main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Forum reforms: Seeking input!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I aplogize if this has already been addressed, but I could not find it in my search. For the council, will there be a seperate, off-site message board for discussions? Their own private forum here like Fan Fic gets? Or no place? Just wondering.

3. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    I believe it will be all in here ... somewhere. Probably in a thread much like this.

Anything off-site would take the focus away from it being a Community Council for this board, which, quite reasonably, should be set up within the RPF.

4. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I was thinking that there could be a forum of it's own here for discussion and announcements and such, so we can keep this forum soley for RPing.

5. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    They will have a dedicated thread in this forum for all business and discussion. I'd like to keep the thing community-focused.

6. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Ah, okay. Thanks for answering. :)

7. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    I don't know that we need an entire forum for discussion, if you know what I mean ;) Only time will tell, however. Who knows, perhaps the idea of having two, one for SW RPGs and one for non-SW RPGs will be considered. In any case, the focus would be having a place to discuss things where the members of the RPF can easily see what's actually being discussed.

8. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    That way they can also express their own opinion on various matters and get an instant response from the council. It's an effective way of keeping everyone 'in the loop' as a former fellow employee at work always said.

9. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005
    I'm rather intrigued and very impressed by the council suggestions. In reading all posts regarding the Adoptions program, I can say that I would like to leave it's original creators in charge though as a council (as it was suggested) it should be a responsibility to help keep the lists and other announcements updated so that we don't frustrate the newcomers and leave them hanging in limbo for a trainer which seems to happen quite a lot. Though the point I would like to make, having had a fairly young trainer myself, I think it might be wise to up the ability to become a master to a year instead of 6 months. Not that my trainer was bad but there were somethings I had questions about that I only recieved answers from more experienced RPers.

I like the idea of the weekly or daily article on techniques and such. The ones we already have I found to be most helpful and rather entertaining. Though in looking at the now numberous sticky threads at the top, it appears to be to be a bit confusing. For example, I think "Rules" should always be at the very top of the sticky pile and it's title shown in all caps or possiblly changed to a red colored font (if you can) making it stand out more. Next the "RPG introduction service" is rather confusing for a newcomer. Or at least for me because it was very easy to mix it up with the "RPF Adoptions program" or thinking it was a place to introduce yourself as a new member. Perhaps we should think about renaming it to "RPG spotlights" or something else instead. Just an idea and suggestion.

It's also exciting to hear that there will be two additional RP Forums. However, in light of that news, I'm wondering if you will also be appointing councils for those forums as well or will the council be responible for all RP forums?

And just how is this voting coucil members work exactly. Everyone I would nominate and vote for has been nominated but I'm still confused as to how the final result and outcome will work. Do we ever get to vote for the nominees?

10. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    Unfortunately there is no way to change font colors or order of the sticky threads, they are what they are. I've done the best I could to clarify the titles and make them simpler so people know what each thread is.

There won't be any voting for council members. I will be appointing people who have been nominated in the Nominations thread to make things more streamlined and get everything up and running quickly.

11. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The council would be in charge of all the forums that are available under the RPF banner. Having so many in the team should mean that there won't be any problems keeping everything under control. That said, NP will have priority control above all else.

12. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Are you trying to hit on me? ;)

NP: Interesting news on the forum expansion. Cogs are turning and the game's afoot, or so it would seem. :) ;)
    The future looks bright for the RPF.

13. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    Guys, this thread appeared to my behold. First of all I want to say, that I think more rules will make this forum lose substantial interest, and the creation of a non-sw rpg is only a invitation to stray from the purpose of the JC. While I do agree something should be done about the non-sw rpgs, I don't think we should create a new forum. Another problem I think we have is the lack of support for many noobies. Many people flame them and the only instinct they have is to flame back, nobody ever says anything about it either until a mod shows up and bans a few people. Sometimes, people get away with it, which calls for one or two more moderators to make sure this forum functions properly.

All the veterans of the rpf seem to lay down some pretty good thoughts on the difficulties of midbies, oldbies, and noobies fighting each other. My personal opinion is there isn't enough communication, between oldbies and newbies, and as a result we have many potentially good rp that continue to use incorrect grammar, and post things they don't even fit the previous player's scene.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Do I need to answer that?

:p

From the current guidelines:
    Potential adopters must be registered users for at least five months and have a minimum post count of 500 posts.

