

:p
  25. jedi_killeroak Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi all, I am a RPer freak as it is, but I see alot of points being made and discussed here.

First: At least to me the RPGs shouln't be seperated cuss it gives some a chance to see what is out there. (I have three games going, well two now. So having them together isn't a bad idea. Then maybe seperating them to a different forums?)

Second: 3. Naughty GMs, if you get a ban, while you have a game running, for frag's sake, serve out the ban, and come back; you're players need you. Coming on in socks to insult the mods is selfish and [pot calling kettle black]self-serving.[/pot calling kettle black]

I totally agree with Sith-I-5 on that. We both are in a RPG without a GM. I won't name, names but it does create a situation that be ractified if he was in the game.

On the adoptions, that to me is a totally a different matter. Granted there is so much in that it could be set up a little differently. Like for an example, when a "New" person registers, it goes automacilly to the adoption site, not to where ever they want to, right off the back. Kinda "Welcome to the.....", if you know what I mean.

Thank you for your time. NP, I thank you for your time that you and the Council have been given to the Forums.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.