What you suggest could have a good affect on the knowledge level of the adopter, but it may also have an affect on the amount of adopters. Unfortunately, I'm going to disagree with you and say that the current rules, or if it was made to the more logical 6 months, is sufficient in my eyes. The choice to adopt is up to the individual person, if they would like to wait for longer, that's not a problem. But if someone has the enthusiasm, I think it would be good for them to go for it.

Even if they don't know some questions, they could always direct the questions to one of the many more knowledgeable people in the RPF that have been around for quite some time?and from what I read I see that's what you did. :) Now, I don't know your case, so don't know the particular things in question, but you have to accept that not all adopters will know everything. That's another reason why I think establishing bigger community aspects for everyone to learn and be involved in will be a great boon. :)

Being able to colourise and edit the stickies or any thread for that matter would be interesting if used thoughtfully. However, as NP said, at the moment this is not possible. But, always in motion is the future. :)

Quellonis: What rules do you mean? :confused:

I assume that what you imply by saying 'the purpose of the JC' is Star Wars. Which is true, although another purpose for people is also to interact and talk with fellow humans in a social way. As is shown by the JCC and large amount of social threads. With the end of the SW films, the forums need to still be able to grow and continue along as they were. Expansion, even if non-SW, is a good step. (Side comment: Note that there is a new sci-fi forum being started up next year as well, which is for discussion/talk about anything sci-fi but SW... just thought I'd mention.)

Star Wars will always be part of the forums, but giving people the opportunity to go beyond that does have its benefits. It's not like Star Wars will end anytime soon, nor people's interest. :D

Of course, this is just my humble opinion. :)

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, NaboosPrincess appoints the council members, giving her the supreme power. Sounds like all those years with Jello in the Galactic Empire Thread has turned her to an imperialist!

Democracy! The people need a voice!

:D :p ;)

(This was meant totally in jest, BTW. I have nothing but respect for the Princess of Naboo)

--Adm. Nick

16. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    I think we have arrived at a crossroads.

"The Saga is complete."

You will have remaining those who are SW enthusiasts and those who enjoy writing and honing their writing skills.

A few more may come on board when the SW TV show begins.

What we must discover and nurture is what we all have in common.

More rules complicate the issue and confuse people.

What we all have is enthusiasm.
    Channel that enthusiasm into a positive direction.

Does it matter truly if one writes in a SW RPG or a Non SW RPG?

I believe most people probably do both. That's good.

Diversity is good.

Be positive and people will respond in a positive manner.
    Encourage.
    Nurture.
    Praise.

Ok...I will now step down from my soapbox.

17. goblin_fire

Sep 25, 2005
    From the current guidelines:
    Potential adopters must be registered users for at least five months and have a minimum post count of 500 posts.

What you suggest could have a good affect on the knowledge level of the adopter, but it may also have an affect on the amount of adopters. Unfortunately, I'm going to disagree with you and say that the current rules, or if it was made to the more logical 6 months, is sufficient in my eyes. The choice to adopt is up to the individual person, if they would like to wait for longer, that's not a problem. But if someone has the enthusiasm, I think it would be good for them to go for it.

Even if they don't know some questions, they could always direct the questions to one of the many more knowledgeable people in the RPF that have been around for quite some time?and from what I read I see that's what you did. Now, I don't know your case, so don't know the particular things in question, but you have to accept that not all adopters will know everything. That's another reason why I think establishing bigger community aspects for everyone to learn and be involved in will be a great boon.

Being able to colourise and edit the stickies or any thread for that matter would be interesting if used thoughtfully. However, as NP said, at the moment this is not possible. But, always in motion is the future.

As to the sticky pile again, just an observation and suggestion. Thanks for clarifying.

You do have some good points, but don't you think that discourages the Newcomer in some ways? It's not to say that I disagree entirely with you, everyone is at their own levels within this forum, regardless of how long they've been on this forum. But to be a newcomer, one does feel a bit overwhelmed and may not be comfortable with going to someone else for the answers when they were under the impression that their trainer would be able to help them improve their skills and guide them through the forum.

Now I myself don't mind asking questions (even though sometimes I feel that asking them annoys the crap out of people) but there are some Newcomers who are shy and have a hard time asking questions and going to some one other than their trainer may make them wonder just why in the world they got a trainer in the first place. Which can make them feel confused and frustrated not to mention stupid and silly for joining the forum in the first place.

Which is why I think it might be better to have more experienced Roleplayers take on the responsibilities of training newcomers because it is less frustrating.

At the same time I understand how this forum might have limited resources in experienced Roleplayers. So maybe the other thing to do is to allow them to take on more than one newcomer but no more than three. Or up the requirements to being a trainer then simply stating that they have to be on the forum for atleast 5 months and minimum 500 posts. Perhaps you should also require that they show their RP skills by posting links to the RP's they're involved in and maybe make up a test to test their knowledge of the RP forum.

*sigh* Which I'm sure you'll come back to say that discourages people from being adopters. And it may but personally I'd rather make sure that we have quality trainers then to see more and more newcomers feel frustrated, confused and overwhelmed so much that they just leave the forum entirely.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Very true, very true. If that became the case?if there was an adopter who didn't know an answer but someone more experienced did, (and especially in the case if their adoptee is very new and 'shy')?it becomes a case of maturity for the adopter. The simple thing is to direct their adoptee to the person who would know the answer?however as you pointed out that may cause anxiety for the newcomer. But of course, for some newcomers, they're quite fine with that.

But for the others, a possible solution for newer adopters in this situation, is if they were to go further in their service by acknowledging that they don't know the answer, but then contact someone that would themselves. By asking that person to make first contact with their adoptee, it would probably make it easier for the newcomer to feel okay asking his/her question?especially if the knowledgeable person was very welcoming. This could break the waters and help smooth any thoughts the newcomer may have about PMing a completely new person with what he/she thinks is a stupid question (as we all do when we don't know the answer ;)).

But what you say is true. If an adopter new everything, then it would be all smooth sailing. The coconut and palm trees would be beautiful. But in the end, it comes down to whether you want a smaller number and (hopefully) more experienced adopters, or a larger number which may involve some that lack total knowledge, but still have the enthusiasm to do it.

Circles we run in. :p

Don't steal my response! :p j/k

Seriously though, I can feel where you're coming from. But as I said above, it's just which one you want to choose. And it's a sad day anyone would feel the need to leave on those grounds.

Are there any other opinions out there? Perhaps with more voices and suggestions, we could look into making subtle chances to the requirements to try and make it a better program for everyone. Or hear some more reasons for its current status?

19. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    With regards to the shy newbies, I think it's a great point and something we definitely have to consider. But I also think there's a fine line between helping and babying. We shouldn't be spoonfeeding them everything they need to know-- part of the point of the Adoptions program ought to be getting the newcomers out of their shells and encouraging them to step out, play the big games, ask questions, etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with directing an adoptee to someone else if that person can give a better answer. Actually, they should be talking to as many people as possible. Maybe they will make some more friends.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    IMO, one of the hardest things that more experienced gamers need to work on is showing more patience towards young players. I recall that shortly after I took over leading the New Republic Faction of IBoP that I had several new players who, quite frankly, did not show much skill in RPing. I somewhat brashly began to write them off- until I decided to take a good long look at myself.

Going back, I found my first post in the RPF, as a young lieutenant in the NR Navy of IBoP. The post was so poor in quality and basic that I almost fell out of my chair.

It was this that made me realize that it is the duty of every older and more experienced RPer to aid in developing the skills of new players. I concur with NaboosPrincess that we cannot spoonfeed them, but I do feel that it takes a fair amount of effort to help young players. And, while this process can be trying at times, the payoff is one more experienced player who will make a great addition to any RP.

--Adm. Nick

21. goblin_fire

Sep 25, 2005
    No one said anything about spoonfeeding the newcomers, just that it would help if we did have more experienced adopters to lessen the anxiety in some of them and make the transition more smooth for them. That was all.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And more importantly, lead them in deeds as well as by example. Very few people are precocious enough to be naturally skilled--so seasoning a person is what turns them into a better player.

23. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I couldn't agree more. Almost every experienced player starts out like your average newbie. Just like Nick said, going back to see your own first RPG posts is really eye opening. I remember I didn't even know what TAG meant but was too scared to say anything for a while.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Winged_Jedi:

Exactly! When someone posted "IIRC" in a post, I was too afraid to ask, for fear of looking dumb. I wish that everyone would look at there first posts, or at least look back to when they first began RPing. It is the same as looking at a paper you wrote in high school and comparing it to a paper written in college. It is time and experience that slowly turn new players into experienced players.

In regards to the adoptee program, I feel that there should be some form of accountability for those who do the training. It is one thing to say that you are adopting a new player, but it is another to follow through and see to it that progress is made.

--Adm. Nick

25. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    The accountability thing is a really good idea. Maybe we could have the adopters do bi-weekly reports or something listing what they've covered with their adoptees, and any problems they may have encountered. That could also help us figure out what ti change/fix about the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.